• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LM7/T56 into a '82 245

Im using generic power steering fluid from pep boys in my 2004 lm7 avalanche pump. No squeals other then leaky high pressure hose. I'll be switching to the volvo valve soon when I find the time.

You are going to ruin the seals in the rack if you use power steering fluid, and not using atf

Last edited:
I call bull. So you're telling me that power steering fluid made for power steering that has been in this car for 25 years is wrong? HA!
Volvos call for ATF, not power steering fluid. Power steering fluid will usually ruin both the power steering pump and the rack on a volvo. I've had to replace several for this one reason.

Updates, some good, some bad

Alrighty, been gone for a bit, but have also been busy.

With some help, The clutch was finally working. I got to drive the car for a little over a week, but almost 300 miles on it. It's super fun to drive, spins the tires easily, and makes people look at it funny. This weekend I took it to Car's and Coffee at Canepa in Scotts Valley.

script>

Being that I own the car and built it, I know all the little things that still really bother me about it, but I was pleasantly surprised by how many people stopped to look at it, and complimented me on it, that was super encouraging!

After taking the long way home, I was encouraged as it stayed cool even being driven hard on backroads up and over the small mountain between where I live in San Jose and where Canepa is. Parked it for the night expecting to take it out Sunday to go ride mountain bikes. It's a good thing plans changed and I didn't ride, as when I went into the car later in the day to get something out of it, I noticed fluid on the floor mat in the drivers footwell, Shined a flashlight up and I see the clutch master cylinder is blown and leaking fluid again. Starting to think that something to do with how the clutch pedal was modified to work with a hydraulic clutch, is causing it to not work how it should, and is helping cause the master to fail, as this is the 2nd one!

At this point, my wife hates the car, I'm super over it. Seems like I've had a years worth of bad luck strike on this thing (as well as some bad decisions). So if you want it, let me know you're interested, the heavy lifting of such a swap is done, it drives pretty good and stays cool. I'm frustrated as hell. If there isn't interest in it, or I can't get enough for it, I may drop it off at a shop and try and get a quote to get it fixed, but even if that happens, it likely won't be staying around long.

STS is working on (they might be done with it) a nice pedal for hydro clutch setups.

Yeah I've seen that. A post that I've seen recently shows that they'd finished the first prototype, which they still need to test, before they start building them to sell. Sounded like a few months out.

Bummed I missed this thing at Canepa. I hope you can figure the clutch out and keep the car for a bit. It sucks for something so minor to keep you from enjoying it. We've all been there!

For the hydro, check to see if the plunger arm is binding at all with the motion of the clutch pedal. I overlooked that in an old 300zx I had with a similar issue. Maybe consider adding a relief arm in there? like mounted one end to the plunger and the other on the clutch pedal. If you make one that's not too too long, and maybe adjust the mounting on the pedal closer to the driver (make an ear with a mounting tab that extends TOWARDS the driver), it could reduce any binding going on. Think of a set up kind of like the steam piston that drives the wheels of an old locomotive.

Or there might be too much pressure in the system, causing seals to fail.

Back