• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

John Lane's Fire Breathing Monster info & pics

Does this mean I win the bet for who could run the fastest lap at Thunderhill by default? That's alright, I knew I'd beet you anyways :wiggle: .

Glad to hear you walked away yet again.
Patrick D.

Good to see your in one piece john ,

Makes me want to go and do the rally thing again !!

About the shocks , my friend started running proflex suspension on his darrian after using LEDA , the difference was night and day and only ?500 a corner , an engineer will usually come on the first test session to help with set up .

Ive found , you cannot budget for dampers , the more expensive they are , the better quality they are aswell , this relates to how you feel with the car. When running the race car , dynamics suspension allowed us to tune so finely , an extra 100 kgs of weight had no detriment to the way the car felt .(the extra 100 kgs was to get to the weight limit)

holy post ressurection batman, just thought i'd bump this for the lots of new guys coming on the board. and to encourge john to pull his finger out and get it sorted again so we can hear more war stories.

Vance's car is the former Karl Yardevall 740 turbo.
It has a 2.3 turbo that is making 300lb/ft at the wheels, a proper 4 speed dogbox, Sellholm suspension goodies, and is otherwise still in need of a LOT of help.
Vance will have a LOT of fun with it.

I'm now needing to get my Volvo back together. Got a taste of it this last weekend.

John.

coldfusion21 said:
no offense, but for a turbo engine that is not exactly what ones after, especially with rally cars.

curious why your after that number?

..because a 500bhp turbo engine, running only 11 psi, would be around 300bhp in normally aspirated form.

grizlyadams said:
the more NA you have...the even more you have boosted...thats waht i always thought
Griz

Yes, thats right.

A 250bhp n/a prv V6 is sucking an atmosphere of pressure. Add another atmosphere of boost (14.7psi) and the required fuel and the absolute maximum you 'could' acheive is double the power....but this is never the case as the atmosphere of boost is heated, the exhaust side of the turbo system is more restricted than a normally aspirated system, the engine compression is usually lowered, and the head design cannot simply flow double its previous capability. The more boost, the more pressure drops we have across inlet, plenums, valve area etc...

Rule of thumb is around 18 psi of boost is required to double the bhp output of a normally aspirated engine.

Last edited:
Holy Thread resurrection Batman!!

I never had the car on the chassis dyno when it was Naturally Aspirated.
As Naturally aspirated with a pair of IDA-3 Webers it was faster then the N/A three liter.
When I gave it Electromotive injection it really woke up in the top end.

It did then get turbocharged which made it a different animal altogether.

The Fire Breathing Monster is currenty taking up space in my sister-in-law's steel building behind her house....... It will soon be making the trip to our new place for some much-needed attention. I am looking forward to remapping for more power, more torque and making the spectators run even further, faster....... You get the idea.

Stay tuned......

John Lane

DaveART said:
Are there actually any dyno plots to see of the turbo engine?

It was misplaced years ago if in fact I ever left with it...... I sure will get another when it gets tuned again. This will likely be this coming spring.

504lb/ft at the wheels at 4000 with 11lbs of boost is the one that was most memorable on the chassis dyno. It has been much more amusing with 15lbs of boost, which was done later but not on the chassis dyno. As the next chapter in the project progresses I will certainly put an effort into keeping track of paperwork. In the past I have not cared enough to do so.

Show of hands.....To all who have ridden in my car.... Any question as to the validity to the power claims? Hee-hee......

JL

Last edited:
Back