• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MountainMeet 2022-September 21-25

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
MountainMeet is September 21-25 this year.

LiFwPu2h.jpg

giphy.gif

3blZs67h.jpg

YeIuM7mh.jpg

WCxFtLvh.jpg

OtknInyh.jpg

hJdb3Noh.jpg

Come enjoy such enriching activities as
  • Naps!
  • Sunrises!
  • Megasquirt Tastings!
  • Sitting in circles!
  • Steamed Hammers!
  • Copius grilled and smoked meats!
  • Getting drunk in the woods with your internet friends!
  • Benchracing!
  • And so much more!

I've never been to MountainMeet before. What does it cost?

Not a lot. Those who want beds have already paid for them, and that's what enables us to reserve the lodge itself. I do ask that you chip in for food as everything we eat gets cooked on site. That cost will unfortunately have to go up a little this year, probably to around $30/day you plan to be here, not counting Sunday.

Where is it?

So glad you asked. Balsam Lake Lodge, NC. It's about as remote as you can get without hiking the AT. It's a 16-bed lodge with a nice big yard for tent/hammock camping, and plenty of parking.

Where am I staying?

All the beds are already spoken for, however, there is more than enough room to shove things around inside for air mattresses, or you're welcome to pitch a tent (the kind you sleep in) or put up a hammock in the yard. There are also two large, comfy couches inside that can be claimed, but sleep there at your own risk.

What's the plan?

Whatever you want. Generally there's some combination of hiking/fishing/driving/off road driving/etc. There's not a super rigid schedule, and there never will be. If you want to just use the Lodge as a base camp for your own weekend in the mountains, that's totally cool too.

Wednesday-Friday

Earliest you can show up to the lodge is 3pm on Wednesday, 9/21. Wednesday afternoon is generally set up and chill. The bulk of people start trickling in on Thursday afternoon, and we're generally up and rolling with the majority of attendees by midday Friday.

Saturday

Saturday is usually a spirited drive (I'll try and avoid Batman this year) and then the main attraction Saturday evening is dinner. BBQ, chicken, all the sides you can think of, Mr. Bill's mac and cheese...it's the stuff of dreams.

Sunday

Wake up, clean up, check out.

Lodge Rules:

NEW RULE: If you don't pitch in for food, you don't eat. I'm serious. If you want to come but money's super tight, hit me up in advance and we can work something out :oogle:

I don't make money on this event, that's not my goal. I also don't want to come out of pocket for expenses either.

Technically, alcohol is not allowed at this place. There will be a trash can for your empty bottles and cans. Use it. Under no circumstances should you leave trash, particularly bottles and cans, laying around. We're in the middle of nowhere. There is a caretaker's house about 1/4 mile away, but as long as we don't get excessively rowdy, we'll be fine. There has been no historical issue with alcohol consumption. Let's not make this the first year.

I plan on leaving the lodge in the same condition it's in when we arrive. Your assistance in this mission is greatly appreciated.

You do not need to bring linens, however, you CAN bring your own, and it helps immensely with cleanup. Every sheet/towel/blanket that we use has to be washed, dried, folded, and put away. If you want to bring your own sheets/blankets/sleeping bags/whatever, that will save a TON of time and effort Sunday morning.

Also, there's no need to bring cooking utensils, pots and pans, stuff like that. It's all there.

The Fine Print

1: A note on attendance: If you plan on coming, have the courtesy to let me know in the thread. As a general rule, if we've met before and are cool, come on out. If we haven't met, just shoot me a PM and let me know you'd like to come. I try to open my events to everyone, but see #4 if there are any questions.

2:Do not arrive before say 3pm on Wednesday the 21st (well, no one at my house. you can come up the hill whenever I reckon). I will gladly host a couple people at my house Tuesday nights. Pre-arrival coordination with me is required. First night at the lodge is Wednesday night. Do not arrive at the lodge before 3pm.

3: Bring enough 'stuff' (clothes, swimsuit, towel, bath accouterments) for the weekend and some emergencies. The lodge has running water and hot showers. Use them. Don't stink. Seriously, why do I have to say this every year? Take a damn shower ya nasty hobos.

4:I reserve the right to throw your ass out, don't try me. I also know (on a first name basis) the people to call if you push the issue. Please don't. Quickest way to get tossed: Piss off a bear or mess up the lodge. If you do anything dumb or anything that would jeopardize my ability to use NFS facilities in the future, there will be issues. This is a small community. Word gets around. We have (rather miraculously, I might add) had use of the lodge for five years running without incident. Let's keep that record going.

5: Bring more money than you "think" you'll need. Incidentals are a bitch and you're IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. The cost of the weekend really isn't that high, but double what you anticipate you'll need and you should be alright.

6: Do not bring marginal vehicles. If you're not confident in your car's ability to safely make the trip out and back, leave it at home and buy/beg/borrow/whatever some other means of transportation. You do not want to get out here and have something big fail, and I don't want to have you get out here and have something big fail. This is coming from someone who broke a T5 at the first MountainMeet.

6a: Rule 6 does not apply to anyone coming from the Gump or Nick. Poking fun at y'all has provided a lot of enjoyment over the years. Let's not upset tradition.

7: If you're unsure about something, bring a spare. If you're planning on driving your car on Sunday and you've got an M46, bring a spare or tow your car. Insert other parts where needed. Bring sufficient equipment to repair whatever you think you'll need to repair. Refer to the marginal vehicle paragraph above. Yes, I'm local, but in this case, local means that we will be anywhere between 1 and 3 hours away from my driveway and garage. Don't plan on using them, but they may be available in a pinch.

8: Not 21? Don't drink. Yeah, I know, laaaame. But in the unlikely event we do attract unwanted attention, I don't want to have to deal with some drunk 18 year old landing me in jail.

9: If you're gonna smoke the devil's lettuce, at least do it around back or something. I have no issues with it, but it is federal property, and I really don't want to get booted for future years. The caretakers can (and have) shown up randomly to check in on us.

Last edited:
Who's coming?

$ means you paid for a bed.
# means you paid for food.

In, with a bed in the lodge
  1. Me $#
  2. Bayleigh $#
  3. Derrick/940Guy$#
  4. Morgan $#
  5. AndrewNance $#
  6. Eamonn/Hockey930 $#
  7. Kenny/Linuxman41 $#
  8. Ian/MrBill $#
  9. Jimbo/VWbusman66 $#
  10. Mark/Tequilagundam $#
  11. Gordon $#
  12. Nate $#
  13. HondaMatt $#
  14. Dana/Boostdemon $#
  15. Connie$#
  16. MikeSr $#

In, Camping/Crashing
  1. Nick/Fast740fromSC #
  2. Kyle/Stick70 #
  3. Chelsie #
  4. MikeP #
  5. JohnMC #
  6. Dean/MKUltra#
  7. Monique#
  8. Josh/JPBTurbo#
  9. MikeJr #
  10. Hilldale
  11. Scotty/Douchenozzle#
  12. KEEEEENT#
  13. Luckadoo
  14. Carson#
  15. MR2 Dan
  16. Luke
  17. leecatd8209#
  18. Other Jared#
  19. Jade#
  20. Marshall#
  21. Erica#
  22. Jimmy#
  23. Tom
  24. Manbeard#
  25. DJ
  26. Billy #
  27. Zeke
  28. Conor
  29. Zach#
  30. $500Matt#
  31. Eturbo Eric
  32. Bragg
  33. SvedSled

Maybes
  1. Sam/RoadRacer4Life
  2. Sarah
  3. Cwazywazy
  4. Gary/gstellar
  5. 240Keith
  6. ATLMatt
  7. BJ
  8. Marshall
  9. Bren
  10. Matt Wood
  11. Maurice
  12. Amargill19?
  13. RallyDave
  14. Isaac

Last edited:
FWIW, I never actually voted. Sorry boys, gotta stay home with new bb this year. Maybe next.

I promise i won’t forget to give you all that scrapple this year my cooler was rank when i got home.
Car camping again, hopefully in the 245.
*edit: i wish i had thought of getting kenny to lick my ms board for good luck.

Last edited:
Dates saved! I will be bringing the Fianc? and one of my buddies with me. I am planning on bringing the 740 on a rollback tow truck, but plenty of time for things to change before then. Either way the 740 will be coming, unless she is broken when the time comes.
Can?t wait to see everyone again.

Attachments

• C8ACBF2B-8BFF-4463-88ED-58FEC19AC854.jpg
    C8ACBF2B-8BFF-4463-88ED-58FEC19AC854.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 344
Reservation went through this morning, we’re locked in for 9/21-25

yisssssss

Got the old 242 out cruising again yesterday, me and my boy DnAsEqUeNcE got some interesting plans in the works hopefully to be completed prior to MM.

Count me and the wife in!

I'm in. Let me know when you want money for the food.

One of these years I?ll clear a bed for you.

Food, like everything else, has gone up the past year. Probably gonna ask $30/day for that this year.

Gonna hold off until August or so before we start collecting for that in case things drop (ha!)

Back