• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What My B23FT and T-5Z cost to install

Turborg

When I first decided to install a B23FT and T-5Z trans in my car, I said that when I was finished I would report the costs. I know that costs vary across Brickdom but I think the costs listed are close enough to give someone an idea what a project like this is going to run. I did all of the work myself except for the machine work. I figure that I have at least 30-40 hrs invested in this project. Related pics and explanations can be found at http://www.pbase.com/turborg.

1. B23ft builder-salvage yard $350
2. T-5z Ford Motorsport trans-used 450
3. 1 pc driveshaft, new u-joints 120
4. Dual spring P/P, Clutch-Clutchnet 375
5. Adapter-Vintage performance 275
6. Machine shop-sleeve eng-bal-misc 600
7. New Pistons-gaskets-bearings 250
8. Belts,hoses,mounts 75
9. Cap,rotor,plugs,wires 65
total $2570

And yes, I am very pleased and feel that the price is totally worth it. Mechanically, this car is much better than new. With the cars that were around in the early eighties, if these cars had come from the factory like this, they would have been performance legends.

Last edited:
Turborg said:
4. Dual spring P/P, Clutch-Clutchnet 375
What sorta clutch did you opt for? The one I need for my Getrag swap is like $195, so does that mean that your dual spring pressure plate (I'm assuming all brand new?) was only about $180? Da's not bad at all. Did you do anything for the flywheel or just leave the Volvo one in there? If so, do you have the heavier 9" 740 one or the lighter 8.5" 240 one? (I think I got those right)

Nice combo, I'm glad you reported your pricing. It helps guys like me put things into perspective. I always track the price of everything I buy for my car, well except for oil and little stuff. It's just nice to know what you've put into it, and to keep a running list of everything you've done.

Thanks,

John

Clutch info

The Aspirator said:
What sorta clutch did you opt for? The one I need for my Getrag swap is like $195, so does that mean that your dual spring pressure plate (I'm assuming all brand new?) was only about $180? Da's not bad at all. Did you do anything for the flywheel or just leave the Volvo one in there? If so, do you have the heavier 9" 740 one or the lighter 8.5" 240 one? (I think I got those right)

Nice combo, I'm glad you reported your pricing. It helps guys like me put things into perspective. I always track the price of everything I buy for my car, well except for oil and little stuff. It's just nice to know what you've put into it, and to keep a running list of everything you've done.

Thanks,

John
The clutch plate is a Fiber Carbon with the spring hub. It cost $140 and the dual spring p/p was $235. The flywheel is the 8.5" flat non-intercooled unit off my B21FT. It is lighter than the stepped flywheel of the intercooled cars, and with the clamping force of the dual spring p/p, the clutch package works great. I have the t-5z, which with its higher gears puts lots of strain on the clutch. The single spring plate would not hold when first installed. Clutchnet was righteous enough to replace the single with the dual spring p/p. The price for the p/p may be different because the price I originally paid was for a single spring p/p. Hope this info helps. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back