• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rebuilt head 10k miles ago, valve adjustment?

Dave you can do it :nod:
Valve%20Shim%20Adjustments%20March%203%2C%202016.jpg

IPD sells the shims for $3.69 each. Just measure the clearances and the shims that are currently in place. If any are out of spec, order the correct shim to get the clearance within spec. It doesn't have to be exactly the same on all 8. IOW, don't overthink it. Just get the clearance to fall within the acceptable range for each valve.

IPD sells the shims for $3.69 each. Just measure the clearances and the shims that are currently in place. If any are out of spec, order the correct shim to get the clearance within spec. It doesn't have to be exactly the same on all 8. IOW, don't overthink it. Just get the clearance to fall within the acceptable range for each valve.

IPD isn't stocking all the sizes Volvo used to sell and they're out of stock on a few of sizes they do sell. Of the 25 sizes available from Volvo IPD only has 21 listed on their site and currently 6 of those are out of stock.

The kit I assembled has 34 sizes, 3.25mm-4.9mm. One smaller and 8 larger than the standard kit. I can also special order shims from 2.55mm to 5.2mm thick.

What's reasonable guidance for a machine shop "tipping the valves" versus changing shims? Is up to ~8 thou (2 shim sizes) OK?

That's fine. I've worked on some heads that needed 1mm removed from them since they had been rebuilt so many times. No issues with valve tip wear, you just need to check the spring pressure since the installed height is way different.

The last thing, I don't have a Dremel but I'm going to buy one to clean the surfaces. What material is best on the Dremel for cleaning the valve cover and the head? I don't want to damage anything.

What material is best ........................for cleaning the valve cover and the head? I don't want to damage anything.
We use the generic green pot scrubber pads. Cheaper and gentler than the official "Scotchbrite" pads. Keep it wet with our bulk Brake Cleaner, and wipe often with a cleanish towel to keep any abrasive residue out of the engine.

Power tools on aluminum heads tend to make thing un-flat and leaky. :nono:

ecc2affd1748a868962c9b19a8551af7.jpg

XBC20.jpg

FBS-50100_MED.jpg

b4188d56590eb3eaa574a342f78551e1.jpg

Ok, so here my measurements. The first lines are my measurement with the stock cam still installed, then on the bottom are the measurement after installing the IPD turbo cam. It seems like all clearances increased a little bit. The only changes I made between measurements was swapping the shims on exhaust valves 2 and 4. Ignore that the paper says all measurements in mm. at the top and the grease all over the page.

I have read multiple sources that each list a different specified clearance so I want to make one more post here to get a final answer on correct valve clearance. Volvoclub.org says .3 to .4mm or .011 inches to .015 inches for a cold engine. The online Haynes manual says .014-.016. I've seen glesstr say .014-.018 in a previous thread as well. What is a final consensus? I'm currently leaning toward buying 6 3.80 shims and installing them on all valves other than cylinder 3 valves which are currently .016 which I believe should be fine as is. Maybe not, please lmk lol.
IMG-2171.jpg

When I am adjusting I aim for .015". The allowable range is wider when checking. It is something like .013" to .018" as the range of allowable clearances. Personally, I like to get the lash no larger than .016" all on a cold engine.

Back