• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Deb the 940

Time for some 4.10s in the back out of a later N/A 940 and tightening the kickdown cable as much as you can stand / dare to be able to actually make use of/enjoy what power the overboosted over cammed too small 4cylinder & have the trans last shoving the heavy slut late 7/9 barge around without any real loss in fuel economy with the turbo AW71?
240TIC shift points & early ?82 240T w/looser stall torque converter (only that year 240T automatic has 3.73 rear axle) used to be nice all strictly junkyard recombining the Volvo OE AW71 junk drawer?
?tho the 7/9 shift points and stall speed aren?t *that* grandpa and a bit more fuel economy oriented?

And maybe a 240 distributor/aux shaft swap (tho some 93 940s have the gear machined as do some ?85 740 B230s (used up some extras already machined those years/get lucky when taking a look once in a while?)) to get rid of the stupid tempermental expensive 7/9 cap & rotor or Buchka-spark?

U no have piston rings seize or destroy the ring lands from dirty intake air, bro?

Take apart a bunch of Honda small gas engines on vibrating machines in a dusty environment where someone doesn?t change the air filter or at least backwards blow it/shop Vac it with a super fine filter & dust sock & make sure it seals into the box (they are often in a cheezoid plastique fantastic box that warps or doesn?t seal that good once the seal dries out or vibrates in the sun for long enough)?

Doesn?t always kill the pistons/whole motor motor/can often re-ring & get ?em goin? again, but ?common? for even the better ?quality? or them (such as ?quality? is ?a thing? by definition with horrible dirty noisy temperamental small gas engines that aren?t bound by 10/100 lemon, warranty and class action suit precedent or emissions or customer expectations paying $49k avg price for a new car now and hoping it goes 10-20 years/200k without them having to do anything, by definition?)?

Definitely an issue without screens in the radiator air intake & air filter on some of the ?something got lost in translation? jap or Korean or Chinese cheaper pieces or dusty/dirt work equipment compared to quality/better machines for dusty environments with an initial filter outer element that?s easier to bang gently into the nice metal shop vac with the fine dust pull cord bag? (Before the best of the Japanese & Korean stuff kinda got better than most anything else :lol:?)

I remember all but the late summer draught and all but gravel roads being pretty dust free in coastal northern Washington?
Unless you had rodent or mold problems, ?air filter? ceased to be a ?wear item? for me in the baker wilderness? Maybe some pollen for a couple weeks?
And certainly no dust living on a boat off of remote orcas in the kelp, surrounded by water & some tall trees somewhere cool where the summer draught is only weeks, not even months, usually?
?.& no nearby major source of industrial pollution/activity?

Pete went off the berm and sucked some super fine white Laguna seca racetrack/ Laguna beach sand right thru his oiled K&N gimmick air filter & toasted a motor/cost him a $3000+ race weekend and engine and swore off that gimmick garbage forever!

I?ll never install one, I don?t care if it costs a little more for a half way decent paper or proper oil bath Mann or mahle filter with a washable Brillo pad/pre filter for dusty environments as a maintenance item, even tho paved road B-ham or marysville or island county wa is about as good as it gets for air quality anywhere in the populated industrialized 1sr world (I try not to go any place too dusty or hot if I can help it in general?) ?
?until all the sea kelp dies & dirty air reaches from the Far East &/or trees catch fire or if all becomes one bit hellish subdivision or slum, I guess?

Guess youse guise up in WA that have way too much military industrial & Microsoft money, drinkable water, pud/CO-OP hydropower & good air with good upstanding citizen Swedish/Norwegian PO Seattle Volvos is think the party & kool-aid fountain flow is never gonna end?

Might trickle a little longer there, but the newest redblock is about to turn 30 in a North American Volvo-cars passenger car model & ford & Geely has owned Volvo for some time now?

Maybe get a little longer, but if what happened to CA & OR is any indication and relative lack of any kind of planning?this thread is so 2007?& love it! 10/10!

Last edited:
I wish I had you're decisiveness! I'm so indecisive about mods, painting and upgrades. Probably my OCD! lmao! :rofl:

Mmmm, same colour as those Russian tanks on youtube!!
Much better condition though.
I hope there's not too much damage.
Tim

I'm actually curious to see a video of (everything) and it's driving habits from the (your) drivers point of view. Like spool up time, sound, power, etc.

I put together my own "big turbo" project last year but have yet to install it. Basically, I picked up a (8cm) td06h-20g with a compressor housing from a Hyundai Genesis because it has the integrated BOV just like our cars! (Makes things much easier! I just wish I had the patience to paint (or powdercoat) everything. lol.

a>

Last edited:
I'll try to get video but the tranny is shot lol... maybe I'll get a video of it slippin....runs great though

I've been there! :( I'm on my 3rd transmission. The key is to find a unit out of a low mileage (un abused) car, replace the kickdown cable, perform ACC mod, gasket, filter, more pan magnets, flush with fresh fluid (20+ quarts give or take) until cherry red and add an external cooler! (Also adjust the cable tight enough for line pressure and higher shift points but never let it shift over 6k rpm)

Now, (finally) I have a perfect tranny that barks second gear in the dead heat of summer (on 18" and 245s out back) and takes abuse over and over (at about 300hp) at the moment. I just keep an eye on the Temps and fluid.

I have a billet 20T on at the moment with a straight flange/full 3" (catless) at about 25psi and its quick. A beast in the colder months with the DO88 IC but I'm curious what a big 20G will be like, manner wise, sound wise, etc?

I bet it might actually be easier on everything because of the quick torque onset from the smaller 20t compared to a slower spool and lower Temps from the exhaust side. That little td04h really heats up at 25psi on the parkway! lol.

I have a billet 20T on at the moment with a straight flange/full 3" (catless) at about 25psi and its quick. A beast in the colder months with the DO88 IC but I'm curious what a big 20G will be like, manner wise, sound wise, etc?

I bet it might actually be easier on everything because of the quick torque onset from the smaller 20t compared to a slower spool and lower Temps from the exhaust side. That little td04h really heats up at 25psi on the parkway! lol.

If I ran 25 psi on 61.5mm turbo without aftermarket tuning I'm certain you'd see spaghetti rods:lol: it does sound nice though my 3" dp but it also ends at the bottom of my firewall so it's super loud.
It gets cold here too man and she does rip in that weather. It was like 6 degrees last year or something like that

Last edited:
If I ran 25 psi on 61.5mm turbo without aftermarket tuning I'm certain you'd see spaghetti rods:lol: it does sound nice though my 3" dp but it also ends at the bottom of my firewall so it's super loud.
It gets cold here too man and she does rip in that weather. It was like 6 degrees last year or something like that

Damn... too cold! :O but yeah, I would not run the same boost level with the td06! lol. Id have to figure out what new injector size, new chip tuning maps and some runs with my WB AF system.

Back