• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1976 M46 OD issue.

TouringMusician

1976 M46, OD always worked fine, no visible leaks.

Drove a friend 1.5 hours to the airport, all highway in OD, worked perfectly. Leave the airport, immediately starts slipping into and out of OD, but the OD dash light remains on.

Does the light remaining on mean that the issue is internal to the OD or is that light just wired to the switch on the shifter? It?s the old non relay switch setup.

Thanks!

Update:

Got 20 minutes of sweet blissful OD, now back to spastically popping in and out. Jiggled connections to solenoid, no improvement.

Driving home with civic level rpms in the slow lane :-|

Check the oil level in the trans. With the light on it means the power is going to the solenoid. With low oil, it will hunt for pressure to engage the O/D

My guess would be one of the following:
1. The Overdrive may need to be resealed. (The three ports under the OD inspection cover)
2. The solenoid might need to be removed and cleaned.
3. The transmission and overdrive might be low on oil

Ok, so it’s full of oil, I guess I just need to start tracing wires?

I just was confused about which side of the switch the solenoid and light were on to narrow down my search.

Been a while since I’ve had an m46, but were still using ATF type F in these guys, right?

Yes, Type F in there will work fine. Use a test light to check for power to the solenoid so you know the wires carry enough current. There is a short ground wire to ground the solenoid to the overdrive. Make sure that is clean and tight.

PS The shifter wiring can break from all the years of flexing.

Last edited:
Back