• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Has anybody gotten a hot interior after installing the tropical clutch fan?

VolvoLatAm

Has anybody gotten a hot interior after installing the tropical fan clutch?

I installed a tropical clutch fan that blows hard/keep radiator cool (also kills gas mileage).

Now all of the hot air is somehow directed at the transmission tunnel (which volvo never put heat shielding on) and it makes the interior pretty much an oven like the interior in a viper or miata.

I have a nissen's radiator and I am just going to get an electronic fan that doesn't push so much heat into the cockpit because I can't deal with this

Are you sure your heater valve hasn't failed in the ON position like they tend to do?

/\ /\ /\ What he said. Failed on mine, I put up with it for a while until the middle of the LS swap when I had that firewall heater connector out anyway. Little plastic valve ball just came loose from the lever, and stayed open regardless of the lever position.

Try pinching one of the heater hoses shut in the engine bay and see if that improves the situation.

The engine produces a certain amount of heat, I don't think blowing less air through the radiator will really help the situation. Where else will it go?

Guys I already have the heater valve blocked off mod

Double check to make sure it's working.

The heat from your engine goes only four places: the radiator, the heater core, the exhaust, and radiation from the block itself into the engine bay.

Even with a normal fan clutch the inside of the bay gets super hot. I really don't think the slightly increased airflow from the tropical clutch is making the flow through the transmission tunnel significantly hotter.

If you install the seal around the shifter. That may help some. It is normal for the shifter to get hot in the heat of the summer around here.

Double check to make sure it's working.

The heat from your engine goes only four places: the radiator, the heater core, the exhaust, and radiation from the block itself into the engine bay.

Even with a normal fan clutch the inside of the bay gets super hot. I really don't think the slightly increased airflow from the tropical clutch is making the flow through the transmission tunnel significantly hotter.

when it is blocked off, it means there are no hoses connected to the wall. it circulates the jacket water in a loop! Disconnected/looped I guess!

Last edited:
Come on guys you haven't read his entire post history before commenting?

there is no need for your comments, I don't need to mention anything about my heater valve. Everybody on these car forums dangerously assumes things.

On the porsche forums if you ask where to buy certain parts they always tell you how to fix you car vs telling you were to buy 'x' part. It's the same everywhere I guess.

If you're going to suggest something that I didn't mention for the cooling in the car, you might as well ask if I was shirtless or wearing a ski jacket in the same manner.

they make a foam piece that goes under shifter boot. I just used a push mower foam air filter, worked great cut down on heat and noise.

Just found some of these on the internet, they look good. I should have heat shielded everything when the transmission was out for good measure--this is the go-to miata mod.

Using generic foam is not a good idea for a shifter seal. The foam that Volvo uses doesn't absorb water. The generic foam absorbs water and will keep wet foam up against the body of the car. Maybe if you coated the foam with something to stop the water being held in the foam.

Last edited:
there is no need for your comments, I don't need to mention anything about my heater valve. Everybody on these car forums dangerously assumes things.

On the porsche forums if you ask where to buy certain parts they always tell you how to fix you car vs telling you were to buy 'x' part. It's the same everywhere I guess.

If you're going to suggest something that I didn't mention for the cooling in the car, you might as well ask if I was shirtless or wearing a ski jacket in the same manner.

did you whine about it on the porsche site too? :roll:

So if the fan blows less air through the radiator, where does the heat generated by the motor go?

Do you have any obvious air leaks where air in the engine compartment could blow into the interior?

So if the fan blows less air through the radiator, where does the heat generated by the motor go?

Do you have any obvious air leaks where air in the engine compartment could blow into the interior?

there is no need for your comments, I don't need to mention anything about my air leaks. Everybody on these car forums dangerously assumes things.

I'm in the Northeast, so it may not be as noticeable as down South, but I have not noticed any increase in cabin temperature or measurable change in fuel economy since installing the tropical fan clutch in a B230F and D24.

Using generic foam is not a good idea for a shifter seal. The foam that Volvo uses doesn't absorb water. The generic foam absorbs water and will keep wet foam up against the body of the car. Maybe if you coated the foam with something to stop the water being held in the foam.

I remember now, this might be redneck but I wrapped it with heavy duty duct tape. lol.

I assume you have checked the.....

I only put the tropical fan clutch in my 240's .......never had the problem you are describing.

Back