• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil pan gasket, wet or dry?

nitroboie

Install it wet (RTV) or dry? If wet, red or black?

Also, props to the shipping department at FCP. Seriously, who crams a gasket into a box that's too small? And it's not like they couldn't of flattened a box and shipped it as the only other thing in the box were oil transfer pump seals. :grrr:

img0884h.jpg

FCP should ship you a new one priority on their dime IMO. They are on the boards here, but I'd call them first.

RTV is a great way to ruin an engine. I don't allow the junk on the property. If you think you need the goop, something is wrong with your gasket.

rtv grey on both sides, haven't had a pan leak with that combo yet. you can fix the tear with masking tape on both sides.

i like the ultra grey......i would stay away from the red but in the high heat places. reason is....red looks like you cobbled it together after is ooses out. so use black on the pan or the grey and you will have a factory look that does not stand out.
im running a crank scraper and there is no gasket. process is....block pan rails.....black rtv.....scraper.....black rtv......pan. about a 1/4 bead. no leaks in like 700 miles.
just make sure all the bolts are tight.

UPDATE:

I called FCP this morning and explained the situation to the CSR (Ellison). He told me to email him a picture of the damage and box and he'll take care of it. No later than two minutes I had an email about a new order. He placed an order to send me another on their dime, with a note to packer in the comments:

"PLEASE PACKAGE CAREFULLY. LAST ONE CAME RIPPED FROM TO SMALL OF PACKAGING. "
:rofl: :rofl:

However, I called him back explaining that I needed it today and that I was going to go to a local store to pick one up. He said no problem and he'll take care of it. He voided the order and refunded the money for the gasket.

The gasket:
I installed the gasket dry using brake cleaner then tightened the bolts in a spiral pattern in about 4 rounds. I remember how hard of a time I had peeling off the RTV that was on there before hand. No leaks.

Oil Pressure Results:
Before with 15w-50:
Cold Idle: ~2.0 bar
Hot Idle: ~0.5 bar (light was no longer a 'flicker' but ON)
Crusing: ~ 3.1 bar

After with 10w-30:
Cold Idle: ~4.0 bar
Hot Idle: ~2.5 bar
Cruising: ~4.3 bar

So yeah... pretty drastic results... I should of done the job a lot sooner.

Last edited:
Did you augment the bulge in the tube to help keep them in place? I always add a ring of JB weld to be sure they stay in - had two sets of brand new ones fail in under 500 miles, did not want to drop the oilpan a FOURTH time.

Yes sir I did. A washer with the ID of the OD of the pipe would probably be a lot easier/cleaner though. If I had thought about it while it was apart I would of measured it.

Back