• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 low budget mods (engine)

Which years are concerned by the forged stuffs ?

Btw, I learnt a lot thanks to you guys :)

Which years are concerned by the forged stuffs ?

Btw, I learnt a lot thanks to you guys :)

None as far as B230's go.

Some Penta AQ171 engines should have forged crankshafts and I've read the B234's could've had some as well, which would make sense since they're both 16v.

Only some of the B23ET's or FT's and most of the B21's came with forged crankshafts (and maybe) pistons, but not all as far as I'm aware.
This info is just from reading old topics on that subject.

I think about 8 lbs each side. You pull the bumper, remove the four10mm nuts, and then fish the weight out with a coat hanger.

Some models have another weight on the firewall behind the dist. Some are internal to the cabin though.

Crank is cast, rods are forged, piston high pressure cast.

All are good for over 400 hp.

Impressive !

Generally, at what mileage this B230 FT and FK can run before need to do engine overhaul ?

And for the overhaul, need top overhaul or full overhaul?

Thanks

Change all fluids, fix all leaks, replace worn suspension components. Replace soft engine and trans mounts and driveshaft support.

I didn't detect any bad vibrations after removing the frame weights.

Impressive !

Generally, at what mileage this B230 FT and FK can run before need to do engine overhaul ?

And for the overhaul, need top overhaul or full overhaul?

Thanks

Depending how often previous owners changed oil and amout of cold starts, but over 300 t miles is nothing special for Volvo.
Opened one B230F and piston ring gaps were in factory specs after 350000 miles. Cylinder walls were quite shiny, so new rings and honing was performed.

And of course, high mileage engines are often full of sludge and carbon so it doesn't hurt to open engine.

Thanks

New OE and OEM Volvo specs con rods and pistons still available in market?
Which company supply the original rods and pistons for B230FT/FK ? Is it Mahle?

Thanks

Thanks

New OE and OEM Volvo specs con rods and pistons still available in market?
Which company supply the original rods and pistons for B230FT/FK ? Is it Mahle?

Thanks

Yes, several sources, Skandix and most euro parts houses have them. The rods I took a look at, but could not find any clear markings, possibly they were volvo specific, many have ran chinese H-beam rods with succes here. The pistons are Mahle.

The original Mahles are getting harder to get. I had to order mine from Skandix just a few months ago, because they weren't available at the local volvo dealer nor the Mahle importer any more.

Kms for overhaul can vary greatly. I had to bore the block of my B230FK to OD at only 355tkm/220k miles. Then again, the last 130tkm (at least) have been on higher boost level, bigger turbo, occational track days and so on. Also, judging from the carbon deposits i the head I noticed after I got the car, I would guess service had been semi-neglected at some point. My B230FD seemed to be in a bit better shape with the same milage.

If you are planning to replace the pistons, I would suggest you have the block measured before you order new pistons (in case you have to go OD).

Thank you

about D088 intercooler, it's so expensive when it reach my door. currency exchange rate, shipping and tax. i understand do88 intercooler is good

can i use fmic, mounting the fmic at lower bumper air opening. at lower bumper fitting location, the fmic not blocking fresh air to aircond condenser and radiator.

the promblem with low fmic mount, the intercooler piping will be long, and i afraid of turbo lag. most aftermarket fmic have 2.5" in and out. can i tapper down the intercooler in and exit from 2.5" to 2.25" , so that air in intercooler system could easily fill up the smaller 2.25" piping...with hope the smaller fmic piping reduce turbo lag. Is this theory ok?

thank you

KL Racing Intercooler is almost half the price and while I haven't tried the do88 one personally, I don't think the upcharge is really worth it.

I'm not really following your thoughts about the piping or mounting, your car should have a stock intercooler anyway.
The aftermarket units just swap out with some minor work on the rubber mounting brackets.

KL carries both versions, AC and non-AC:
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/volvo-940-utan-ac-60mm.html
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/volvo-940-med-ac-60mm-.html

Also, I made a topic on it a while ago: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=343520

Back