• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

Am I the only one that is running the 940/960 fan on the earlier rad setup? I have that + NPR and have about 1/2" of clearance between the back of the fan motor and water pump pulley. (granted it's not much room but as long as your fan & shroud are secure it's not going anywhere)

i dont have the three row radiator (stock nissens) and the 960 fans dont fit in my car. can you show me a picture of how everything sits in your car?

I can fit a 940 efan, npr, and nissens 3 row.

Then again I have a 240...

edit: just got a NIB 87/92 sensor at a garage sale for free, fits the saab threads!

Last edited:
i dont have the three row radiator (stock nissens) and the 960 fans dont fit in my car. can you show me a picture of how everything sits in your car?

On a 7xx I initially did it like this:

I just cut the 92+ shroud down and riveted it back to fit the radiator.

When that didn't work, I just took the fan out of that stock shroud and mounted it within the stock mechanical shroud.

Been that way for 4 years, works quite well. (click to enlarge)

780_project008-1.jpg

Am I the only one that is running the 940/960 fan on the earlier rad setup? I have that + NPR and have about 1/2" of clearance between the back of the fan motor and water pump pulley. (granted it's not much room but as long as your fan & shroud are secure it's not going anywhere)

Same here. No issues.

and thats basically how i mounted my flexalite lowboy 16" ...in the stock mechanical fan shroud. looks nice and clean...and its rock solid.

I have a nissens 3 core radiator with a thermostat built into it. Now the thing is it is a 1 speed plug while my 940 fan has 2 speeds. I was wondering if you guys ever put in a thermostat with 2 speeds, I pulled one from an Audi, but I couldn't find a 3 core rad like mine in the JY to test fit it.

Just set up the high speed fan and be done with it.

Low speed fan was used with a/c to prevent the radiator gets too cool.

I did, it just draws a lot of power, then shuts off. If I could hook up both, then the engine would run cooler.

Upgrade to 100amp alternator if you haven't.

You don't want to fan to run constantly, unless you have working a/c. It's more efficient for it to turn on when it needs and turn off when it doesn't.

Just set up the high speed fan and be done with it.

Low speed fan was used with a/c to prevent the radiator gets too cool.

It is the opposite. Not any of the 700/900/850 cars have the high speed set up to cool the engine under normal conditions, only for excessive over temp conditions.

Low speed for normal engine cooling from the temp switch (or CTS thru the ECU) and high speed from the a/c pressure switch and/or over/excessive temp sensor in the radiator (wired in parallel)

Having the high speed cycle for normal cooling will run large spikes of current going on/off all the time. The 2-stage power control fan relay is designed to reduce start current going from low to high, not from not on to hi speed. It will wreak havoc on your charging system if you wire it this way, as will not using switched power to the relay so the fan has run-on when the car is off.

This:
The downside to running straight high speed over using the low speed first is that it puts a pretty good strain on the wiring/relay/fuse when it goes from being off to high speed. It may not be a big deal, but still.
I don't live in a hot climate, but all new Volvos come only with e-fans that are NOT on all the time. If you use the A/C, the fans will typically run, but not even all the time, still.

I've had my 245 set up this way for 7 yrs and 140k miles works flawlessly, and that is for 100+ deg Texas & NM summer heat.

I dunno if I should just run a ground to a switch in the dash for a low speed or try to screw in the 2 speed audi temp switch, I just have no idea if it will fit.

Anyway I did do an interesting conversion that required no drilling on the fan.

I used a set of straight sliding brackets, I modified 4 of them to fit which were about 1 3/4 inches long.

I rotated the fan, which had 5 holes, to where the two open and two closed holes were parallel to each other left to right. I took four washers, four lock washers, bolts and nuts and used those to mount the fan to the brackets.

I then drilled into the fan shroud, at the four end points, and ran nuts and bolts through them to the brackets, using four washers, lock washers as well.

I made sure to center the fan in the shroud, since they were sliding brackets, tightening them down.

From there I taped off the gap between the fan and the shroud, filling in the cracks with housing insulation.

And then I was done, mounted up the whole thing and hooked it up to the relay.

579969_504469126234433_1398370401_n.jpg

523067_504469112901101_1686699190_n.jpg

Back