• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project: Single Digit Brick

Nick Oc

I have never had a build thread before, so if it sucks bare with me. I bought this car about four years ago for a practically nothing because the rear bumper fell off. I worked at a foreign car shop and the guy was moving back home after collage. Shortly after getting it home and fixed, my cousin desperately needed a car, and asked if i had anything reliable. Sold him the Volvo with the promise to sell it back to me if he ever bought something else. Almost 4 years to the day, I bought it back and I plan to finish what I had planned years ago. My plan for the car is to run single digits in the quarter mile.
This was the car shortly after I sold it to my cousin.

After I got it home, my two year old son Carter fell in love. Every time I was in the garage he would ask me to "drive" it.

Last month I started really getting down to business. Pulled the interior out and pulled all the original wiring because it was starting to go bad. Going to replace the harness with a "hot rod" kit and replace the electric windows with crank windows. Car will also be receiving racing Corbau racing seats.

Motor removal

Car is currently getting mustang front spindles, coilovers and brakes fitted to the front. Will have aluminum dual piston brakes. Had to build some ball joint adapters, borrowed the design off of 55SuperBeatle. He has answered all of my questions I've bombarded him with.
Here are the coils and adapters.

Thats as far as I have gotten with it. Progress may be slow as family and bills comes first, but I hope to have it ready for next year and hopefully the car can live up to its name.

Got a little progress done tonight. Installed the struts and spindles. I also mocked up the brakes and test fit my 16 inch aluminum spares. Will end up needing a very thin spacer to clear the caliper bracket..

Well as I mentioned before progress will be slow as family is taking up a majority of my free time and my free money. But I did manage to start rewiring the car and got the rear half of the interior back in. Also started the manual window regulators from Billy780.

After the seat was in I had to take that seat for a test drive. Made engine noises the whole time. LOL

I also started on the battery relocation. Got about 30ft of 2/0 from the recycling bin at work and ran that along the passenger side. Also wiring in the battery cut off to shut off the fuse box killing power to everything.

I also picked up a brand new 12 gallon cell for cheap.

Have a fox mustang 8.8 sitting here waiting on parts to swap into the car. Got some new lower arms for the rear. Ordered heims and swedged rod. Much cheaper than building and no welding involved. Need to order tabs so i dont have to cut up the stock rear.

When I ls swapped my 95 mustang the stock cable worked perfectly. So i grabbed one from the junk yard and it actually fit the volvo perfectly. Just had to swap the pedal mount portion over..

Also mounted my 7/9 series fan to my radiator. went as big as possible on the radiator so i now have to make a new lower radiatir support because this radiator is 4 inches taller than to olf unit. Still may swap it out for a thinner one and do a grill mounted turbo.

Hate to follow the trend, but the ls style motor will let me attain my goal pretty easily. My biggest hurdles are going to be running a down pipe around ac and adapting volvo to ls for that ac. Possibly heater core lines too.

the downpipe may be a little bit of a challenge, the other things are by far not the hardest aspect of the swap ;)

This weekend allowed me some free time to do some things. I pulled the rear end, gas tank, and pulled the fuel pump off the bottom of the car.

Started mocking up my tripple pass radiator.

We've had a slow week at work so it left me with a ton of time to fab some stuff. I built a tubular radiator crossmember, adjustable control arm mounts and a manual brake plate.

Also picked up a ebay 50mm wastegate for $20. Next to my $20 turbo.

So I have been very slow at work the last month or so. Great for getting free things done on the car.
Built myself some fuel cell straps, and saved over $30.

Yanked the dash and all the rewiring ive done back out because I hate the harness I bought and found a leaky heater core. Not sure ill be putting the stock stuff back in. MUCH more room for a air to water intercooler.

Started modifying the brake pedal to accept the manual master cylinder set up I made. Cut the pivot tube a 1/2 inch on drivers side, and flipped it to the passenger side. I also welded a bolt 1.25 inches above the stock push rod hole to achieve a 7:1 pedal ratio.

Here you can see the pedal over enough to accompany the new push rod.

Also picked up a 5.3. It has a new timing chain and a new oil pump. I also started slapping my parts to it like my manifolds and my oil feed line.
Should be starting motor mounts in the next week or so.

I have also found out my wife is expecting, so the little time and money ill have left over, may be already spoken for. After I get the things ove already done or made put on, the car may sit a long while. May start cutting to make it a dedicated track car with a 7.50 et style cage and ladder bar suspension. Ma sell it as is. Who knows where it goes from here.

Back