• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The best 91-93 240 windshield option in 2022

OVERDRIVE

Is Pilkington still the go-to? Is Volvo still an option? I want the right seal, I've had a few 90 and older 240's with the later windshield that had poor seal fitment.

Volvo still sells them but at double the price
Two years ago Pinkherhole was not available and some other volvo oe manufacturer was making them. Seal was good

I?m very happy with my FYG. No distortions and the seal is nice and wide (wider than the OEM seal that was on my ?91) so it would probably look fine on a 90 and earlier car with the wide chrome trim.

Is Pilkington still the go-to? Is Volvo still an option? I want the right seal, I've had a few 90 and older 240's with the later windshield that had poor seal fitment.

The problem I had with my replacement windshield was the rubber seal was too narrow. The seller guaranteed it would fit, but it did not on the lower corners. $200 installed, glass came from Chicago, not sure of the brand.

:cameron:

The problem I had with my replacement windshield was the rubber seal was too narrow. The seller guaranteed it would fit, but it did not on the lower corners. $200 installed, glass came from Chicago, not sure of the brand.

:cameron:

You have to request a wider seal or provide your own. Installers will get away with using the cheapest seal.

You have to request a wider seal or provide your own. Installers will get away with using the cheapest seal.

I understand that the seal comes with the windshield. When I've got a quote before, the only part they would have to order is the windshield (because the seal comes on the windshield). I've heard that Pilkington seals are no longer the same construction as OE. I honestly wouldn't mind paying more for a Volvo windshield IF the installer was competent.

when I got the new glass in the wagon. The seal was too narrow. I tried to order a larger seal with the shop but they claimed it couldn't be done since it was installed at the manufacturer. Now after two years. the upper corners are peeling away. I went back to the shop to have them glue the corners down and they refused saying it looks fine. :pow: It doesn't look good and it's not fine. But I gotta live with it for now.

FYG in my 242 is fine, I wish I could get one without the shade band.

My glass guy said he could get me a Pilkington... that came from the same factory in China as all the others. That was years ago, too.

Still haven't gotten mine replaced yet. I like the look of the chrome, I just don't trust that a place will set the clips right, or that the seal on a 91+ will be the right fit. Some glass shops don't want to use supplied parts even if they are Volvo brand, because they won't warranty it.

Trival is Pilkington's older car line. Have one installed in my 242. Yeah, got stuck with the skinny seal. Other than the skinny seal, glass seems as good as the 1990s Pilkington glass we had in two 245s, and my original 242.

Still haven't gotten mine replaced yet. I like the look of the chrome, I just don't trust that a place will set the clips right, or that the seal on a 91+ will be the right fit. Some glass shops don't want to use supplied parts even if they are Volvo brand, because they won't warranty it.

Then DIY with a friend. The butyl tape windshields are very straight forward to replace. If
I recall correctly you use 3/8" butyl windshield tape. You set the clips on the glass and install the trim with the rubber strip installed. Then set the windshield and be sure to set it on top
of the rubber spacers at the bottom. I already regret having the glass in the 93 wagon done
by a shop with the new glue and incorrect size sealing strip. Bleh.

Then DIY with a friend. The butyl tape windshields are very straight forward to replace. If
I recall correctly you use 3/8" butyl windshield tape. You set the clips on the glass and install the trim with the rubber strip installed. Then set the windshield and be sure to set it on top
of the rubber spacers at the bottom. I already regret having the glass in the 93 wagon done
by a shop with the new glue and incorrect size sealing strip. Bleh.

Funny enough, this is round 2 of windshield replacement. I pulled an earlier style PPG at PnP, and ordered new clips and butyl. The butyl I got was not even tacky, it was like silly putty. I got 3m urethane and the 3m primer and installed the windshield, but it cracked 24 hours later after sitting in the sun after being fully set, and it leaks all over the fuses and down into the carpet. The clips didn't seem to set into the butyl, I'm not sure where it's leaking from. I would do it again with the right butyl and a new windshield.

The butyl is supposed to be like silly putty. Then after baking in the sun it softens and takes more of a set with the windshield. You can get different thicknesses. You may want to use something thicker like a 7/16 thick butyl tape. Mine was done in 2k and now it leaks, too. But it lasted a long time before it started leaking again. I would do it again since I'm so unhappy with the so called professional work I paid for. :lol: I used to even have
one of those suction cup glass holders. Don't know where that went
been so long.

does this info generally apply to 960s? I have a 96 960 that needs a new windshield. i really don't trust anyone in my local area to do it given the low-quality work culture that pervades.

is it a tough job?

does this info generally apply to 960s? I have a 96 960 that needs a new windshield. i really don't trust anyone in my local area to do it given the low-quality work culture that pervades.

is it a tough job?

I did the windshield in my 240 like I mentioned earlier. I used 3M urethane and the primer. If you're patient, have an extra set of hands, and somewhere covered and heated preferably in this weather, you can probably do it. I used a used earlier style windshield but with urethane and 2 things happened, it cracked after it set, and the clips for the trim cause some holes in the urethane for water to get in.

Thread update, I got more clips, I'm going to buy another new earlier style windshield, I got a recommendation from the old guy at the dealer parts counter for someone who can do it the way I want it done (i.e. the way the greenbook says).

I just had an XYG installed in my 83. The included seal was much too narrow so he used a universal 25mm but I think I should have gone just a tad wider. I was skeptical on the glass but it's got zero distortions in it. I miss the amber tint stripe on my original glass, but I'll gladly take the blue to be able to see clearly out of the front of the car again.

local shop quoted me $270 i think on replacement. I'm anxious of spending that only to have a leaking/crack-prone windshield

The crack I got was most likely from using a used PPG windshield. The leaks could be fixed if I cared, I would just need to touch up the sealer around the clips. The butyl helps keep the windshield height right, I think mine shifted and exposed some areas around the clips. My main hesitancy about going through a normal glass shop is getting a seal that fits as well as the factory 91-93.

Back