• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Which drag strip Jared? Give me a heads up the next time you go - I'd like to come up if you'll have me.

PHR came out with the photo contest guidelines -- looks like no contest for me this year. Apparently it had devolved into people getting professional photographers to shoot their cars for them. New rules this year require the photographer be the car owner or a member of the immediate family.

Which drag strip Jared? Give me a heads up the next time you go - I'd like to come up if you'll have me.

we went to pageland and i would like for you to come! all of the rednecks out there would drop jaw at a volvo with a v8! always the more there are the better it is!

Yeah, absolutely the more the merrier.

Maybe I can convince Derrick and Mark to drive up to Mooresville next time so they get to do the hour drive instead of us rolling the 1.5 hours down to Pageland.

Mooresville does theirs on Thursday nights, but Pageland sure was fun.

PHR came out with the photo contest guidelines -- looks like no contest for me this year. Apparently it had devolved into people getting professional photographers to shoot their cars for them. New rules this year require the photographer be the car owner or a member of the immediate family.

Oh that's a shame. Stuff like that always tends to happen.

You could sell me your car for $1, and I could take shots, but you probably wouldn't get it back :lol:

Or - I could adopt you for an hour. :-D On the other hand - you could set everything up; I could push the button; and if we win anything - it's yours.

Well, I swapped in the 8ES plugs tonight, and it runs noticeably better. It's not very cool at the moment, but the car starts quicker and seems smoother.

#4 and #1 plug wires are a little loose on the plugs which may be part of the problem-colder, denser air makes for a charge more difficult to ignite? I dunno.

"....colder, denser air makes for a charge more difficult to ignite?" Nope. Colder, denser charge helps everything - especially with boost/power adders. Detonation when it gets colder - makes me think the timing curve is off -- too aggressive as intake air temps drop.

Timing curve is stupid low. I need to check my base timing, but the clamp on my timing light won't fit around these plug wires!

Right now, timing is set by a guesstimate when I installed the DSM CAS on the block.

That's probably my problem right thurrr, but I don't want to spend the coin on a timing light with a clamp to accommodate these wires. Derrick thinks his might have a clamp large enough, but I rarely have the time to drive an hour south to his place.

Timing curve is stupid low. I need to check my base timing, but the clamp on my timing light won't fit around these plug wires!

Right now, timing is set by a guesstimate when I installed the DSM CAS on the block.

That's probably my problem right thurrr, but I don't want to spend the coin on a timing light with a clamp to accommodate these wires. Derrick thinks his might have a clamp large enough, but I rarely have the time to drive an hour south to his place.

Just swap one of your old plugs wires on #1 cylinder to set timing. Simple and no $ spent.;-)

Right...because stock plug wires fit Chevy truck coils perfectly.

Edit// Sorry. That came off kind of douchey.

Anyhow, borrowed my neighbor's timing light and it has a slightly larger clamp. When I looked down, I noticed that the CAS hold-down bolt had made itself scarce. Timing was like 20* advanced. That'll 'splain it.

Last edited:

I forgot ya have the hipo coil set up . But wouldn't a stock chevy plug wire work?
Or quit being cheap & buy proper timing light.:lol:

He has MegaSquirt and individual coils for each plug Mike. Suspect the 'stock Chevy' wires are the problem.

Jared - before we chase this all over Charlotte - can you put a caliper on the wire and tell me the diameter? I'll measure the induction clamp and we'll see what we've got.

The opening in mine looks square but is a hair rectangular. 9.6mm x 8.9mm So apparently my "9mm" wires are about as big as can fit in mine.

Last edited:
Copied from the last page

Edit// Sorry. That came off kind of douchey.

Anyhow, borrowed my neighbor's timing light and it has a slightly larger clamp. When I looked down, I noticed that the CAS hold-down bolt had made itself scarce. Timing was like 20* advanced. That'll 'splain it.

Ya know the early style(also cheap styles) timing lights didn't have a induction clamp. Why not use that type? I have one. IIRC bought it at A/Z.

Back