• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

dem rangz shipped finally. need to figure out which machine shop around here I can take the block to for accurate borin' and honin'

I didn't last time, I dunno. I did get the other two sets of rings yesterday. Summit.. two boxes with two sets per, shipped from the same place a day apart.

Honing plate and heat up the block? How inert is that filler? I just wonder if it alters the expandability of the iron any. Enjoy reading your projects. Crazy stuff!

There was a previous thread were it was endlessly debated as to the efficacy and need of using torque plates when honing a motor.

Personally, when boring a motor I use torque plates when honing to final size - iron block or not. If you are just cleaning up with a dingle ball hone it doesn't seem to make any difference.

indeed. I have been working on other folks stuff and haven't made progress on either of my cars as a result (along the lines of, if I don't have time to work on their stuff how can I have time to work on my stuff). hope still springs eternal for a return this year, but we'll see. Getting lifts in the shop (and the two other cars done and out) will go a long way to getting things moving again.

ok, facebook land already knows this, but the car was pulled out for a rinse down (and mainly to get it out of the way for shop re-org and lift installation). It was subsequently backed into by the F150 (by me. oops), but aside from the driver's rear door taking an ass beating, it's not much worse for the wear. It's had a number of setbacks over the years.. tool box fell over onto it. Hard to get too upset about it though, I've long had a hate/love/hate relationship with this car. Reckon that's what happens when you get in a rush and buy the first ****box roller you come across, but that decision was made a long time ago, and it's replacement is still a ways off from being ready yet.

anyway, this post is not about the long awaited return of the stroker beast, but a conversation the other day got the gears turning and I will likely throw together spare parts (and maybe a few choice new ones) to get it back to the track again. I will be playing with suspension this time to try and work all that out since the replacement chassis is also of 7/9 origin, and I'll have a bit of freedom to use and abuse the ol 90' along the way to hopefully cut down on..well cutting down on the other one.

I was going to just toss a turbo manifold on one of the spare engines laying around, but sam talked me out of that (took about 10 seconds all told), given my stack of spare 16v stuff. so... probably a set of used hbeams that donnie never picked up, some careful fly cutting of the NA pistons, and then the more familiar ancillaries (as well as the bulk of the new fuel system since I sold my old injectors, and the 044's have been shelved long enough to be a concern, but maybe not.. I'll backyard flow test them and see what I get).

so yeah. wheeeeeee and all that.

cleared out the other corner and moved the lift (finally)
169845483.jpg

dug through the photos I got off the phone so I can locate the deeper pads (20 feet in, and about a foot outside the roll up door frame). got a fair bit of the shop cleaned up and put up now (though, there's still a wad of **** in the middle area. will get that this weekend probably, along with installing the 2 post), so much space for activities! (I've thrown away a fair amount of stuff, and will have a truckload of crap to take to the garbage pickup this weekend). may see if I can dig up a used floor buffer/cleaner to keep it nice. may not, who knows.

and because darkspeed was crying...
169845469.jpg

pic taken before I smoked the rear door with the pickup truck. (also visible in the background: nuc hive and a swarm in a hive along the fence, and my grossly overgrown raised bed that will be removed this winter and.. I'll plant blueberries or something there and move the garden, and try again :sigh: )

same car lift as mine but in black. Super easy install. Double check the wiring for the circuit that is wired to the height sensor. Mine was wired backwards.

parts cannon has been fired (though not quite everything is on order yet. some small snags, and a couple other odds and ends yet to sort out).

as part of this deal, I'm replacing the now ~ 10 year old fuel lines with something that's actually rated for use with ethanol (not really a whole lot more than replacing the lines in general, mainly just the new fittings), and ordered up 8 210lb injectors (ouch-ish). Death by a thousand cuts @ fcp (seals and gaskets and what not) and ****, I didn't order a new tensioner yet.

lift is almost finished in the shop, hoping that this evening I can get the bulk of that done, the bulk of the shop re-org done, and maybe even push the gold car back there and up on the lift to size things up and kill all the wasp nests/black widows/etc that have surely taken up residence.

oh yeah, and a set of cams from yoshifab because why not. have springs/retainers, head gasket, and fuel pumps left on the list (10 year old abused 044's... I dunno on those guys. I'm sure I have two working ones if not three, but... it'd be a lot of work and a real bitch to blow it up because a pump I was too cheap to replace ate ****).. I think I'm going to try and put either 2x 450's in the tank, or maybe 2x of the hellcat pumps if the mood strikes.

starting to get a little excited about it.

Back