• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

U joint pain and misery.

spock345

I am right now working on replacing the u joints on my amazon. I found the rearmost joint was rather crunchy (no grease fitting) and I've already done the front most joint. So I decided it was time to do the two in the rear half of the shaft.

I ran into some trouble. I bought some moog 341 joints, which should fit but I wasn't able to get the clip into the grooves on both sides. I decided to compare them to the GMB joint I had lying around (came missing grease nipple and clips, so it sat in the parts bin). It would appear that the moog joints are a bit too long along both axes to fit quite right. A bit less than a millimeter. How should I proceed? Go find another u joint and grab a grease nipple for the GMB? Be very careful with some sandpaper on the caps of the moog joints? Give up and day drink?

I'd like to get the car out of the garage so I can do the brakes on my VW.

Did you clean out the yokes? A cross buff on a dremel tool does wonders.

Yep, cleaned them up. I was doing some measuring and noticed one ear on the differential side is slightly bent. About half a millimeter.

The moog joint fit in the center location on the shaft. So two down, one to go.

Yep, cleaned them up. I was doing some measuring and noticed one ear on the differential side is slightly bent. About half a millimeter.
That can happen when someone used caveman method to R/R the u-joints (not saying that it was you that did that).

Can you mix and match the moog and GMB to make something useable?

I did all 3 on my Amazon with SKF UJ341BL U-Joint that I can only assume should be the exact same.

How's the center support bearing, while you are in there...

Last edited:
So it didn't seem to be the U joint's issue. It was the mounting flange, the ears were bent. Luckily I had another hiding in a parts bin.

The center bearing was good.

Back