• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Help with underwood light (Need photo)

Johnnya101

I have a 1991 245 that has the factory hood and factory mercury hood light, however there is no wire going to it. I am quite puzzled. There is no green wire floating around the engine either. Would anyone with a late 240 be able to post photos or at least describe where the wire starts so I can see where it is or where it was cut?

Side question: what is this red wire for? It is very short.

s3Yt5rW.jpg

I have a 1991 245 that has the factory hood and factory mercury hood light, however there is no wire going to it. I am quite puzzled. There is no green wire floating around the engine either. Would anyone with a late 240 be able to post photos or at least describe where the wire starts so I can see where it is or where it was cut?

Side question: what is this red wire for? It is very short.

s3Yt5rW.jpg

The red wire is a jumper location to trigger your starter motor for diagnostic purposes,

Plug in a wire and tap to +12v on the battery and itll kick over the motor, ignition on the car will start

Good luck with your light

Would anyone with a late 240 be able to post photos or at least describe where the wire starts so I can see where it is or where it was cut?
A quick Google search shows the wire's protective sleeve sneaking out of the hood,
and being strapped to the left hinge. It then hides behind the left shock tower.
Where it goes from there is a mystery that has stumped scholars and "experts" for thousands of years.

240-hoody.jpg

The red wire is a jumper location to trigger your starter motor for diagnostic purposes,

Plug in a wire and tap to +12v on the battery and itll kick over the motor, ignition on the car will start

Good luck with your light

The starter test lead wire is either blue (early) or pink (late). The red thing is a sleeve on the wire with the part number for the harness.

On pre '90 models the wire for the under hood light breaks out of the harness near the brake booster. The light was eliminated '91- according the the parts catalog. There is no wire in the harness for the light. I checked a '91 244 and it's not there.

All you need to do is run a wire to the fuse box and connect it to fuse 8.

On pre '90 models the wire for the under hood light breaks out of the harness near the brake booster. The light was eliminated '91- according the the parts catalog. There is no wire in the harness for the light. I checked a '91 244 and it's not there.

All you need to do is run a wire to the fuse box and connect it to fuse 8.

Very helpful, thank you! Strange there is a light that clearly was used, yet no wire! Did the 240 you check have the light yet no wire?

Such a small detail, just bugs me though.

Positive. No accidents, hood paint matches wear pattern on the rest of the body, no marks on hinges or bolts.

I see what happened now. Looking at ebay photos, 1991 on they left out the light and wire, however they kept the rectangular cutout and screw hole. Someone threw a light in and didn't know they never had it factory. Figured they would at least remove the rectangle cutout or put a plate there.

hyperfauto, thank you for the info regarding wire location.

Back