• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

CD009 Swap Guide 7/900 Edition.

I'm not all that happy with my top-mount CBF shifter. I already broke one plastic shifter pivot ball while gently (seriously) tightening the lever down onto it. He did send a free replacement, but the way it works is that it's held in place via a pin on the shaft, and then pins in the case fit in as well. Which gives it two places for slight clearances to allow the shifter to wiggle/slop. And I'm using an offset lever (provided by him) to put the shift knob further back/to the right, and that just serves to amplify the slop.

It's not like stirring chunky soup with a wooden spoon, not TERRIBLE, but at the same time, I sort of would like a nice tight rifle action/Miata shifter snick-snick-snick. And that's not what I have.

I'm not all that happy with my top-mount CBF shifter. I already broke one plastic shifter pivot ball while gently (seriously) tightening the lever down onto it. He did send a free replacement, but the way it works is that it's held in place via a pin on the shaft, and then pins in the case fit in as well. Which gives it two places for slight clearances to allow the shifter to wiggle/slop. And I'm using an offset lever (provided by him) to put the shift knob further back/to the right, and that just serves to amplify the slop.

It's not like stirring chunky soup with a wooden spoon, not TERRIBLE, but at the same time, I sort of would like a nice tight rifle action/Miata shifter snick-snick-snick. And that's not what I have.

Plastic does not seem like a good solution. The top mount solution looks a lot more complicated.

Even the shortest rear mount wouldn't work well in a 240. The fit would be better in a 7/9 series.

So I was down at Yoshifab last weekend, I saw a 240 with a CD009. It must have had a top mount shifter. I was told it took a considerable amount of 'adjusting' the transmission tunnel for it to fit.

Mine wasn't too bad. I spent a bit of time with an angle grinder knocking down all the non-functional nubs and lumps that stick out of the trans, then a while with the BFH. Nothing too crazy.

The further back you want it to sit, the worse the fit will be.

Josh probably used the Autosports Engineering front mount shifter,that he is now carrying, in the 240. I had asked him about the shifter he developed if it would be suitable for using it with the CD009 I am installing in my 1800ES project. He said it would be too far back and that the Autosports Engineering shifter would be better for my application. I appears that the shifter will be very close to original location. I haven't mounted the transmission in the car yet and I am sure it will need more that a BFH, ie a new tunnel fabricated.

RYCCsa1

If Yoshifab could finally get his shifter adapter available ther would be a cheaper alternative around. I don't know where he's at with that. Maybe you could shoot him an email about it?

I asked him in an email and he just gave me the link to the one on the page. Probably what I am going with. I have never even done a clutch much less a transmission. I got it though. just hoping I don't have to bash that much.

Is than an M46 also? do you know what your casting number is?

I don't see any similar adapters on the site. My bellhousing has a sticker on it that says

M46 NR 1208230
Fabr NR 113?28 (can't definitively read the ? digit)

Casting number is 1023531

Yeah it's an m46 bellhousing

Unfortunately I don't have access to check the casting number at the moment, nor have I been able to find images of it. But here are some images of the m46 trans it came off of if that is any help.

bmXVQejl.jpg

72vaTVyl.jpg

nlEBJTul.jpg

Pictures

I just noticed that I can turn the bellhousing on the adapter to a point where the holes are all off by the same amount in the same direction. Like the zero point was off for that operation. I was trying to post pictures but not having much luck

view

view

view

view

Last edited:
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/18dYikfITBYSWL3VURkMY0rRi21inQt-l/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/18cPwhCIkAVVm0lRGHqT0yb4tKlIrSaCC/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/18aCoE0o-TrX0HFZhv_WOryRs6t_w1FQX/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/18_TIwICX2wKZY1X6bG4CeVYOja5ODSMu/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

DHMTyNLl.jpg

IMqVyGLl.jpg

Psbmbkzl.jpg

Hard to tell, but comparing your images to mine, looks like you might have a slightly different bellhousing, possibly an m47? But I really don't know

those pictures were before I realized they were all off the same amount. In that position I am able to put one bolt in. The sticker says M46, Even if it were an M47 it's supposed to work. I contacted Deeworks.

I just noticed that I can turn the bellhousing on the adapter to a point where the holes are all off by the same amount in the same direction. Like the zero point was off for that operation. I was trying to post pictures but not having much luck

Very possible.
I think Deeworks Cuts the center hole to order based on the type of cd trans you have

I can confirm the original clutch i ran with the setup was to small. it worked, and got me going, but it unevenly wore the flywheel and pressure plate.
it was the cheapest way to get the car going and it does work, its just not ideal.
it lasted me long enough to save the nearly $2000 Nzd i needed for the better setup.
The cheaper alternative that i was going to get was the clutch upgrade that Yoshifab sells, the main reason i diddnt was so in future i can buy shelf stuff for my car locally.

I?m currently going through this swap myself and am considering different clutch options. When he said that the 235 mm kit would allow him to use off the shelf options in the future, what options are he talking about? I don?t know of any stock nissans that use a 235 mm clutch and pressure plate. Does the 250 mm stock VQ35DE clutch fit on the yoshifab flywheel?

I?m currently going through this swap myself and am considering different clutch options. When he said that the 235 mm kit would allow him to use off the shelf options in the future, what options are he talking about? I don?t know of any stock nissans that use a 235 mm clutch and pressure plate. Does the 250 mm stock VQ35DE clutch fit on the yoshifab flywheel?

He mentioned to me a toyota truck clutch.

Back