• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 240 Replacement Windshield

In the Portland area I would recommend:

http://www.kingsautoglassinc.com/

Ask for Pedro to do the work, he is the owner of the company and does a great job. He has replaced the glass in two of my Volvos and done a great job. In my 85 245 turbo he put the newer style windshield in with the newer style seal and it has been fantastic.

Digging all of the old butyl out isn't much fun, but it's doable with a heat gun and patience.
When you get near the end of the job, WD-40 will melt the rest. (Well, it would melt the whole thing, but it turns into a gosh awful mess. Peel away what you can, first.)

When you get near the end of the job, WD-40 will melt the rest. (Well, it would melt the whole thing, but it turns into a gosh awful mess. Peel away what you can, first.)

Goo Gone works really well. I use just a few squirts applied to a paper towel, then wipe until that area of the towel is black, then repeat. Wear gloves and protect the dash & bodywork with masking paper or plastic or old towels or something to keep the black schmoo off of surfaces you care about.

Goo Gone is made out of petroleum distillates and D-limonene, but mineral spirits would likely be a pretty decent substitute too - I doubt it would hurt Volvo enamel paint.

Goo Gone works really well. I use just a few squirts applied to a paper towel, then wipe until that area of the towel is black, then repeat. Wear gloves and protect the dash & bodywork with masking paper or plastic or old towels or something to keep the black schmoo off of surfaces you care about.

Goo Gone is made out of petroleum distillates and D-limonene, but mineral spirits would likely be a pretty decent substitute too - I doubt it would hurt Volvo enamel paint.

Thanks for the tips. Especially the one about Goo Gone. I've got more Satan's tar removal in my near future and was contemplating effective options that wouldn't make the interior reek too badly.

Any mild enamel paint reducer will remove the butyl rubber. Dupont 3812S or PPG DX330 work great. Just make sure you are wearing nitrile gloves to keep your skin from absorbing the solvent. Everyone on here should have one of those two products on their shelf. Both are used to clean surfaces before painting and have a million and one other uses.

Is glass really getting scarce now? Ugh. Is it time to buy up new windshields and hoard them in my attic?

Maybe depending on where you live, and how good your glass company is?

I can call up my glass guy and get a 240 window installed for $180, and the lead time is just a few days.

Maybe depending on where you live, and how good your glass company is?

I can call up my glass guy and get a 240 window installed for $180, and the lead time is just a few days.

same, but it's all chinese and I couldn't get non-shaded which I would have liked. ALL chinese, even the Pilkington stuff.

Not that I care, beats the hell out of a 250k sand frosted stocker... but some guys on here get all sortsa hung up on the Pilkington thing.

same, but it's all chinese and I couldn't get non-shaded which I would have liked. ALL chinese, even the Pilkington stuff.

Not that I care, beats the hell out of a 250k sand frosted stocker... but some guys on here get all sortsa hung up on the Pilkington thing.

Mine was a Fuyau (chinese company) made in the US, but it's pretty soft and already has some chips.

There's an interesting documentary on the Fuyau plant in Ohio, it's called "American Factory".

Got a quote from Euroglass in Redmond, WA for a windshield installed in my 242. $325 installed, plus any rust repair, and tax... So, it'll probably be around $450-$500 when all is said and done. Is from Pilkington's Trival line of glass. Dropping the car off on the 6th and will pick it up on the 7th, since they're now only working in the mornings, due to the virus.

But, better than not seeing pedestrians at an intersection because the late afternoon sun decides to hit the severely pitted 1982 vintage Volvo windshield, completely obscuring them from view. Which, yes, happened a few days ago. Not happy about it. Didn't hit them, but, they were about 4' away from the car as I was turning right onto the intersecting road.

Got a quote from Euroglass in Redmond, WA for a windshield installed in my 242. $325 installed, plus any rust repair, and tax... So, it'll probably be around $450-$500 when all is said and done. Is from Pilkington's Trival line of glass. Dropping the car off on the 6th and will pick it up on the 7th, since they're now only working in the mornings, due to the virus.

But, better than not seeing pedestrians at an intersection because the late afternoon sun decides to hit the severely pitted 1982 vintage Volvo windshield, completely obscuring them from view. Which, yes, happened a few days ago. Not happy about it. Didn't hit them, but, they were about 4' away from the car as I was turning right onto the intersecting road.

Turns out, no rust repair was needed. Kinda shocking, considering that the car came from New York. So, total was $352.32 with tax. Cost without tax was actually $320. Pics are in the "what did you do to your car(ride) today" thread.

I have two bulls eyes and my chrome trim has been gone since before I owned it. It seems to be OEM. This thread is very helpful.

I saw a guide recently on pulling your windshield, doing the rust repair, and adding an aftermarket rubber trim to update it to the newer style essentially. I might repair the bullseyes the best I can and go with this option, as it's pretty cheap to do...

Do most glass companies offer rust repair?

Back