• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

760 Lighting Bullet Connectors?

brickborg

So I was replacing the corner lenses and turn signals on my '85 760 and noticed this:

wiringtoast.jpeg

That's the positive for the corner light on my USDM car, if that helps.

Said fried wire is connected via this connector:

bulletconnector.jpg

Which fits in this housing:

lightconnector.jpg

I've been checking my usual Automotive wiring sources and can't find this type of insulated bullet terminal anywhere. All the ones I have on the shelf (and the ones I find for sale) don't have anything at the bottom to retain them in the connector housing.

Is this thing called something special and I'm just a dope? Better yet, anyone have a a source for these things?

The individual wires are available as is a repair kit with the insulator. You can save a little money if the insulator is reusable.

Dave Barton sells wires in several colors and sizes but they're a little different than the originals. His wires are 24" long.

https://www.prancingmoose.com/blackvinyl.html#pigtailfemale

Tasca's price on the repair wires is great but shipping may negate any real savings. Also, they're only available in one size and only white. They're 40" long.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-harness-3523813

I've got some aftermarket wires in several colors that look like the original wires but only in one size. The supplier has gone out of business so once they're gone, they're gone. They're not on the website so don't bother trying to find them. The wires are $6 each and I have them in black, white, yellow and brown. They're also 40" long.

Pigtail3523813.jpg

I didn't see anything on wagonmeister's site but I wouldn't be surprised if he has something.

Unless your car's wiring loom has been replaced with upgraded, there are probably many more disasters like that, needing your attention. 85 is well within the range of model years that Volvo used the Bosch biodegradable (soybean based?) wiring. Exacerbated by heat, oil, movement. So wiring running alongside or under the engine, where it enters the doors (flexing), etc. is weakened and ready to fall apart, if it hasn't already. Sometimes the insulation turns gooey, sometimes it crumbles and breaks off, sometimes it seems to just "evaporate." Prepare yourself for rebuilding more extensive portions of the wiring.

I have fixed couple 240 engine wirelooms. When you open that plastic tube, you will find some wires are all right, and some not. Maybe colour issue?

I just cut bad parts away, crimped new connetors and soldered that bullet style connector. I know some will disagree that soldering, but good thick shrink tube will minimise vibration.

The individual wires are available as is a repair kit with the insulator. You can save a little money if the insulator is reusable.

Dave Barton sells wires in several colors and sizes but they're a little different than the originals. His wires are 24" long.

https://www.prancingmoose.com/blackvinyl.html#pigtailfemale

Tasca's price on the repair wires is great but shipping may negate any real savings. Also, they're only available in one size and only white. They're 40" long.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-harness-3523813

I've got some aftermarket wires in several colors that look like the original wires but only in one size. The supplier has gone out of business so once they're gone, they're gone. They're not on the website so don't bother trying to find them. The wires are $6 each and I have them in black, white, yellow and brown. They're also 40" long.

Pigtail3523813.jpg

I didn't see anything on wagonmeister's site but I wouldn't be surprised if he has something.

In case no one has told you lately, you are fantastic and deserve some kind of award for services to brick-dom. The white one happens to be the one I need and my dealer says they can have one here by tomorrow, but as I'm expecting to do more wiring work in the future I'll definitely keep you in mind.

Unless your car's wiring loom has been replaced with upgraded, there are probably many more disasters like that, needing your attention. 85 is well within the range of model years that Volvo used the Bosch biodegradable (soybean based?) wiring. Exacerbated by heat, oil, movement. So wiring running alongside or under the engine, where it enters the doors (flexing), etc. is weakened and ready to fall apart, if it hasn't already. Sometimes the insulation turns gooey, sometimes it crumbles and breaks off, sometimes it seems to just "evaporate." Prepare yourself for rebuilding more extensive portions of the wiring.

I'm all too familiar unfortunately! One of the first tasks on my car was installing a Dave Barton engine harness for exactly the same reason. I've also replaced a few sections of the interior wiring harness as well- it's not hard luckily, but when you run across a connector you've never seen before you have to rely on your friends at Turbobricks to set you on the right path!

When I looked up these terminals I found something that mentioned they are the same as used on Honda motorcycles. No Honda motorcycle dealer in my area so I wasn't able to test the theory.

Probably doesn't help anyone on here but I've got a horn wiring repair kit from Skandix 2 years ago and the connectors look very similar, probably are the same?
1017144.jpg

Anyway, just came here to say +1 to this
In case no one has told you lately, you are fantastic and deserve some kind of award for services to brick-dom.

Probably doesn't help anyone on here but I've got a horn wiring repair kit from Skandix 2 years ago and the connectors look very similar, probably are the same?
1017144.jpg

Yeah, those are the same wires. They're just packaged with some crimp connectors and the sleeves that clip to the housing on the horn.

Other retailers package the same wires with different insulators. This one fits ECT senders, turn signals, speed sensors and probably others.

VOLVOHARNESSKIT.jpg

In case no one has told you lately, you are fantastic and deserve some kind of award for services to brick-dom.

Anyway, just came here to say +1 to this

Thanks for the kind words. I do what I can but I think there are others on the board that help out as much or more than I do.

You know years ago I ran into a retired Volvo dealer mechanic at the Chula yards and he said all that crummy wiring came from one factory in Portugal

It looks so bad even for an '85 760. I got one for restoration a couple of years ago. I think Dave Burton made his fortune off on our order alone, haha. We bought a huge number of items from his assortment. Everything in that car had to be changed. I don't know what the previous owner did with it, but the electrical wiring was begging for death. We decided to take our time and spent two months replacing all damaged parts. But now it runs like new. We decided to present this to the future owner as a bonus https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/.

Last edited:
I had this all over my 760 turbo from 86. swapped the entire carloom for a 1990 740 loom and be done with it.
Plus i could do motronic to LH with that

Back