• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

oil cooler routing on a 240 +T

autoloclys

Im working on a slow moving +T project on my daily driver '92 240 wagon. I borrowed a set of quickjacks and want to hit as much of the under the car stuff while i have them. Already done the oil pan and motormounts.

Does anyone have any good pics or diagrams of how to route the hoses for an oil cooler? I am using volvo parts (sandwich plate) that will put the cooler in the place where the airbox is currently (stock location for a kjet turbo 240)

Since i haven't relocated the air intake yet, I was hoping to to a temporary mount behind the bumper, but want to be as close as possible to "correct" with the hoses on the first try.

Are you piecing together oil cooler components or did you pull an entire system from a 240T car or 740T car?

You certainly could do a temporary mounting behind the bumper, but that will be complicated if you are using the stock hardlines/flex hoses. The most flexible way to mount it is to ditch the stock hoses an use some AN fittings or cut the crimps off the stock fittings and use some good oil hose and double clamps. Then you can put the cooler wherever you want.

very helpful!

Im assuming the support plate for the hard lines goes under the alternator bracket? thats the last bit i cant find great info on.

http://www.240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html#oilcooler

I'm open to adding more to this if anyone has any.
Dave B.

http://www.240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html#oilcooler

I'm open to adding more to this if anyone has any.
Dave B.

Sure you can use this one. For less then a hundred dollars shipped to your door you can get one off ebay with a thermostat adapter plate, lines and cooler.

I'll start with the most important ...The adapter plate. This is a smaller then usual adapter plate its nice because it will clear the hard lines , you will not be able to use the stock filter any longer but thats ok you can use one from a 6.0 chevy and its actually a bit longer and skinnier so it fits perfect. The filter I used has a back flow prevention aka check valve and also has a bypass valve. I recommend Motocraft filters but I installed a fram at the time because it was the only brand they had in stock.

39760779_10216680507421111_4587419749557731328_n.jpg

As you can see in the above photo, the adapter plate just clears the hard line.

39930121_10216680506981100_8614775458774384640_n.jpg

The photo above is a top view of the hard line, I did have to remove my line clamp from the turbo and pull the line towards the front of the car slightly to allow it to fit between the alternator and the adapter plate but 1/4 inch or so and you are in there like swim wear.

The hoses..I was not so hot on the nylon braided hoses but they are actually pretty nice. I was planning on making my own, but used these because they were not soft or as cheap as I imagined they would be for the price.

The cooler I just mounted in front of the radiator it did not come with mounting brackets so I had to make them but that was pretty simple , just bend the metal where you need it and drill holes.

39739903_10216680505861072_8836726273276379136_n.jpg

I would not have thought you could reach all the way to the front of the radiator with 1.4 and 1.6 meter long hoses. That's a pretty decent price for a complete kit.
Dave B.

I would not have thought you could reach all the way to the front of the radiator with 1.4 and 1.6 meter long hoses. That's a pretty decent price for a complete kit.
Dave B.

Oh plenty of line I could have shortened it a bit but like I said I was planning on making my own stainless steel braided lines so just used these for the time being. When I make new lines though they won't be much different.

In the kit they also have a line clamp , I think 2-3 of these would be ideal.
39726257_10216681383003000_7566365996131287040_n.jpg

39891664_10216681392163229_7896442625194983424_n.jpg

I could also have used another line clamp here, but I plan on securing my lines to the frame rail when I make new ones.

One other note is that the bottom bracket for the cooler is a tad bit trickier, just slightly instead of just a c shape you need to allow a tab to hang off so that it can be mounted...I can try and take better photos if you want.

39714709_10216681390483187_2720682265267929088_n.jpg

Feel free to use my photos, info or anything else you would like. I frequently go to your site for this kind of thing.

BTW this set up will only work on 240's 700/900's have motor mount clearance issues.

Oh and the oil filter it will take is a Mann-ML-1005 or Motorcraft FL400 ...I have a Fram ph3600 on it now but there are many other filters that you can use. Fram suck don't use fram I had access to a huge line of fram so was able to experiment with frams for fitment reasons so used what I had. I was able to use their vehicle fitment info and competitor comparison chart to find many other filters so go there and find the filter manufacturer of your choice.

http://www.fram.com/parts-search/PH3600/?ref=NoIgDghgTgLgdgVwLYCMCmUQBoQAUASAzAGwAMp2iANlVtbfXQjUy-QLpA

Im working on a slow moving +T project on my daily driver '92 240 wagon. I borrowed a set of quickjacks and want to hit as much of the under the car stuff while i have them. Already done the oil pan and motormounts.

Does anyone have any good pics or diagrams of how to route the hoses for an oil cooler? I am using volvo parts (sandwich plate) that will put the cooler in the place where the airbox is currently (stock location for a kjet turbo 240)

Since i haven't relocated the air intake yet, I was hoping to to a temporary mount behind the bumper, but want to be as close as possible to "correct" with the hoses on the first try.

Buy my D-jet airbox?

140D-jetAirBox1.jpg

If you haven't relocated the airbox yet... how is this a +T project? The airbox more or less has to be located on the passenger side of the car for the +T. I used a Saab 900 airbox and filter, along with a few little creative patches.

I used the Volvo 240 OEM oil cooler kit when I dropped a 940 turbo engine into my 245. Radiator and intercooler is some odd combination from 7 series cars I think? and the stock oil cooler setup doesn't play perfectly well with the brackets and mounts on those, but there is space to angle it in. The factory location is angled similarly in that location by design, and catches the air behind the condenser but in front of the radiator. Don't mind the zip ties - this is TB, after all. Like I said, you can see where the bottom and top brackets don't fit due to clearance issues with the 740 intercooler. It WILL fit there, however, and you can devise some other way to hold it in place. Ideally you'd fill the also gap between the oil cooler and chassis to ensure proper flow. One day when I'm not busy, perhaps I'll do just that.

Here's a few hastily snapped poor quality pictures... Along with the photo above from TurboDenny, you should get a pretty good idea how how it can work.

AUR0RnTl.jpg

XjtagCWl.jpg

Dp3736rl.jpg

B15lJ3Vl.jpg

h2BqFNWl.jpg

@DadSleeper awesome information man thank you. I have been in need of an oil cooler setup for a few years now but still haven’t done it. I had a factory 240T setup but couldn’t run it in the stock location because I had interference issues with my current intercooler setup.

So just to clarify, that cooler setup you linked is essentially a direct bolt on, correct? I was always worried about having a long enough stud to mount the sandwich plate on to. That and i was worried about it being the correct diameter to the block mating surface.

@DadSleeper awesome information man thank you. I have been in need of an oil cooler setup for a few years now but still haven’t done it. I had a factory 240T setup but couldn’t run it in the stock location because I had interference issues with my current intercooler setup.

So just to clarify, that cooler setup you linked is essentially a direct bolt on, correct? I was always worried about having a long enough stud to mount the sandwich plate on to. That and i was worried about it being the correct diameter to the block mating surface.

As long as you have the n/a stud then its bolt on. I used a turbo engine and it had a banjo bolt so had to extract the stud from an n/a car threads are the same though. lines are all an10 and there is no need to alter them like I stated above plenty long I even looped it around once in a very large loop.

The mounting , well thats not bolt on I went and bought a piece of steel (sheet metal) cut, bent, and drilled it and also had to paint after but it got the job done nice and didn't take to long but I am handy with metal and anyone who is will find its really easy.

On the block mating surface the surface are is so large on the 240 I think the wall in like an inch thick , I don't have all the measurements in front of me but I checked all that before hand and it fits great and no leaks.

39869296_10216682587073101_8451679392878297088_n.jpg

I used the radiator and intercooler from a 92 740 so I had some clearance issue too ...I also had to do some handy metal work for that the larger 92 radiator and intercooler don't fit like that naturally. Then of coarse the 2 speed fan and relays.

slow moving as in, this weekends goals were change the oil pan to one with a welded drain fitting and add the oil cooler, then get it back on the road to drive to work. The next push, when i have another free weekend, is the rest of it.

Thanks for the pics, they will help a lot in putting the cooler and lines in. Going to try and use the 240T stuff i have for now

1 As long as you have the n/a stud then its bolt on.

2 The mounting , well thats not bolt on I went and bought a piece of steel (sheet metal) cut, bent, and drilled it and also had to paint after but it got the job done nice and didn't take to long but I am handy with metal and anyone who is will find its really easy.

3 On the block mating surface the surface are is so large on the 240 I think the wall in like an inch thick , I don't have all the measurements in front of me but I checked all that before hand and it fits great and no leaks.

1 my car is an NA-T conversion so it has the NA stud for the oil filter. This is good news. I would has assumed the turbo stud was needed for the extra length for the sandwich plate to be bolted to.

2 yeah I’m not worried about mounting the heat exchanger. Plenty of options there for location. Likely will be put low near the valence/air dam.

3 awesome! I didn’t know if since it was a Volvo, it would use some weird size sandwich plate making it difficult to find aftermarket coolers. IIRC some of the mustang sandwich plates fit? Anyway that is great news and I appreciate it. I will be ordering on sooner or later.

Lastly, I read their website and if I read correctly, it seems the sandwich plate has a built in thermostat for 176F. Is this hot enough to boil out moisture in the oil?

Water cooling your oil is certainly better than nothing, but it isn't going be able to remove heat on par with a larger surface area air cooled setup. Your average oil cooler seems to yield a 15-20 degrees F drop in oil temps.

Running the water cooled setup does have some advantages (warms up the coolant quicker), but... ultimately it also imposes a heavier load on the cooling system of the car.

With respect to the OEM thermostat on the oil cooler setup... that's just the temperature it OPENS at. You're not going to keep oil temps at 176F - they'll be higher during steady state running conditions.

Generic run down on air vs water can be found here... Obviously, mounting the cooler in a place that maximizes airflow while not dumping its thermal load into the radiator/intercooler is the best solution.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/single-post/2016/07/10/Oil-Cooling-A-Deeper-Look

Last edited:
Back