• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

$20 tach option in 240

vishmutzy

I have a base ‘91 245 and wanted a tach. The OEM large meter tach (replace clock) and small 52mm tach (gauge bezel in dash to right of meter) are what I was after but after a few weeks of searching I could find anything reasonably priced.

So I decided to investigate aftermarket. As mentioned above, the OEM small tach is 52mm - same as other Volvo aux gauges - to fit the dash mounting holes. Bosch sells a 2-5/8” tach, but that’s too large without hacking the dash holes. Autometer sells some 52mm tachs and I’m sure they are nice at over $120, but the deal breaker for me was their mounting bracket would be difficult to work in the available space. VDO also sells 52mm tachs, but no online vendors had the 6k or 8k RPM version in stock. Nice thing about the VDO is the threaded ring mounting method that is low-profile enough to fit between the blockoff panel & dash hole.

What I decided to try was a universal (and cheap) 52mm tach which are all over eBay for about $20. They are a knockoff of the VDO tachs in appearance and have the same threaded ring mount. Besides the wiring, all I needed to do was holesaw a 2” hole into a flat blockoff panel and used a sanding drum to open it an extra 1mm diameter. Oh yeah, I also sanded down the height of threaded mounting ring a few mm's as well for clearance between the backside of panel to the dash.
Example item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392899242355

Wiring consisted of the following:
1. Switched + from fuse 12 open fusebox terminal
2. Illumination + from fuse 16 (made a splitter off of fusebox terminal)
3. Ground - to bolt attaching hood release bracket in front of fusebox
4. Coil signal from white/red tach wire behind meter

qHmcZYD.jpg

ygnWyA5.jpg

40uW8Vd.jpg

Last edited:
Although it would cost more than you spent on the gauge to buy them new you could have mounted it using the 3 rubber retainers and a stock gauge bezel.

fullsize_35388.jpg

fullsize_35270.jpg

Although it would cost more than you spent on the gauge to buy them new you could have mounted it using the 3 rubber retainers and a stock gauge bezel.

Indeed, that was my plan but the bezel is backordered (or at least not in stock) and I wasn't sure the eBay gauge surround would fit the profile of the countersunk bezel. It would look better being recessed, maybe I'll add the $5 bezel and rubber retainers to my next iPd parts order and try it.

Honestly the cheap gauge was simply going to be a fitment test jig before I invested in a real VDO gauge (best price I could find is $75), but it works and looks decent so might as well use it until it dies.

Photos added. Thanks 2turbotoys for advice to use imgur. It's been a few years since my last Volvo (V90 LS1 T56 :-D) so I need to get back into the turbobricks groove.

Large tachs

Voluparts in Atlanta has used large tachs. I bought 2 from them and I believe they were $50 total.

Back