• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

why are there wires, where do they go?!

sc0terdad

so, it seems the previous owner of my 81 242 "tampered" with some of the accessories on the console/lower dash/idk because the console/lower dash/idk had begun to crumble.

basically i am at a loss as to the locations for wires and where they go.
if you know please shed some light on the situation.

23E56761-C4B6-4378-8AFC-EE52FB11B596.jpeg

rear defrost has a red wire connecting to nothing and an empty connector.

D4EAD0C5-4E5C-499A-A9CF-D3D921C34786.jpeg

two mysterious unconnected wires.

63CA5E39-C681-4561-B615-545B91C217CE.jpeg

and this (which I partially assume was for the console/lower dash/idk lighting but idk)

thanks for any info, its all appreciated.

My suggestion moving forward would be to get the wiring manual for your year 240, whether hard copy or digital. It makes life easy , as Volvo supplied diagrams indicate not only the wiring, but all the component illustrations for every system, and their specific location. It makes many things easier to figure out.

you can also edit your sig to include your Volvo info, so you don't have to mention it in the post everytime...

The bottom picture is the light bulb holder that goes in the heater control panel behind your hand. There are two spots for bulbs on that panel and one bulb goes at the top of the center stack cover just above the switches to light them at night.

bringing this back from the dead but, another issue I am having that I cant seem to find an answer to in the wiring diagram. that may be due to incompetence but whatever,

what I was wondering was: I do not have any air flow to the rear window vents, I do not know what to do. I was hoping one of you did.

thanks very much

I do not have any air flow to the rear window vents, I do not know what to do. I was hoping one of you did.
Vents? You mean the slots at the bottom of the rear window?

As far as I know, those are just passive vents to let the air you pump into the car via the heater some way to get back out. Pretty sure it's into the trunk, then out the vents between the rear window and trunk lid.

Not directly connected to the heater ducts, so no (inward) air flow from them.

parcel-shelf-vents.jpg

Last edited:
Vents? You mean the slots at the bottom of the rear window?

As far as I know, those are just passive vents to let the air you pump into the car via the heater some way to get back out. Pretty sure it's into the trunk, then out the vents between the rear window and trunk lid.

Not directly connected to the heater ducts, so no (inward) air flow from them.

parcel-shelf-vents.jpg

alrighty then, well that clears that up.
thanks very much

Back