• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

John Lane's Fire Breathing Monster info & pics

I have been looking into options, I had powerstroke , traded looked at a I UZ U NPR intercooler. Now somone was telling me that you are running a SAAB intercooler. I thought about stacking 4 of those together the 9000 ones, because I have not been able to find the Largest NPR intercooler yet. I Think I am going to take a trip up to Chalis ? up the road ext 17 . It is supose to be big truck wrecking yard. I figured I could tig weld somthing together. I am open for options.

Thanks
Chris

Yeah, I think Chehalis does have big truck wrecking yard. I know they have a couple of truck and heavy equipment parts places, there has to be a salvage yard someplace close.

I bet the GN is easier to plumb up to the NPR I/C than the Volvo motor - there's some funny angles on the endtank connections. Good luck, mo boost.

Wow! do you have anymore info on the quaife gears in the M46? I know the didn't work for you, but they would work well in the 300-350 hp range right? Where to get them? How much? Noticable change in driveability from standard M46? What about the overdrive? Thanks,

Jim

jamd said:
Wow! do you have anymore info on the quaife gears in the M46? I know the didn't work for you, but they would work well in the 300-350 hp range right? Where to get them? How much? Noticable change in driveability from standard M46? What about the overdrive? Thanks,

Jim

Yeah, follow those links that were given. The prices look pretty similar. I think John might have paid a little less but he bought them directly from Quaife through a deal we had going at the time and he bought two gearsets at once. 300-350hp might be about the upper limit for that gearset, but I dunno since we had more like twice that when we blew them up. They worked great with the normally aspirated V-6, though. As far as driveability it's a close ratio gearset so there's no more big gaps between gears. The gears are straight cut so they are pretty noisy, though. It can be kind of annoying on the street unless you have a really loud stereo. Once you're in 4th gear, though it quiets down because it's direct drive. The overdrive works as usual. John knows the details of the innards of the tranny (ie: which mainshaft to use, etc.) I think he's said something about a P-type O/D.

Something I should do is tear the broken gearbox apart and survey the damage. I think all that broke was 3rd gear. If the rest of the gearset is OK all you would need to do is get the appropriate replacement parts from Quaife. Maybe John could sell this gearbox used and get a few bucks for it. I reckon it's probably repairable. Worth looking into, it's just sitting here taking up floor space.

As far as the quick steering rack kits go, every single one of you guys should have one. What is the stock steering, something like 7.8 turns lock to lock? :roll: :barf: I think the quick rack kit in John's car is something like 2.25-2.5 turns lock to lock I don't remember exactly. The kit consists of a new rack and a new pinion and you have to assemble into your steering rack, it's not that hard. The kit only cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 or so, something like that. Well worth it.

-Dave Clark

I didn't reply to this thread for a long while, but I have some thoughts...first:
[quote:b2de80b13e]What is the stock steering, something like 7.8 turns lock to lock?[/quote:b2de80b13e]
This is a major PITA, I think the 940 is either 3.8 or 4.2, lock to lock, which is a ton. This ratio would be desireable on the freeway with a very low tight suspension to make response and stability killer. I will see when I get all the braces on whether the ratio is the problem or the excessive play in the whole suspension system.
Second:
[quote:b2de80b13e]As far as driveability it's a close ratio gearset so there's no more big gaps between gears.[/quote:b2de80b13e]
This is all well and good, and I have nothing against your project; I do admire it. My only question is that as V6 guys you ahve one of the easiest best trans swaps you can have on a volvo. You guys have the gertrag 265 which is close ratio five speed with 1:1 fifth! IT requires no adapting (came on the 264) and holds more power than the M46 even with the quafe gearset. With straight cut gears and a tailshaft bearing replacement it would hold a grip or torque. This all said, when you are producing the torque #'s that you are I doubt really any street trans is the answer anymore, especially for a rally app. Keep on boosting... :D

Second:
[quote:43b7917c8b]As far as driveability it's a close ratio gearset so there's no more big gaps between gears.[/quote:43b7917c8b]
This is all well and good, and I have nothing against your project; I do admire it. My only question is that as V6 guys you ahve one of the easiest best trans swaps you can have on a volvo. You guys have the gertrag 265 which is close ratio five speed with 1:1 fifth! IT requires no adapting (came on the 264) and holds more power than the M46 even with the quafe gearset. With straight cut gears and a tailshaft bearing replacement it would hold a grip or torque. This all said, when you are producing the torque #'s that you are I doubt really any street trans is the answer anymore, especially for a rally app. Keep on boosting... :D[/quote]

Which ones came with that? All the manual 260's I've ever seen (including the one I got my other transmission out of) have been m 46+od cars.

This is the first time ive heard this..

[quote:eb15b8cc59] All the manual 260's I've ever seen (including the one I got my other transmission out of) have been m 46+od cars. [/quote:eb15b8cc59]
Many not all. The early 264 before the wagon and all that from like 75-77' have the getrag, after 77 or so they used the M46. All 76 have the getrag in general. YOu are right though that most 260 cars you will see will be iron case M46. There is the occaisional one with the getrag in the junkyard though.
If I had V6 I would be willing to do a little hunting to save the trouble adapting the BW Type 10, or jeriko though. OH an save shelling out the $$$ on the t-10+adaptor, I would guess cost would be similar to the quafe gearset. John's app is diffferent; with a turbo and a rally car I very much doubt the 265 is going to suit his application, maybe with straight cut gears and a new tailshaft bearing it would see his kind of power.

tuff240 said:
Do they make the quick ratio rack for a manual (non-power) steering rack as well?

I'm sure there probably is. The 240's are have been rallied so extensively in Scandanavia that there are a number of outfits producing such parts for them.

As far as the Getrag 265 goes, as you've already aknowledged Jim, there is no way it would hold up to the torque of the SPE. And trying to put it together the cheapest way possible has never been the priority of this project. John's not afraid of throwing $100 bills at something to get it done right. I'm not talking about spending dough needlessly, mind you. The Jerico was bought used and it was actually an economical way to go. You'll never find a real racing dog shift gearbox for a Volvo for $2500! (Try closer to $4000+.)
For a street car with a bit less HP than the SPE that getrag box might be just the thing.

I updated the web album with a couple of new pictures illustrating what happens to Dana 30 axles subjected to ridiculous amounts of torque. You V8 guys might want to have a peek. :wink:

ViewImage.dll

Printroom.com won't be doing 3rd party image hosting for long so this pic will probably disappear soon. Here is the link again for the web album (so you don't have to go all the way back to the first page of this thread.)
http://printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=oppositelock&album_id=124351

-Dave Clark

[quote:b58d7220d7] I'm not talking about spending dough needlessly, mind you. The Jerico was bought used and it was actually an economical way to go. You'll never find a real racing dog shift gearbox for a Volvo for $2500![/quote:b58d7220d7]
I think that the people who have succeeded with insane volvo projects around and near me (you guys + MVP) have found that the solutions they provide and share with others do cost something. MVP charges you a little pretty penny for the M90, but you don't go to MVP to get a half assed (untested) inperfect swap or product either. So I am willing to run at a slower pace than many of you simply waiting to have the funds to do something right and not blow something up. I reasize that this is completely inconsistant with the philosophy of the SPE which is highly sucessful with a large "rice" spoiler on the back to boot :flamesuit on:. I think in the NA stages the 265 would have made a nice alternative to the M46 POS that's all. That said, you already had the M46 so even though it costs some $$$ for the quafe stuff you didn't have to go dumpster diving to find your ideal getrag 265 either. For all you V6 240 guys and possibly 7xx guys the getrag might make a nice alternative to the BW55 aw-71 and M46.

oppositelock said:
I think the quick rack kit in John's car is something like 2.25-2.5 turns lock to lock I don't remember exactly. The kit consists of a new rack and a new pinion and you have to assemble into your steering rack, it's not that hard. The kit only cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 or so, something like that.

Who makes it and where can I get it?

towerymt said:
[quote:72db6a67b1="oppositelock"]I think the quick rack kit in John's car is something like 2.25-2.5 turns lock to lock I don't remember exactly. The kit consists of a new rack and a new pinion and you have to assemble into your steering rack, it's not that hard. The kit only cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 or so, something like that.

Who makes it and where can I get it?[/quote:72db6a67b1]

Seriously, I'd like to know too!

Doug

Quaife's UK site lists a 240 quick-ratio steering gear set. One could also do some research and see what other cars came with the ZF and CamGear racks.

Unless Dave and John have some Secret Source.

945ti said:
...the SPE which is highly sucessful with a large "rice" spoiler on the back to boot :flamesuit on:.

Oh, so you noticed the spoiler? :wink: The spoiler is there for only one reason, for pissing off all the right people. :twisted: Particularly, certain management and marketing types in SCCA. Also, the reason for that particular wing is because it was the biggest one we could find. It's actually a Group A Touring Car wing from a Mercedes 190E 2.3 16V, although it's been cut down a bit to fit. The wing is there because it is rice, it is worn in a mocking fashion. :booty: So no need for the flamesuit! When we ran the car at the ORV Park Rallysprints one year I actually attatched a giant Folgers coffee can to the tailpipe, but it fell off. :( Must have been because it was decaffeinated!

I believe the quick rack kit in the Monster was sourced through John Vanlandingham. Both Johns are out of the country right now so we'll have to wait until they get back. I'm sure JV can get more quick rack kits. I'll get together with him when he gets back. If a few people are really interested in getting these and ready to put actual money down then getting several at once is the way to go on these things. I think he probably gets them out of Sweden, he has lots of contacts there. I bought a quick rack kit for my Opel through JV many years ago and it seems like it was only about $150.

-Dave Clark

The Getrag sounds good and dandy.....

but i dont perticularly like to have 1:1 ratio 5th gear.......

bench race mode ON!
okej lets say i get this tranny......how would getting a diff rear end gears alter this. i got the 3.55 ones now....lets say i drop this down to 3.0.....beside the ability to go faster at low rpm in 5th, what else will it do?
it wil lengten all the other gears as well correct?

would this setup be better than an m46?

Back