• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

KwikBrik245's Twin Turbo LS1 '88 744 REbuild: Damaged Goods

That is a pretty slick piece you bought. Do you have a pic of it mounted?
I am excited to see what numbers the car will make. The wall it was hitting was only getting bigger with boost. Obviously the lighter internals and balancing will help too.

I didn't mount it yet because it would be in the way of my heater core repair. I hate that job...

Tank Time

After too much procrastination I will be starting the sending unit upgrade/refresh.
New wiring for the Walbro 450 pump and sender. Picked up a stainless fuel strainer from AI North America. I'm not sure if I will see more fuel aeration vs the OEM style sock strainer, only one way to find out I guess.

Attachments

• 51resize.JPG
    51resize.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 469
Fuel Sender

Today I tore down my fuel sender as it hasn't worked in quite some time. I tested continuity from the connector down to the float assembly. Everything checked out.

Next I disassembled the float assembly and found a broken wire on one of the resistor rods that the float contacts slide along. The break is right at the bottom where the wire connects to the metal base. I am hoping I can either repair the break or at least find a replacement piece.

Attachments

• 52resize.JPG
    52resize.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 434
In Memoriam Ralph Reda

Yesterday I received news that Ralph, my good friend and the previous owner of this car took his life this past Friday. I spoke with him earlier that evening and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. We talked about my 740 build and his new Harley purchase. I have so much more to say but I can't find the words. He was my friend and in many ways my brother. This car had so much meaning before, and even more now.

Attachments

• 20150830_130353.jpg
    20150830_130353.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 427
  • RESIZE.jpg
    RESIZE.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 420
  • RESIZE2.jpg
    RESIZE2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 423
Thank you all for the love. I am in the garage as we speak wrenching on the car.
I just noticed that my avatar pic is from the weekend that I met Ralph at Skatopia. I burned my 850 (the car I am jumping across) after the owner towed me for a victory lap after pulling me out from being stuck. The car smashed on a few things so we burned it. When in Rome, right? Ralph was from the same area and happened to be there with a mutual friend. He gave my passengers and I a ride back to Cleveland and the rest is history.

Mountain Meet 2021 or bust!!!!!

Party Time!

After a few months of having smoke blown up my ass about position in the engine dyno line, I decided to just get my engine back and just run it. I was really hoping to get some numbers before the turbos go back on. Oh well, I'd rather be able to drive the car this year. :)

Attachments

• 53resize.JPG
    53resize.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 350
  • 54resize.JPG
    54resize.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 353
Turbo Oil Drain Solution(s)

Since I will be running a proper oil system for the turbos now I grabbed a ICT billet twin -10 turbo drain timing cover. I slapped on my F-body location alternator and sure enough the driver side drain fitting is blocked by the Alt. There are plenty of options for relocating but they either have truck spacing or will hit my exhaust. I figure my best/least expensive option is to grab the bracket shown below and ditching the belt driven power steering pump for an electric pump. The Alt. would now sit in the old PS pump location, and I could mound the electric unit somewhere nice.

This seems to be the best solution so that I wont have to change passenger side wastegate location, or any of the intake plumbing. Also I won't have to buy all the parts/pieces to convert to truck spacing.

If any of you have any other ideas feel free to share!

Attachments

• 56resize.JPG
    56resize.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 305
  • 57resize.JPG
    57resize.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 306
  • 55resize.png
    55resize.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 306
I'm using Corvette front end accessories, so there wasn't any room behind the pulley for drains. I ended up just using a surge tank, pump, and dumping it back into the valve cover using an oil cap with a fitting.

there's brackets to put the alt on the upper passenger side as well. then you can keep the power steering pump in the stock location.

I explored that option, but based on the measurements my passenger side wastegate off the header will be in the way.

I'm using Corvette front end accessories, so there wasn't any room behind the pulley for drains. I ended up just using a surge tank, pump, and dumping it back into the valve cover using an oil cap with a fitting.

I am running the F-body accessory spacing with the ICT twin drain timing cover. I have converted to an electric pump before on a former car and I wouldn't mind throwing the alternator in the P/S pump location and mounting a electric P/S pump in a remote location. That sounds like a sweet setup though.

Electric power steering pump

After doing a bit of research, the electric pump setup from a s40 looks to be the best option for me. The dimensions will work well to tuck behind the driver side headlight, they are pretty inexpensive, and Volvo! haha
Waiting on my clutch to get here so I can put the engine back in, and I will be ordering the alternator relocation kit shortly. I was pretty shocked to see how widely used the Volvo electric pumps are used in other cars.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct...Z2xJrlpvNVyWqxDHMf72cgEKkixJHEZRoCG0cQAvD_BwE

Yeah the s40 pump is pretty rad for a daily, you can also find them in the v50. I had my eyes on this one for a while as it has all the wiring connections:
https://focusautomotive.nl/onderdel...htiging+pomp/14018552-stuurbekrachtiging+pomp

I was considering it recently as a replacement for my PS pump looking at Speedflow fittings for the custom hose. You'll need either a 14mm or 16mm bump style fitting from what I could find, and running straight to AN adapter fittings from the rack was the cheapest option I could find in comparison to the AN banjo's. Some mustang guy did a great writeup here:
https://www.corral.net/threads/volvo-electric-power-steering-conversion-full-write-up.2499503/

I opted to stick with mechanical pumps, as most track/drift/autocross usage overheats the pump and damages it quickly as it will run in 80% duty cycle safe mode when connected without CAN-bus. The packaging should be great for a drag car though, and you can always grab a spare from the junkyard with the loom, as the volvo connectors are expensive/hard to find.

Back