• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Well I'm heading to pick up my trans this weekend, and maybe some wheels.

I've been debating something, maybe I can get some insight here without cluttering up performance. I've been debating my decision to go with MS3x. A MS2 3.57 box would do what I need, and I could get it assembled for about $200 less than 3x. Brett was enlighening me about sequential MS (http://jbperf.com/)

My question is this: Are there any inherent benefits with MS3 that MS2v3.57 does not have? Added reliability? Anything of the sort?

I noticed ya painted engine bay black. Is there a repaint of the Moose planned?

I noticed ya painted engine bay black. Is there a repaint of the Moose planned?

Eventually, I'll get the exterior redone. I've always liked a gloss black engine bay. There are parts that aren't perfect, but I can deal. It looks very good to me. Not great, but very good.

What kind of paint on the engine bay?

Rustoleum Gloss Black Engine Enamel. Lowes had a good sale.

Nice!! Being away from my brick makes me want to do this more and more. I will do it when I get back home.

It's a lot of work. A lot. I'm pleased with it, but I wouldn't do it again. Part of my frustration was probably not having a paint gun, but it came out better than expected.

just rock the ms2 for now. if an SMD board isnt that much more expensive, roll with that.

pop in the ms3x board later.

I've been debating something, maybe I can get some insight here without cluttering up performance. I've been debating my decision to go with MS3x. A MS2 3.57 box would do what I need, and I could get it assembled for about $200 less than 3x. Brett was enlighening me about sequential MS (http://jbperf.com/)

My question is this: Are there any inherent benefits with MS3 that MS2v3.57 does not have? Added reliability? Anything of the sort?

what are your goals? what mods do you plan on using? a v3.0 board and ms1 chip are plenty for my wagon(250-350hp daily driver 8v....eventually), but i think i might go ms2 for the sedan if i ever get to upgrading it(16v, caged.....eventually). i think it's just more options(which you might not even use). i wouldn't worry about over complicating things unless you NEED those options, standard fuel install with wasted spark might be enough, and would be less time figuring things out and more time driving. those options look good in sigs, but if it's on jackstands who the f cares :p .

but back to ms3, someone posted all the benefits in a thread a few months ago, no idea what thread it was but it does look pretty baller. but i'm cheap and good enough is good enough for me

seen this today in person, pictures dont do justice to what this man is doing great work jared. im here for ya if you need help i has a welder or can get some some parts on the downlow-_-

what are your goals? what mods do you plan on using? a v3.0 board and ms1 chip are plenty for my wagon(250-350hp daily driver 8v....eventually), but i think i might go ms2 for the sedan if i ever get to upgrading it(16v, caged.....eventually). i think it's just more options(which you might not even use). i wouldn't worry about over complicating things unless you NEED those options, standard fuel install with wasted spark might be enough, and would be less time figuring things out and more time driving.

You make a good point. But, If I can spend the money once and go MS3, I wouldn't need to upgrade for a long, long time. The more I look at it, the more sufficient MS2 is, but in the grand scheme of things, $200 isn't a deal breaker. And If I didn't spend it on MS3, I'd probably spend it on something stupid like <del>a two piece adjustable cam gear</del> hookers and blow

those options look good in sigs, but if it's on jackstands who the f cares :p .
Truth. and my car isn't on jackstands, b*tch :p

but back to ms3, someone posted all the benefits in a thread a few months ago, no idea what thread it was but it does look pretty baller. but i'm cheap and good enough is good enough for me

Search mode ENGAGED

seen this today in person, pictures dont do justice to what this man is doing great work jared. im here for ya if you need help i has a welder or can get some some parts on the downlow-_-

Thanks for stopping by-glad you liked it. I remembered what I needed to weld! And then I forgot again.

I mean I know its expensive but that ms3x is baller status...ms3 still gets you usb hook up and sd card data logging, and if you want to upgrade to the ms3x later you can. Someone mentioned a while ago that with all of the added features its going to be harder to tune, but I think thats expected.

Went and picked up a care package from the CEO of Mangohick Motorsports today. Pics tomorrow once it all gets unloaded.

Well, here's some of the stuff...

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

Greentops :ninja:
IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

18lb flywheel wuutt?
IMG_2212.jpg

Plus all kinds of other stuff...Time to get crackin'

Well, it looks like I had a reality check. I'll finish paying for my MS2 v3.57 setup this coming friday, my clutch disc is in the mail, the head is at the machine shop, and I found a cheap laptop for tuning purposes on craigslist the other day...I'm trying to get it running on Linux now.

It looks like I should have all the pieces in one place by Saturday, the 13th. I really, really want to finish in time to drive it to school on the 20th, but I really don't think I will. But honestly, it doesn't much matter. I still have to make a couple small purchases anyway. It does, however, look like it'll be ready for SE, just in time to break something.

BAM! it's been over a month since an update, and stuff is falling together even more. I just got my MS box in the mail (DIY Autotune-assembled MSII v3.57 box, 4 bar mapdaddy sensor), I finished porting and polishing my head and just got it back from the machine shop, flywheel is getting surfaced this week, so it looks like next time I'm home from school, I'll get the motor assembled and put the motor/trans in the car. I'm still hunting for a wideband and a couple other little things, but I've got the majority of the parts to rock 'n roll on this bitch. I should probably order some tubing and a muffler to do my exhaust as well...

we did that flywheel, btw. I didn't realize vince sold the whole setup, but I guess it makes sense since he's going autotragic.

excellent project Jared. Do NOT run a pucked clutch on that flywheel. Organic, carbon or carbon/kevlar only!

Back