• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 240 upgrades compared to previous years

holdenjp

Did the 93 240 have any optional parts that were made standard compared to previous years? I'm thinking things like sway bars, wheels, interior parts, heated mirrors, etc...?

Update: Sway bars weren't bigger. Car did have power heated mirrors and the cup holder armrest, but I think the armrest was probably an option not standard.

Didn't have time to check the rear diff. Hopefully I'll be able to check it next week.

Last edited:
The driver side dash underside/knee panel is different in the last few years, not sure when it changed. Seems nicer than the sheet of felt that is used on earlier cars, although I have never seen one of those panels in person.

AFAIK 92-93 was the only year(s) with heated+power mirrors.

Speaker grills for 5.25" speakers. Dash without center speaker grille.

That "Knee Bolster" as Volvo calls it is a added safety feature, and will help protect the drivers knees and lower legs in a head on collision. It's a good feature, and is very easy to remove and re-install if you need to get access under the dash.

(I think) rounded timing gears/belt and squirter blocks.

The automatics got a weird, generic-looking plastic shifter gate.

They dropped the matte black thing on the grills, door handles, and tailgate hinges.

The most significant improvement for 93 only was the A/C evaporator/heater box, and condenser, much better. Also the 93 was the only year the rear diff came with the G80 locker differential, same as 940/960, but was an option. The knee bolster came in 91, my car has one. From 91-up front sway was 21 mm, and also heavier front springs 13.8mm wire, ABS.

The most significant improvement for 93 only was the A/C evaporator/heater box, and condenser, much better. Also the 93 was the only year the rear diff came with the G80 locker differential, same as 940/960, but was an option. The knee bolster came in 91, my car has one. From 91-up front sway was 21 mm, and also heavier front springs 13.8mm wire, ABS.

'93's use the same evaporator as the '91 and '92 models. The rest of the system is different however. Not different in function, but different parts so that there isn't any interchangeability save for the compressor perhaps from a '93 and a '92 or '91.

I've never seen a 240 with a factory-installed G80. Not to say they weren't made of course, but they are extremely uncommon if they exist at all.

(I think) rounded timing gears/belt and squirter blocks.

The automatics got a weird, generic-looking plastic shifter gate.

They dropped the matte black thing on the grills, door handles, and tailgate hinges.

All of this is accurate except the '93's have matte door handles and tailgate hinges.

The most significant change IMHO is the change to R-134a for the a/c.

Wagons got tweeters in the rear doors.

I've read that power heated mirrors became standard. All of the 4 '93's that I own have them.

I've never seen a 240 with a factory-installed G80. Not to say they weren't made of course, but they are extremely uncommon if they exist at all.

Did they actually come factory installed, or only as a dealer option? My 244 has a dealer installed 'locking differential' g80.

Did they actually come factory installed, or only as a dealer option? My 244 has a dealer installed 'locking differential' g80.

I've never seen a G80 that was factory or dealer installed. That's not to say that there weren't ones made it's just that I've never seen them.

Last edited:
Factory ones would be marked with the rear end info. I think it's a tag on the driver side (left) axle tube?

Dunno if dealer-installed would have any visible markings on the outside.

I don't think mine looked any different from the outside than my open diff car. The tag said 1041 instead of 1031 though I think. Both 3.31:1

The battery cables on '93s are different, I think they changed the positive and negative side to avoid shorts in a wreck.

I think they could be either dealer or factory. My 91 has a factory 1031 with a Dana 30, but only 93 is different. The whole rear axle and bearings are different also, same as a 940.

I think they could be either dealer or factory. My 91 has a factory 1031 with a Dana 30, but only 93 is different. The whole rear axle and bearings are different also, same as a 940.

What axle do the 940s have? One of my 240s says 1030 (or 1031?) and the other says 1040 (or 1041?). What's the difference aside from the 1040/1 having the g80.

Back