• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project BPU! DD 945 turbo

aight so we did this thing on the dyno last night. it started off.. suspect, got set aside, and then came back around. All I really had time to do for preparation is get the software installed and plug in the ostrich-equipped lh box.. so.. fuel map fiddling was the name of the game. We did successfully get it to run 13:1 out the top (no lie it went from like.. 11:1 to 13:1 over one revision.. I'll get that fixed before I take off down the road, but most of that was above 5k, so meh). Didn't pick up a ton of power, but stock exhaust probably has something to do with that. If I think about it over the next few days I'll pop the downpipe loose and run it a couple times to see what's up (and stack fuel back in up top, 13:1 is a bit... saucey)

:) :)

I’m curious, but it’s very possible it’s not worth the time, would you be willing to bother with checking and tightening the valve clearances before the next runs? Maybe also popping an adjustable cam gear on there to try retarded 4 degrees from stock?

Heck I'm already doing that, Maxspeed rods at 20psi! :cool:

They were cheaper and quicker than getting the old rods re-bushed.
Hah, I did the same thing when my 16V motor broke a wristpin. Perhaps the least destructive wristpin breakage ever, but it did chew up the wristpin bushing. And it seemed easier and likely cheaper to just buy a new set of rods than have my machine shop try to do something custom (they pressed out the old one and were stumped on how to replace it otherwise).

I didn't like the looks of the bolts on the new rods, so I just used the ARP bolts of my previous rods.

I'd have to dig up a cam gear to do that. trying to shift the T cam up in the band?
Yes. Doing just the cam retard may not make much difference, but if your valve clearances are loose, I'd be curious how much it picks up between going tight and the retardation.

https://youtu.be/VC8EOlwi3MI

new video, somewhat amusing results. fattened it up a bit with the open dp (since it was lean and all), power went up a little bit. I'll have to go back and look at the numbers we got last weekend, since I don't recall off the top of my head.

Aight, brief segue on internal components:

https://youtu.be/GjyZWYS-ku0

TL,DW:
MaXpeeding rods sent me a set to review and test, complete with arp hardware. These are stock replacement h-beams (meaning: still piston steered, stock length), all in all a very nice offering at a good price point esp when you combine them with the various coupons they have. If you wanted the bigger/stronger rod bolts, they do offer an upgrade to L19 bolts, but the normal 3/8's have served me well over the years, so I don't have any qualms about them in this application.

I'll have a bigger writeup in showroom since it's more geared towards that, as I haven't yet tracked down an engine (and/or don't have it in hand) to setup and swap into the wagon. I suppose there's nothing stopping me from swapping them into the current engine except that it's already a bit 'loose' sounding, and that seems like a bit of a duplication of efforts there lol.

Anyway, link for the rods is below, there's also a coolguy coupon code that works site-wide. They do have other things (including cheap turbos)

Coupon: linuxman--8% off for all orders over 200USD
Rods link: https://bit.ly/3aDvdBh

/salespitch

That's about it for updates since the last video, been working on the dyno and that side of the shop, and I think everyone got their covid checks and wants to see numbers, as I've gotten a sudden influx in interest to dyno and/or get tuned. Good problem to have?

minor follow-up: tested a P&P ms on the car this past weekend (for the zoom session), the install portion took a generous ~hour (mostly me walking around the shop looking for various odds and ends. after that, it ran fairly easily with a few minor hiccups... but for some reason it just.... goes full lean at 4k in 2nd gear, despite the pw's being the same for the same load in 1st and 1st gear indicates almost too rich (it does it if I pull fuel out as well, so it doesn't appear to just be a case of fuel loading, though maybe...). pops out the intake and everything.

I did however get to play around with a couple different crank rpm pickup settings, so that's going to further the development of the p&p stuff, but currently I kinda have to think the issue is related to the car and not the system, however I will say that I can swap the tuned lh box and stock ezk and the car pulls out fine, so there is that. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it since saturday.. monday night I tried the old method of rpm triggering (with just an ezk connector and jumper wires), the car did seem to run better with that.

I'll try and get some video later of all the shenanigans, but in the mean time I gotta get the customer's box out the door.

alright.. drove the car occasionally this summer, it's been fine (no further mods though atm). Had to roll a p&p for another customer this week so I took the opportunity to build one for the car. Was planning on doing the install this evening and spending a bit more time documenting it, but.. it's hot outside and I just wasn't feeling it. I'll get out there and get it done in the next few days and try to troubleshoot the second gear fueling issue.

plan is to try and dial in the base map better, and then start rolling with mod testing.

Back