• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Clutch type LSD options for dana diff?

RoadRacer4Life

Owner: DeathWagon
300+ Club
I'm working on Randy Pobst's Flying Moose 740 endurance race car and we are having severe inside wheel spin with his car. Its especially noticeable on hard right hand turns. The car is currently equipped with a Wavetrac unit and to say the least we are disappointed in its performance. My searches online have not found anything helpful. Other than installing an 8.8 diff in this car does anyone have any suggestions that could help out.

Thanks guys

-Sam

Did you fix the rear suspension issues, like those horrible limiting chains and installing tender springs?

Wasn't the Wavetrac tunable? I keep seeing people bashing the TruTrac since it isn't, saying the Wavetrac is better because of that. Have you checked the breakaway torque on it to make sure it's not releasing earlier than it should? Probably a stupid question, but how about fluid? I know the TT's are spec'd to specifically NOT use synthetic, and I did notice a difference in lockup when I went to dino oil. For my use I run about 30% sync, the rest dino, and no modifier, seems to work really well in both cars and the D44/D60 TT's on the Dodge. The TT in the wagon doesn't really spin much on right turns before it lights up the left side and goes sideways.

The gripper is going to be the best bang for the buck on a full track car, Sellholm is an option for bigger bucks. Wavetracs can work on track conditions but they are a magnifying glass for setup issues. If you don't have your **** dialed in, it becomes painfully obvious. Clutch types are much less picky and just work.

Did you fix the rear suspension issues, like those horrible limiting chains and installing tender springs?

We tested the car at Road Atlanta and removed the limiting straps all together. Still significant inside side tire spin coming out of turn 7. This is supposed to be the higher preload wavetrac unit. Any ideas on things I could do to improve its performance. Has anyone else used that grabber unit?

-Sam

I know it's apples and kumquats but Doug had one of the Gripper's in his Yellow way back in the day, really did well in that car, managed to keep it hooked with 400something at the ground.

I've been waffling on buying a wavetrac, but not interested in a plate unit for a street car... interested to see how this shakes out.

I've been waffling on buying a wavetrac, but not interested in a plate unit for a street car... interested to see how this shakes out.

You will never run into these type of issues on a streetcar.
You need to be pushing the car really hard to see these issues.

We have a gripper on the race car, works fantastic on the track but its pretty loud and I wouldn't not want to DD it.

We tested the car at Road Atlanta and removed the limiting straps all together. Still significant inside side tire spin coming out of turn 7. This is supposed to be the higher preload wavetrac unit. Any ideas on things I could do to improve its performance. Has anyone else used that grabber unit?

-Sam

Getting real tender springs in there so there's no point in the suspensions travel range that the rear can just flop unloaded.

You need to always be pushing that tire against the track.

Lower the rear panhard bar. You can even angle it so that way it will work better on turn 7.

Coming a bit late to this thread, but that's our car in the linked thread above. Randy drove it at one point and we commiserated later about what a piece of junk the Wavetrac had turned out to be in our application. At the time he drove it we were still pretty early into experimenting, but nothing we tried pre-Gripper made a lick of difference.

As Ben notes, the race-spec Gripper makes some ugly noises occasionally, but it works like magic. We run Swepco 210 because things get a bit toasty back there and our previous fill was coming out like water after a weekend. Could probably have gone halfway with something like Redline 75-110, but not really keen on more experiments in that area right now. 8)

The wing ... we have less science about. It sure *feels* like it helps keep the rear planted in fast corners, but honestly even if it didn't we'd keep it for the giggle factor.

Last edited:
anyone running a gripper or other clutch diff on a limited use "multi purpose" car? Doesn't seem to be a ton of feedback out there on something that's not full out race-spec.

anyone running a gripper or other clutch diff on a limited use "multi purpose" car? Doesn't seem to be a ton of feedback out there on something that's not full out race-spec.

Are you worried about noise or performance?
In "low" preload clutch LSDs, there's no noise to be heard.
High preload race diffs will make some clunk/pops in tight slow turns as the plates "stick-slip-stick". You can usually add more "LSD additive" until this quiets down.

Back