• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Got my T5 in!

James Dillon said:
This tall gear discussion is priceless, thanks Doug. 2800 rpms @ 80 mph is perfect. I am curious what difference the rear end makes. I currently have an 83 242Ti with the AW71 and often wondered if the T5 gearing would require the M46 rear end. It would be interesting to hear about the two tranny-rear end combinations and driveability.

No, stay with the 3.91's. Either model T5's 5th gear will let you run the steeper gearing with out hassle on the freeway.

I'd be almost tempted to run 4.10's or something slightly steeper

Snoop Dougy Doug said:
John.

I like you.

but do a search ;)
:rofl:
Thanks man, I just wasn't dying to know the answer, and I was lazy. Hummm, how many times has Towery told you to search?? Hehehe, just kidding.

Damnit, now that I actually took the time to think about it, it's only the clutch that cares about how many splines there are. Ugh, I had a brain fart when I first posted and quickly thought that the whole input shaft goes into the crank. And I've done 3 manual tranny swaps!! Okay okay, I get it now, feelin kinda stupid too! I'm sure it uses the same pilot bearing as the volvo ones do eh?

Actually with all this talk I'm starting to think about doing the T5 also.... I just know that my M46 will self destruct sooner or later, once I actually get the boost past 8psi. When that time comes, you know I'll do lots of searching.

John

I just purchased a new main cluster and 3rd speed gear for my T5 and they are ttc Tremec parts, does this mean that my tranny will be rated at 330ft.lbs now?

I don't think I would mind the tall 5th gear that much.

With my aw70 and the .69 overdrive I was already at about 5200rpm and I was only doing a little over 120.

If you have the tourque to push it then it should be fine.
And it's nice on your gas milage to be able to keep your rev's down.

Peace,
Josh

milkrocks said:
You probably did in fact buy a Tremec. They make arguably the best T5 Upgrade out there. That should fit perfectly and be a ton stronger than almost any T5 out there. Plenty strong for almost any turbo red block out there!

Christian

Yea T=Tremec

thats something i noticed with my 740 (m46), it does 3000RPM at 80 while my dads 940 (B200F/M47) does just over 3000 at 70. oh and i hit 6000RPM in 4th at 120 before going into OD

RPM/MPH calculator

Here is a tool you can use to determine you speeds with different trans gear ratios, rear end ratios, engine rpms, etc. http://www.jadesupra.net/gears/
My t-5z has the 2.95 low gear and the .63 overdrive. My rearend ratio is 3.73. I was concerned about all three .before the conversion. I have ran it thru the gears pretty hard a couple times now that my engine has a few miles on it. I love the 2.95 low gear! I have my car set up where it will boost in low gear, and with the M-46 I had to be ready to shift immediately after entering boost. With the t-5z, it will run 36mph in low at 5500, vs 26 mph at 5500 for the M-46. Because the t-5z is close ratio with factory short throw, the shift from first to second is vastly improved with lots less RPM loss. With the heavier pressure plate and clutch from cluthnet, the car will launch very well. I don't think the stock pressure plate could handle the torque of the B23ft combined with the high ratio low gear. As far as the B23FT handling the gear, for the way I drive the car, I think it is excellent. As far as ther .63 overdrive is concerned, it also suits my needs. Alot of my driving is at highway speed and this gear should at least hold my gas milage close to what i was getting with my B21FT previously.

i'd like that longer gear, with my M46 i get pretty much 30mph for each gear (wish i had enough power to push OD to the max but i don't think it'd take it) i seem to be gear'd for 30/60/90/120/150 at redline. on the other hand my getrag (242) seems to have a longer 1st like the T5 and quite close then.

mitchell software is what i have used for gear ratios before - thats a US based compnay supplying software .I have just found a direct top close ratio detatchable bellhousing for ?300 - what you lot think - i could have my other getrag in and running for that amount

Hey you guys already with or planning a T-5 conversion, first of all, I think that the 330 lb-ft capacity will hold a seriously built redblock just fine. But if you need to rebuild it, or if you are just so worried about it, last night I found out about a T-5 upgrade that will still keep the benefits of the T-5 (light weight, nice shifting).

Please excuse me if you have heard of this outfit before, but I haven't heard anyone mention it yet:
http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

They are claiming capacity of around 600hp/500 lb-ft in a 3300 lb car with drag radials. I have read a few good accounts of it on the Mustang boards so far, it is still fairly new. That's more capacity than the old Tremec TKO, but less than the new TKO-600. But we have adapters for the T-5, not the Tremec, so this G force thing looks real nice.

The only thing is that it looks like the 5th gear would not be upgraded, and it's kind of fragile as it is. I've screwed mine up already, so that if I shift into 5th over 50 mph, it makes a little grind as it goes in. So I double clutch it now, and it's ok. If your 5th gear is still good, treat it nice!

Greg

Back