• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Classicswede Lowering Springs

Hey, I recently bought a 245 and have been considering the classicswede lowering springs. I am torn between the 60/40 mm and the 80/60mm lowering springs. If anyone has these springs on there car could you post them please?

The question is how low do you want to go? Remember you will need to get adjustable panhard and torque rods to keep the geometry proper. 60/40mm = ~2.3/1.5". 80/60mm = ~3.1/2.3". How's your driving style? Road surface quality? Goals?

The 240 has a solid rear axle and a five-link suspension system. One of those links is the panhard bar, which bolts to the body at one end and the axle at the other. It runs from side-to-side. It locates the rear axle in a vertical plane across the back of the car. What this means is that the rear axle moves side-to-side slightly as the suspension compresses and rebounds. If you crawl under your car and look around it's pretty obvious.

If you lower the car without shortening the panhard bar in any way, it will hold the axle off-center towards the passenger side of the car.

The torque rods are the same story, just front-to-back. IPD has sold a boatload of both over the years because everybody looks at these cars and thinks they need to get lowered.

Kaplhenke sells version of both as well.

Ok thank you for your help. I think I?ll just deal with stock ride height and save up for real coilovers.
Where are you located? USA or?

It's pretty simple to cut your springs and as long as you don't get carried away and you trim the bump stops down, it will still ride fine and actually handle better.

I considered cutting the springs but I heard that is kind of dangerous.
On a 240 it's not that big of a deal. I've had 240's with cut springs for 20+ years. I tracked them, auto-x'd them and driven quickly in the mountains where I grew up with out a single problem. I have 3 teenage boys, all drive 240's with cut springs daily.

About how many coils did you cut off?
Every 240 is a little different and it depends on how low you want to be. I cut 1.5 off of my parent's (67 years old) 90 245. Rides better and handles better. Hardly notice it's lowered. My personal cars are usually 2.5-3 coils. If you don't want to be very low, 2 coils is a good place to start. That is close to the IPD sport spring height. Trim off more if you want to go lower. At 3+ you will really start to compromise ride quality as you will be running out of suspension travel.

Back