• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is anybody doing turbo diesels?

I remember when I first joined turbobricks. But what I did was read all the threads, every single one. I didn't start asking dumb questions and then act like I was gods gift to gab writing even though I can type 120 words a minute. Anyway volvo never made a 240 turbo diesel from the factory. So your first post in this thread about you bought a new one in 81 just verifies you are full of it................

I could type a lot more, but post a video or time slip of how quick fast your turbo volvo is to make me believe. I wanna believe.. Until then here is my 15g junkyard volvo doing 12.8... Back in 2010 before I exploded the flywheel trying to go faster and faster and quicker, not tying to convince everybody on the internut of anything.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FOjKoA1XnAY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bawZahBJvnk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haters gonna hate. Why can't I hate back? I hate non buttlevers.

Those vids were awesome Babbs :clap:

Can we take an honest poll on reading just this thread that i have called someone a name or condescended in any way? Where is the pissing match that I instituted here?

Well, only since you asked...

Good grief, seriously? You don't see any culpability? OK, let's watch one scenario unfold:

he actually converted a b230f to run on diesel and posted it here years back and was basically run off the forum.
And what did the AMERICAN turbobricks way do to run a swede tuner off a volvo forum.

Up until here, you posed a very valid question. I wondered about it, myself.

There are many possible answers -- it could become rather enlightening to see them, process them, and perhaps even assess biases either known or hidden.

HOWEVER... after posing that question, you couldn't resist adding attitude, attitude, and more attitude:

Was it because they couldn't accept his facts that differ from the said experts on this board that have continually said things made by volvo engineers sucks?

Thats no surprise to me that he'd be run off instead of being included and protected from trolls being the foreign guest here. I find it an awful way to treat a Swedish visitor while being the said experts of post facto design of Swedish sht...:roll:

You really didn't need to add all that that. Your question would have been significantly more powerful if you had let it speak for itself.

-=-=-

I offer the above partly because it hits home. One of the lessons I've had to learn (and sometimes still am) is that presentation (attitude) can get in the way of discussion (content). Put another way, people may not remember your words but they sure as heck understand a tone of voice. When a person gets animated, it can be difficult for bystanders to tell the difference between excitement and anger and lots of other things. Ever hear someone pounding the table and yelling about something? As justified as he/she may be in their outrage, does it make you want to go over and introduce yourself, make a new friend? For most people, it makes them want to get away from the perceived nutcase.

This is what I see in your posts, again and again. The attitude takes the spotlight. It's honestly difficult to stay tuned long enough to figure out if there are gems hiding in the shadows.

It's kind of sad, really. I shall choose to thank you for the wake up call.

No , D5 (four valve) is white block based engine, this is designed by Volvo.

And then there is TDI (two valve) engine, used in 850. Designed by Audi.

Here's a good one to watch to chill out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnZUSvpF61k

Kind of a hard start with everything covered in snow.

Thanks for this Im continuing to follow the links.

For your pleasure

qcbhiar.jpg

This is me and my nephew with the 77 242 in the late 70

DmIHtab.jpg

And here is my nephew a few years later with the Diesel in 81.

The one owner 77 is with me at my house. The diesel was traded for our first 740 which wasn't much difference than my son has now. I've owned 3 740's so far. The last one I had was black with red leather seats I sold it to Steven Grantham in Raleigh NC working at chilis in briar creek. I totaled my 98 v70 so what I hold now is the 07 AWD s80 v8 a 99 t6 the 242 the 740 and 83 245tic. I dont need to lie about what we or I have owned. Its just that simple. You can see how well prepared id be to look at internals then....the photos were taken with a polaroid ....​

SMH....
Hubert

he had another username that was created further back. some folks change names, lose accounts (or have multiple accounts for... I dunno why, won't even speculate), etc. Also, there have been a couple "great board resets" over the years for one reason or another, and some folks' join dates got mixed up.

listen the man's not wrong.. we need a bit of a re-focus here, folks aren't doing anything really fun these days it seems, maybe a handful of people are pushing any kind of boundaries, we need to mix it back up a bit. What's it gonna take? do we need a buy-in for the EvW, and then have a payout for fastest ET's in each category (nothing significant, but I suppose much like real events that depends on attendance), maybe something else fun to go with it, whatever... but this sitting around doing nothing is getting old. I realize I'm guilty of it myself, but still.. lets move forward. When's the last time anyone hit the track or did anything cool on the rollers? (don't bring mine up, that was almost a year ago, doesn't count anymore). I get it, everyone's bored, here's a button to push for some momentary entertainment, but be honest with yourselves... y'all ain't doing anything all that interesting right now. I know I'm mired down in work, all of my toys are sitting collecting dust or worse currently, so I'm calling myself out at the same time. Come on. We can do better and still have fun at the same time.

Speak for yourself, I'm signed up for 2 autocross clubs. I also have recently acquired all the pieces for a TR3650 swap using the BNE adaptor plate, I don't think this has been done in a 240 <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xNSLWGTKFF0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Speak for yourself, I'm signed up for 2 autocross clubs. I also have recently acquired all the pieces for a TR3650 swap using the BNE adaptor plate, I don't think this has been done in a 240 <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xNSLWGTKFF0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

you've done nothing to change my opinion thus far. auto-x is cool, don't take that the wrong way, but in terms of advancing the forum, a moderately different transmission swap from the normal t5 is not all that earth shattering.

that being said, I am curious how that works out for you, because I have a mostly hate relationship with the t5 in my 242 (and the clutch setup as well)

There is a 760 wagon with a D24T that was passed around few friends of mine while I was in FL. I do not know what happened to it but I remember we repaired the harness and installed in the car. if I did not live in an apartment I would try to bring it here to keep it going. It was a good car, falling apart interior be damned. It also was used to start Delta jets before, but that is off-topic.

My first diesel was a W115 1975 Mercedes, in which we installed the drivetrain off a 83 300SD. I missed that car but it had to sit too long because of life and rusted away. Was planning on adding an intercooler.

Back to the Volvo, if you have a N/A get the turbo fuel pump as it has the boost compensator (Mercedes called it the ALDA). Those pumps are just, as others said, very similar to the Bosch VE 4 cylinders, so parts are interchangeable. There is lots of info out there on those pumps. They are not hard to rebuild but calibration, specially timing, is important. You can take it to a diesel engine shop of build a jig to do that; it is just a bit more pressure than, say, CIS injection. The VE fuel pump was used in many engines for many makes. You can tune it to deliver more fuel.

Do get an exhaust gas temp sensor. If you have the cash, one per cylinder so you can tune the fuel for each cylinder.

Oh, the engine may have oil squirters. But then again that may be the diff between Mercedes N/A and turbo diesels. I do have docs on the torque settings and some rebuild info I can send you.

g7JjCyC.jpg

ugnhLty.jpg

miaLoGA.jpg

And here is my nephew's car in 2021. A Supercharged A7. "Wes" has come along ways since 1981.... when he was around 2 years old. I hope you like it... He pulled up while I was cutting my parents grass so I figured what a better time to mislead the forum more....since I posted that we owned one of these already as well.

:)

I dont have a diesel motor im my possession Dalek Im just wondering as a swap whats to be had there. It sounds like maybe one could be tuned for good performance and alternative fuel which seems pretty cool to me. I doubt they are highly sought after so maybe I can get one cheap at a JY? Where is orange alert brotha?

Regards
Hubert​

Last edited:
Do get an exhaust gas temp sensor. If you have the cash, one per cylinder so you can tune the fuel for each cylinder.
Just curious: What does that get you, being that the Bosch VE IP is a (single plunger) radial IP, not a several pistoned IP? So unequal fuel quantities should not be a problem as long as the injectors are working within spec.

It sounds like maybe one could be tuned for good performance and alternative fuel which seems pretty cool to me. I doubt they are highly sought after so maybe I can get one cheap at a JY?
That is what attracted me to it in the early 2000's. Early years of the Iraq invasion, fuel prices had risen dramatically, I was driving a lot of long distances and so I was able to save quit a bit by running used teriyaki fryer oil, also felt I was doing my part to get us away from foreign oil (problem at that time) and doing my part for the environment.

They (D24T)(would not consider D24) were/are not so common, and I have not seen one in ages at a JY, cheap or not.

Just curious: What does that get you, being that the Bosch VE IP is a (single plunger) radial IP, not a several pistoned IP? So unequal fuel quantities should not be a problem as long as the injectors are working within spec.

dont know if its a big issue with these but precombustion chambers can have issues such as cracks and such and individual egts may be able to point you in the right direction. but yea a single egt is probably fine in all reality.

Well, up to a limit unequal quantities are not a problem in indirect injection, but you do not have the latitude you have with gasoline (hello carburators). Also, I wanted to play with DI. In fact, I had procured a 5 cylinder TDI pump and the injectors off a Diesel Land Rover and had a friend, who had made (as in cast and then machined) his own cylinder heads before willing to help make a DOHC for it. Last thing we were working on was building CFD models for the piston cavity, and then life happened and Mercedes got crushed and rednecks stolen my superchargers, turbos, and pumps among other things. I even had a proper high pressure common rail fuel pump for the next phase. But that was then and we are in the now.

Bottom line, for my interests, EGT mattered.

That is what attracted me to it in the early 2000's. Early years of the Iraq invasion, fuel prices had risen dramatically, I was driving a lot of long distances and so I was able to save quit a bit by running used teriyaki fryer oil, also felt I was doing my part to get us away from foreign oil (problem at that time) and doing my part for the environment.

They (D24T)(would not consider D24) were/are not so common, and I have not seen one in ages at a JY, cheap or not.

thumbup.gif

Regards,
Hubert

Back in the 80's when there was a bit of a fuel price spike, we used to run my Dad's diesel Land Rover on used fryer oil. All he did was to filter it fairly well and just pour it straight into the tank. The engine started and ran normally, seemed to have all the power it ever had (2.25L worth of normally aspirated diesel, not much). Maybe, possibly, a faint bit more power if anything? It clattered a bit less, and the exhaust smell was more pleasant. And yes, you could tell what had been cooked in the oil. Chicken vs. french fries vs. fish.

Of course, with no fuel tank/line warming system, we only did that in the summer months. One year we had an early cold snap that caught us with fry oil in the Landy, oops. It was down until the next spring, we didn't have a heated shop to warm it up in and clear the congealed oil.

And yes, you could tell what had been cooked in the oil. Chicken vs. french fries vs. fish.
LOL. One of my oil sources was a fried fish restaurant. When I filled the tank with that oil, the neighborhood cats would congregate around the car whenever I started it up. :lol:

Back