• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil pressure how low is too low?

Thanks for all the info fellas.. After more research I think I'm still in good shape.. This engine has never been out of the car so I was a bit worried but considering I run both the 740/940 oil/water cooler plus a large external oil cooler plus an external oil filter and I'm using the oil pressure switch to feed both the oil pressure gauge plus switch plus the turbo oil feed that my 25 year old VDO electric oil pressure gauge might be reading just a tad low.. Car still runs great.. I'll upload some video from this weekends PCA track day shortly.

-Sam

171734603.jpg

Last edited:
I did finally replace my old sender when it started getting twitchy, definitely picked up some oil pressure, or at least reported pressure once things got hot. The old sender didn't take to heat very well, so there was a broader spread in pressure between hot and cold, also a lack of pressure build with RPM when it got hot.

I used to get 1 bar with warm idle and close to half a bar with very hot idle (after beating on the car)

Since adding the air/oil cooler setup, I now see half a bar at warm/hot idle. I think oil pressure when driving also went down a bit, it's something like 2-2.5bar at 2000rpm.

I'm considering getting rid of the oil gauge, it's too stressful to look at in traffic.

171736808.cojk5JqI.jpg

171736809.jpg

171736813.jpg

171736816.jpg

171736817.jpg

171736819.jpg

171736844.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x43C5Os2c6s?start=88" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some nice pics and vids from this weekend.

Sweet pictures, looks like fun!
Is the block a turbo block from the factory? I seem to remember all turbo engines got a higher capacity oil pump. Higher then the oil pumps in the NA-blocks.
You can put a turbo oil pump in a NA block.

Sweet pictures, looks like fun!
Is the block a turbo block from the factory? I seem to remember all turbo engines got a higher capacity oil pump. Higher then the oil pumps in the NA-blocks.
You can put a turbo oil pump in a NA block.

Nope its the original 91 b230f.. Never had the head off..

Back