• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Universal AC Compressor

TempleUWS6

Has anyone found what compressors on the market will work in place of a Kiki style unit or any rotary 85-92.

Will a Sanden 508 style work?

The dimensions seem pretty damn close to the Kiki unit I have in the garage. Just curious for future needs if anyone has experience with a universal one.

Last edited:
Also interested in this info as I want to resurrect the AC in my 86 244. I heard the 7 piston compressors would be a nice upgrade or at least have potential to perform better.

On a side note, do the compressors need to have the same style sensors the stock Volvo ones do? Its where the green wire connects to sensor and then seems to go between pulley and front of compressor.

As long as it has a single power wire to engage the clutch it will work.

Also interested in this info as I want to resurrect the AC in my 86 244. I heard the 7 piston compressors would be a nice upgrade or at least have potential to perform better.

On a side note, do the compressors need to have the same style sensors the stock Volvo ones do? Its where the green wire connects to sensor and then seems to go between pulley and front of compressor.

I bought a Four Seasons branded one from FCPeuro many years ago. It was physically a bit larger and had a larger diameter pulley than the original. It's lasted over ten years now. Had the same mounting tabs which fit the Volvo brackets perfectly. This was a R134 type for a 93 245.

All that pops up at FCPEuro is the OEM Volvo for $600+, RockAuto does list these though:

VARIOUS MFR 7511612 Info
Sanden; SD7H15; 6 Groove .75 IN X 4.927 IN; 8 Ear; Top Deep Pad; R Switch
$165.79

UAC CO2011Q {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} w/ Clutch Info One of our most popular parts
DKS15CH Style
$232.79

FOUR SEASONS 58521 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} w/ Clutch Info
w/ DKS15BH Compressor
$239.79

NISSENS 89321 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the USA. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Number of grooves: 2; Pulley diam.: 5-5/16"
$252.79

I bought a Four Seasons branded one from FCPeuro many years ago. It was physically a bit larger and had a larger diameter pulley than the original. It's lasted over ten years now. Had the same mounting tabs which fit the Volvo brackets perfectly. This was a R134 type for a 93 245.

I have the Four Seasons compressor on my 1990 240 too. It's still running after about 4 years-and blowing cool air. It probably could be colder but I didn't adjust the expansion valve like some members have done with better results. (I read about that after the fact!)
Glad to hear that your compressor is over 10 years old, dl242gt!

A friend bought and installed this sanden compressor. He had to slightly enlarge some of the mounting hardware to clear the power wiring but other than that it was a straight install. He ran R134a in it through his stock 87 AC system and simply had the AC lines retrofitted with filling ports to make checking/refilling refrigerant easy. Additionally he flushed the condenser and stripped it with an industrial condenser cleaner called Nu-Brite. He's been getting 30-40 degree vent temps with that system in our hot Texas sun.

A friend bought and installed this sanden compressor. He had to slightly enlarge some of the mounting hardware to clear the power wiring but other than that it was a straight install. He ran R134a in it through his stock 87 AC system and simply had the AC lines retrofitted with filling ports to make checking/refilling refrigerant easy. Additionally he flushed the condenser and stripped it with an industrial condenser cleaner called Nu-Brite. He's been getting 30-40 degree vent temps with that system in our hot Texas sun.

this is awesome info. I gotta look into this, roasting in my 240 on I10 in New Orleans for 4 months was, at times, not fun.

I ordered this from Nostalgic Air nine years ago and never had an issue.
Over $200 now, but it was still a good experience. They're very helpful.

Last edited:
The link says oops. Some good info in this thread that gives me confidence I might actually be able to reinstall AC on my 240.

That four seasons one is a lower price than I paid over ten years ago. I paid $265 now it's down to a bit over $232.

If this is for the 1990. That year doesn't have a pusher fan. Add a pusher fan for much better slow speed and idling performance in the a/c.

Did you sell your 79?

That four seasons one is a lower price than I paid over ten years ago. I paid $265 now it's down to a bit over $232.

If this is for the 1990. That year doesn't have a pusher fan. Add a pusher fan for much better slow speed and idling performance in the a/c.

Did you sell your 79?

Good info guys. No, I'm working on the '79 now actually. I'm putting together a budget/ effort friendly AC builds on both my '90 and '79. I'm most of the way there on the 242.

As it's planned now:
-242 I ditched the York for a Kiki including bracket and '91-'93 PS pump
-Universal Parallel Flow condenser
-Fittings and hose from coldhose.com, got a crimper from eBay.
-As of now I have a 91+pusher fan, but I might comb the junkyard for different set up
-Envirosafe refrigerant
-Wired with just an AC on/off switch (early for the 242, snowflake for 245) with relays for the compressor and pusher fan
-Binary high/low pressure switch in the drier

That about covers it. I'll be documenting my process once I have it worked out.

Sounds like a good build. I’ll have to ask my friend again because he had done some extensive research especially on the parallel flow condensers and I thought I recalled him saying something about how they were great for flow but the second you get a compressor grenade and shoot metal all thru the lines that thing is toast and you cannot flush it out. So if you were to replace the condenser you may as well do compressor and do a decent flush before putting it in so that you get all the hunk out. Apparently the lines are so small in those new parallel flow condensers that once they’re clogged up, game over.

-As of now I have a 91+pusher fan, but I might comb the junkyard for different set up

You're not going to find a better pusher fan. The oe fan works really well. They do wear out and stop working but you can just find another one in the junkyard if that happens.

I'm planning on a similar setup in an 1980
I have the 1993 HVAC u nit going inside the car, and using the 1993 style drier/accum.
a custom parallel flow condenser
universal Sanden, with custom hoses , all routed underneath, eleiminating the cross engine hose
this thread has good info, thanks

Back