• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M47 mods for better "feel"

HiSPL

Fanking Champion 1993
I will need a clutch soon and will likely refresh my M47 while its apart. I need a first gear syncro for sure. What else should I do while its apart? Any easy or "have to do" mods while I've got it out of the car?

Use will be sporty daily driver. Just looking for a better feel and easier rev matching. No turbo, just a warmed up NA b230.

The STS shifter bushings are a good idea. Bronze and delrin. Makes the shifter more solid and minimizes the slop. A 164 engine mount as a heavy duty transmission mount also helped with shifter feel on mine.

It might be hard to find that synchro unless you have another gearbox for parts.

If you can handle the vibrations, replacing the shifter cage bushings with something other than blown out rubber really helps too.

You can also rebuild (re-pin) the shifter u-joint thing if it has a bunch of slop.

Are you talking about the u-joint part, or the fork that goes around the bottom of the shift lever?

I suppose you could call that the u joint.

its part that has the sheet metal sleeve you have to remove to pull the dowel pins out of.

That coupler cover sleeve is no longer available. So be careful not to ruin it when replacing the oring in the coupler and checking it for play. I second the trans mount upgrade to the 164 mount. That works very well and your shifter won't jump around anymore.

Solid.

I grabbed some Diesel motor mounts the other day on facebook. That and the 164 mount will be as stiff as I'd want it I think.

I put the brass bushing from sts in mine feels great! much more precise feel but i mean the best mod would be a cd009

CD009, T5, Getrag, etc. All would give you easier access to new synchros and other rebuild parts. But I have a feeling that it would be going a bit too deep down the rabbit hole for a mild NA B230.

CD009, T5, Getrag, etc. All would give you easier access to new synchros and other rebuild parts. But I have a feeling that it would be going a bit too deep down the rabbit hole for a mild NA B230.

Yes. The whole point of this car is to keep it uncut and use stock stuff.

If I put in a T5, well I might as well drop in the B6304 because I already have the adaptor, etc, etc.....

One of these days I'll find the perfect 242 shell to build the hot rod of my dreams. Until then I'm just gonna commute in this 244.

I seem to recall that the case would flex when hit with quite a bit more power than stock and (can't remember which) gears would move apart far enough to start stripping teeth off one (or both).

I wondered if an external steel girdle might provide support to prevent the above happening.

But this probably no concern for HSPL's stockish setup.

I seem to recall that the case would flex when hit with quite a bit more power than stock and (can't remember which) gears would move apart far enough to start stripping teeth off one (or both).

I wondered if an external steel girdle might provide support to prevent the above happening.

But this probably no concern for HSPL's stockish setup.

Lulz. My 112 furious horses are going to rip that case apart!

Back