• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Homer's 1990 240 redblock exorcism

Life has been in the way a bit recently.
Anyway, looked at the 2 year old starter i pulled off the 240 and the S70 one I had laying around. Noticed they are both 108 series bosch starters. Hmm the S70 one needed new brushes.
Well the 240 starter brush assembly is the same as the S70 one, as is the outer casing and the end cap. Freebie rebuild. Woot.
photo-29.JPG

You know I just had my S70 starter apart to replace that braided cable that goes from case to solenoid, and I was wondering how similar it was to a 240 starter. Good to know!

That braided cable is a tad shorter, but bend the tab on the end and it fits fine.

Engine out, oil pan on, trans on and back in.
The ribs on the pickup tube bump need a little trimming, otherwise the 2x4 plus chain whip clearance seems to be good with me :D
Depending on weather, i'll get the trans crossmember modified tues or wed.
DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Wow that's quite an arc in the swaybar! No problem with the power steering rack being there? I seem to remember Karl complaining something about that, maybe it was that the oil filter doesn't clear?

Wow that's quite an arc in the swaybar! No problem with the power steering rack being there? I seem to remember Karl complaining something about that, maybe it was that the oil filter doesn't clear?
Yeah I think it got a little damaged at some point, no worries. Still works.
You can see the ribs in the oil pickup bump that would create issues with the PS rack. I just need to grind those down a bit.
I've got a right angle filter adapter off a 960 so there won't be any clearance issues.
Just a V6 sway bar?
Yah
only one that clears the whiteblock irrc

Mhm

Engine mount mockup. So these are yanked from a swede that did a 6cyl swap. They'll need some redesigning for my application but are good for hardpoints. They will be bolt in though. Only another hole through the x-member is needed. (as well as an insert spanning the x-member)
DSC_0024.jpg

Trans x-member is 90% done. I need to lengthen the holes without the rubber isolators. I moved the x-member up 2 sets of holes in the frame rails.
0--x--x---0---*---*

0--x--x---0---*---*

x is new location, * is stock m47 location. (Left being the front of the car) Notice the spacing is slightly different. About a bolt width closer.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

And with a large torqueing of the engine(almost an inch in engine mount compression/extension) the trans doesn't contact the tunnel.

Last edited:
Back