• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Atom's Amazon Wagon Project Update Thread

Atom D&D

The back story-Well, since the recent Photobucket debacle I've decide to create a new thread to update the next phase of the project. Most probably don't know about my project, but I converted my Amazon wagon to two door and proceeded to install all manner of custom bits as part of the process.

ea794a710b593340ab1f155dd4cec9c9.jpg

ce57e2fadb3ad77df5a56a4b5d5aa96b.jpg

ba14ace807af3d4b0737f61eb20b650b.jpg

249cceb50fa08a7091adc618e69c536f.jpg

The past-Well, the car wound up being an Internet hero getting tons of attention and reposts and the original renderings keep popping up all over the place even all these years later. The car was never completed and never ran. The amount of work left to do was just too overwhelming. I don't have a garage at home so I'm at the mercy of a large number of things. Weather, family, house, etc. I decided that it couldn't sit as a driveway ornament any more.

fcf717c26728b0b6ef430f7ca4f3f367.jpg

The plan- I decided the fastest path to being able to actually enjoy the car was to use my favorite part of the Amazon (the body) and put it over an already running/driving chassis. My search began. At first I wanted to stay Volvo. I researched everything from 850 to 240 to V70XC to S40, etc. All are too wide and too long a wheelbase. My search widened. I wanted RWD, manual trans and solid aftermarket support. What I didn't was an obscure car that I'd never be able to find parts for. Turns out (after months of Internet scouring and parking lot tape measure work) that the BMW E30 chassis is about the right wheelbase and very close pinch weld to pinch weld width.

b127e165328e941e2e20397d6e189545.jpg

3596599084b30838002f4ee2796d4563.jpg

The next steps- I started looking for a car and stumbled onto what would be perfect for my needs. An '86 325i convertible that someone had already started parting out (I'd like to point out that all of the cars I've "destroyed" were all headed to the scrap yard before I got them. I'm doing my best to rescue what I can and put the rest of the usable parts in the hands of people who need them). Six cylinder, five speed, extra floor bracing and plenty of aftermarket support. Anyway, I sold the running gear that was in the Amazon and started the break down. Once I had it down to the shell I started by bracing the body to make sure it retained it's shape. Then I removed the entire floor pan. Next I did the necessary repairs to the BMW from the parting process and brought the donor home. I've started removing the outer skin on the BMW. My plan is to prep both cars over the next couple of weeks and I've taken the last week of July off of work to try and complete the body swap.

cb48d67b74611e6ae9ac3255e507d983.jpg

932fe22226fef6d4256ac2933b6028c5.jpg

efb57f6765e88651068f17a145276edc.jpg

fdf956ffc6e3ed7d836fd8f2b458d782.jpg

0df6fdff3343317fa7dea0679a8d286b.jpg

09967e6413a8f50d534e97c0b700b40e.jpg

f395999aa00bf895ff1efc08ef206a22.jpg

I'll try to post my updates here, but I have a history of focusing more on the work and less on the posting.

Stay tuned.

Sometimes the tools you need just don't exist so you gotta make them.

dc55ed64690bc927a31cf1a3f4b9a57b.jpg

4f241512c46d8cb497b323b709eb9000.jpg

c04bc9cb3d08a5285c6ef40c3ae1f556.jpg

The part I enjoy the least. Drilling spot welds and prepping metal.

21aace0b05d85c442ff6518b6e5bd353.jpg

Nice work Adam. It's nuts to think that swapping bodies is less work than finishing the car in its original form. Will you be repainting the entire car ? Keeping the blue or going to another color ?

Nice work Adam. It's nuts to think that swapping bodies is less work than finishing the car in its original form. Will you be repainting the entire car ? Keeping the blue or going to another color ?

I always wanted the paint to patina out, that's why I painted it with single stage to begin with, so I've got that handled at least. I'm going to leave the paint as is for a while. I want to get to a point that I can do stuff because I "want" to, not cause I "have" to.

Followd Your old thread from the beginning and will continue now.
Awesome car and work being done:D

Once it goes in will you be removing the rear seat bracing so the cargo area is still functional?

No, probably not. It'll still be functional, just not AS functional. I think leaving the bulkhead will add nice rigidity. I use my P2 for hauling stuff. This car is mostly for fun.

Got the 4th off, but going to try and handle some less dirty stuff today. Handle some mechanical bits instead of cutting and grinding and metal shavings and grinder dust in my ear holes.

"The amount of work left to do was just too overwhelming."

Please explain to me how the amount of work left to do on the first project is more overwhelming than the bag of worms you've opened now? Sorry but I think you just wasted a ton of time and $ on what was an almost completed project in order to throw even more time and $ on a sketchy project. IMO you should have finished what was going to be an awesome car and then done the next project. The goal is to drive them, is it not? Just what was the stumbling block you're referring to? Just remember, there are no problems, only solutions.

I'm trying to think of a nice way of saying I think this is stupid considering how close you where on the first iteration, but I can't, so I won't.

Please explain to me how the amount of work left to do on the first project is more overwhelming than the bag of worms you've opened now? Sorry but I think you just wasted a ton of time and $ on what was an almost completed project in order to throw even more time and $ on a sketchy project. IMO you should have finished what was going to be an awesome car and then done the next project. The goal is to drive them, is it not? Just what was the stumbling block you're referring to? Just remember, there are no problems, only solutions.

I'm trying to think of a nice way of saying I think this is stupid considering how close you where on the first iteration, but I can't, so I won't.

Your attitude is wrong

It's OK, I don't mind the concern or the comments.

No fuel system
No electrical system
No engine wiring (including ECU and tuning)
No interior
No room for cooling fans
Engine needed to be pulled back out and engine compartment repainted
I was concerned about the mounting system for the rear suspension
The rear suspension was too wide necessitating MASSIVE negative camber

It looked close. In reality it was far off.

I will say that I'm unclear how this is more of a bag of worms than what I had already opened. This route will allow me to have one vehicle to be able to get parts for. Also allows for the massive amount of available tech support and upgrades that have already been worked out. I need repair parts, performance parts or decide I want to upgrade, I get info for a BMW E30 (for which there is an entire race circuit already in place). If anything I've eased my path moving forward. No more "It's a timing belt from an 850 on a marine motor with a VW tensioner and a Toyota transmission being run with a Mitsubishi distributor. Oh, and the rotors are Mitsubishi and calipers are Volvo.....I think".

Thank you for the concern.

Back