• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help! 140/122 wagon dimensions

sspony

So I'm planning to make a rather long trip to pick up two new projects. A 66' 122 wagon and a 70' 145 wagon. I have access to a 22' tilt deck trailer and from what I've gathered it's going to be very close dimensionally to load both cars onto it. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with the dimensions shown in the sketch below. It's close enough that I can't count on Google for this one haha

Many thanks in advance!

I appreciate the info guys! That's half the puzzle. Now I just need to know the front and rear overhangs for each car. Overall length and wheelbase are published but I don't believe those other dimensions are.

I've got a tape measure and a 66 wagon. I'll get some numbers for you today. Unless my plans change.

Last edited:
Ok I see I forgot to measure between the wheels.

Overall 176" (14' 8") between the bumper horns.
26" center front wheel to bumper horns.
47" center rear wheel to bumper horns.

All measurements taken with a 10 year old girl holding one end of the tape ! But I think she did pretty well. :)

I believe the wheel base is the same on all the 122s so that should be online. My plans just changed with the arrival of house guests. Had a feeling but no official confirmation.

Great information! Thanks for taking a few minutes to check. Much appreciated!

Now I just need the 145.

Well the 145 I'm looking at is missing it's front bumper so idk haha. So no on the front, yes on the back?

My '70 145:

29"+/- front overhang including bumper. 3" less without bumper;
49"+/- rear overhang including bumper.

Last edited:
Well it looks like the only way to get them both on is to put the rear tires of the 122 up on the front rail of the trailer. This is a rough model. Only critical dimensions are correct. So the car bodies aren't even close. The hitch is not modeled either. However, I will likely use an extension to keep the car back away from the tailgate.

How long is this "rather long trip'?
Maybe it would be better to get a bigger (properly sized) trailer.

I avoid trailering things that are iffy. In your case, iffy appears to be close to falling off.
It's just too stressful - on my brain, not the trailer.

Weight distribution could be an issue with a bumper pull. You want to keep the weight to the front of the trailer otherwise they get real squirrely. Going down hills they can start dancing around on you.
More than one old car went from project to scrap iron that way.

Just be real careful !

Fortunately this is a rather light load. Only 5k-ish or so. The trailer is typically used for equipment and such. 10-12k rated.

However I do share your concerns and the name of the game would air down the tires and use Tie-downs and chain-binders. Lots of em. Tight. Haha

Also it's about 6 hrs each way.

Back