• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Hopefully heading home this weekend. I chickened out and registered TS, so I'm just going to click a button and watch VE Analyze Live work it's magic.

If it doesn't rain (and soak the ground behind the garage) I'll try and get it on the road. I just have to get it out of a low area and up a muddy hill lol.

Bump for pics (stuff changed, honest)

Built a little circuit that will (hopefully) drive my tach.
IMG_4786.JPG

Same old, same old, now with moar ricer air filter and better sorted IC piping.
IMG_4789.JPG

Downpipe heatwrapped
IMG_4794.JPG

Downpipe past the pan. You can see two hoses zip-tied together. Those are the hoses for my oil filter relocator, which really needs 90* fittings instead of the straight ones it came with. The 180* turn off the straight fittings puts the oil hoses too close to the exhaust for comfort.
IMG_4799.JPG

Transition from the downpipe (It's clamped now.)
IMG_4798.JPG

In front of the axle
IMG_4801.JPG

Behind the axle
IMG_4802.JPG

The muffler (Dynomax VT) and exit
IMG_4804.JPG

And that's looking a little cleaner under there
IMG_4805.JPG

Coming soon: Painted or powdercoated ((!)possible early birthday present (!)) Multi-Xs, headlights, a new windshield and headliner, and the adventures of tuning.

Edit//Forgot to mention that I discovered my oil pan is leaky. Yeah. From around the threaded drain bung. I must've dented it just enough to start a pinhole leak. Sucks to suck.

Last edited:
Not very. The IPD sport springs up front are uncut, and the stocks in the back only have 1 or 2 coils off. The IPD springs dropped it about .5" in the front from the worn out stockers.

I'm keeping it a little higher just because of the gravel roads up around school...flying down them at 55 is waaay too much fun and I can't do that in a slammed car.

Yeah the under axle exhaust looks to be almost too low. I would almost think 2 more 180 bends would be helpful to toss it overaxle.

Finally got my oil filter relocator installed after running all over everywhere looking for fittings. Front end is back on.

Tomorrow, it hits the road.

Does running all over hell to find items that should be in stock everywhere, piss you off too?:nod:

Very much. So much wasted windshield time.

Today, all I needed was a male 1/2" NPT to female 1/2" NPT fitting. I could have done what I wanted with two pieces from Lowes, but that introduces another joint and another potential leak.

3 ACE hardware stores...they had 3/4 to 1/2 bushings, 1/2 to 3/8, etc, but no 1/2 to 1/2. Went to the trusty mom 'n pop hardware store...no dice.

I finally wound up going to Aeroquip...even they didn't have it! But they were able to track one down for me.

On the other side of town where I had just been... :grrr:

I'm still looking for one more 3/8 flared brass end cap.:lol:

Over axle would've been way to difficult to fab up without it hitting things. I'm pleased with how it came out.

Yeah, I had done the over axle when I did my 3". Reason I mention it is that on my 242 when i had it basic lowering springs (uncut) the mud flaps almost dragged on the ground, and it looks like the exhaust is hanging much lower than the mud flaps. But it could be an illusion, get it moving today!!!!!!

I really like the way RJ's Custom Piping tucked mine nice & close to the floorboard.

It's acually a better fit than the OEM exhaust IMO. I notice in my pics of the car, the exhaust cannot be seen in a "low sideview". I do wish I'd used a offset in/out rear muffler,(would have tucked up even closer in the rear)d but not problems with it the way it is.

Yep it was expensive, but I'm very happy with the job.

Yeah, I had done the over axle when I did my 3". Reason I mention it is that on my 242 when i had it basic lowering springs (uncut) the mud flaps almost dragged on the ground, and it looks like the exhaust is hanging much lower than the mud flaps. But it could be an illusion, get it moving today!!!!!!

It really doesn't hang that low. When I took those pictures, it was twisted so it was hanging slightly lower. I've moved it back up no.

Also, **** me. **** me **** me **** me.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256202

Well I'll be damned.

IMG_4846.JPG

Little change of scenery.

IMG_4837.JPG

It runs. It stops. It sort of drives. Discovered an issue with the trans-when the clutch pedal is pressed in, something rubs. Maybe the fork on the pressure plate or something. I'll pop the trans off tomorrow and have a look.

Drove it today. Video tomorrow.

Actually drove okay, considering it was the first time out. I let it warm up a little, turned on autotune, and drove. In 30 seconds or so, the bucking in first gear was gone, and I could slowly shift gears. A few more minutes, and I could actually cruise around.

Still can't go much past 1/4 throttle without it bucking pretty bad, but I'm sure that time will fix that.

Still have a slow drip from the oil drain plug, but what the hell can you do? Long term solution will probably be to weld a smaller bung over top of the current spot, and use a smaller drain plug.

Or I could just weld the damn thing shut, and use one of these
http://www.amazon.com/LiquiVac-Liqu...5IZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333767363&sr=8-1
:p

Overall, I'm pleased. I'm making good progress. It's a shame that I have to go back to school Sunday.

Back