• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

New look

ePaUM.jpg

May still be some air in there. I was able to seal my cap and only had the air in the new lines and calipers to remove. But a tiny bit got into the distribution block when I removed those 2 lines. As it turned out -- that air came out when I bled the back brakes. And I had to let quite a bit of fluid through before that air came out. But - it's firm now!

20 psi with the new cam is fun. Still slow, but fun. I bumped the timing up quite a bit and made some great improvements. I really need someone else to drive while I tune to get it really dialed in.

At this point, the car is a fun daily driver. Except for problems that I've created myself, it's been worry-free. I feel like the more I modify and change, the inherently less reliable the car is going to be.

Forgot to mention the new poly bushings on the front with the lower subframe braces-both a $20 junkyard score.

It totally transformed how the car handles. I can now flick the car between lanes with minimal body roll. Can't wait to see how it's going to handle some of my favorite mountain roads.

I had some issues on Friday with not being able to set the timing correctly. It was knocking badly at 10psi around 3k rpm and I dared not push it farther.

Came back, and found that the CAS was out of alignment. I went back and forth rotating the adapter in the hole in the block, but couldn't get the CAS where it needed to be.

After awhile, I broke down and took the front covers off. Messed with the intermediate shaft some and got it aligned, and have enough room to adjust the base timing by rotating the CAS.

The new cam is a nice improvement. Pulls much longer than the K did.

Tuned it a little late last night and fed it quite a bit of timing and it reeeeally woke the car up. It's solidly in "Quick" territory now. 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the highway are much improved.

Last edited:
Why is the P/S pump reservoir tilted at such an angle towards the left? Supposed to sit upright/level. Maybe you are missing on of the brackets it needs?

Nice FW toS brace. You should make you a S to S brace to match it.

Also nice color scheme ya have going there.

He's gettin' a good amount of S-to-S Mike with the one-piece cross bar that bolts to the firewall, and the crossbar that's welded in further out.

Power steering belt is a little too short. Helps clear the cold side IC piping though.

Car ran great on the 3 hour ride back to school.

Glad to hear it. Next time home, if you need a volunteer driver while you play with the laptop from the passenger's seat - give me a bit of a heads up and I'd be honored to help.

Are you using the standard bracket for the power steering pump? I purchased a "non-a/c" bracket for my pump of that style, and it tilts it out to the right side, and with intake manifold, it doesn't fit. Yours looks like with the right sized belt it may sit fairly straight up and down - which would be perfect.

Is it just the standard bracket?

Reallllly? Could you take a picture of it for me? Like of the bracketry on the back, mounting etc. I couldn't figure out how to mount it any other way and it sticks out too far.

I'd really appreciate it if you could.

Back