• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92' 245DL Crazy Taxi Lemons racer

pat244ti

Not one to hesitate on impulse, after seeing Scotty D's firesale a few weeks back I decided to jump onto the opportunity to buy his Lemons racer. Scotty has actually raced my 244 before but I was pretty unfamiliar with his car.

The two motivations behind this purchase were to take a step back from doing racing myself and to build a neat, easy to drive car. I plan on using the car to rent out to my friends who have not raced before, as well as a lot of my circle track friends who have not raced road course stuff.

The other was to unleash the mechanical creativity that Lemons is known for as well as execute an awesome theme.

I picked the car up at the final western meet on Saturday and trailered it back to Santa Cruz. I unloaded the car and all the goodies it came with [there were lots, way more than expected! Thank you Scotty!!] and went to bed.

Even with work I've been spending the past few nights cleaning it up [scraping what felt like 100+ decals off] and looking at in general what my plan of attack will be.

Front suspension has #700 springs. I am thinking of bringing it down to #500 or #600. I run #500 in the 244 and like it, might try #600 but #700 is a lot. Also the front dampers are kyb inserts. I was going to get a set of DeCarbons revalved for whatever springrate I end up with. I am going to refresh a few suspension parts, and also box both the control and trailing arms.

Car came with x6 vette wheels with Dunlop Direzzas. I was going to swap the fresh unused backups on the front and use the fronts as the backups. RX7 brakes up front, seems to work well - I do however have to adjust the brake cooling duct setup to work a little better. Currently there is a stock airdam on the car but I was going to toss a 93' 850 unit on.

\

The interior needs some sanitizing. The tar paper was never removed from the floor so I will removed everything and finish that job. I also am not a fan of rust everywhere [it's crapcan racing, but I don't like getting a brown streak on my clothes every time I touch the cage] so I will get everything nice and painted. The wiring cleanup job was okay but I hate the stock 240 ceramic fuse setup and will probably swap it out to blade fuse block. I will do some work on all that.

One idea I am tossing in my head right now is since I am putting a tail panel on the car as part of the theme, I don't want it to act as a wicker bill inside the car and cause an aero disturbance. I also want to experiment with installing a large fuel cell in the car. So I am going to build a giant cover, mostly out of used, flat aluminum side panels from my friends dirt modified race car - that goes over the backseat and cargo areas and sits flat with the bottom of the windows. There will be access doors for the battery as well as for where I will mount the home brewed swirlpot to go with the cell. The fill for the fuel cell will be up high, about a foot behind the C-Pillar

The current engine will stay for the first few events while I let everyone get their feet wet. B230F with a K-Cam and high rev springs. It will stay LH 3.1/EZK. The M47 has a bad 3rd gear, Scotty gave me a spare but after being informed by Erik [Cosbysweater] it came out of his Hilux I might think it would be in my best interest to find another one and use his as the spare

I got notice recently that my 760 is due for smog again [I bought the car last year and smogged it on transfer....] so that might mean the end of the road for the chassis. But it has a sweet ass B23FT that is begging to go into a race car and this might be it's eventual destination. At that time a T5 will be mandatory.

The exhaust is getting cut off tomorrow. It will be a regular low side exit. Less weight and my clumsy ass would probably walk into that thing while it is hot.

If you are ever free come on down to Santa Cruz and help out for a bit and I'll trade you for seat time at an event.

Open offer for anyone. I want to try and actually run for a good finish at the next race with the 244 so I will only run 3 drivers. But if I enter this car, I can have 6 on that team and use my 3 empty spots from the 244 to sign people up.

Last edited:
There was a ChumpCar race at Thunderhill last weekend. I was there Saturday with Hackster doing the Optima Ultimate Street car thing. The turnout was terrible for ChumpCar. Looked like 20 cars max.

Last edited:
People are starting to catch on to what a giant ******* John Condren (the guy why runs Chump) is. Things like claiming to donate xx amount of money to charity when in reality 5% went to charity and the rest went in his pocket. I was under the impression last year was supposed to be the last year of it but its still going to my surprise.

Fields for Lucky Dog (started by an ex Chumpcar employee) are growing.

Lemons races anywhere in CA will always be 100+

I may be interested in the 700# springs if you decide to sell them. I currently have 500# on my v8 242 autocross car. Might want the option of going stiffer.

Front suspension has #700 springs. I am thinking of bringing it down to #500 or #600. I run #500 in the 244 and like it, might try #600 but #700 is a lot.

Yep...This is with the 500# springs and Koni race set at stiffest setting.

A6C86ABF-46FD-4C86-B985-CAC451747508_zpstluboekq.png

I will let you know. #700 seems more appropriate for something nose heavy

I will let you know. #700 seems more appropriate for something nose heavy

It's got Simons EZK chips, not sure about the fuel side

I think it's also got fuel chips but it kinda doesn't matter because every time you flip the handle on the left, it kills ECU power and it has to relearn. We were gonna hook up a constant 12v to the ECU so that wouldn't happen but it didn't happen.

I think it's also got fuel chips but it kinda doesn't matter because every time you flip the handle on the left, it kills ECU power and it has to relearn. We were gonna hook up a constant 12v to the ECU so that wouldn't happen but it didn't happen.

Thank you for the reminder, I'll keep that in mind when I start cleaning up the wiring.

In other news, started removing more interior to get it ready for cleaning/paint. Removed the giant fire extinguisher & bracket, set it on the roof. Continued working on car.

Climb out of car 10 minutes later, set hands on the roof to get my feet planted on the ground. The roof flexed, the fire extinguisher rolled, and landed 4 feet down right on my big toe. Chose to wear my skate shoes since they bend and flex more while I'm moving about in the car. Wishing right now I had my steel toes on. Looks like no car work, or standing up this weekend.

In other news, started removing more interior to get it ready for cleaning/paint. Removed the giant fire extinguisher & bracket, set it on the roof. Continued working on car.

Climb out of car 10 minutes later, set hands on the roof to get my feet planted on the ground. The roof flexed, the fire extinguisher rolled, and landed 4 feet down right on my big toe. Chose to wear my skate shoes since they bend and flex more while I'm moving about in the car. Wishing right now I had my steel toes on. Looks like no car work, or standing up this weekend.

Ouch! Better get used to always wearing those steel toed shoes for the new few months till it heals :-(

Quick update - not really on the car though.

Foot is healing but since the car is stored outside and El Nino has been pounding us lately, I have not been able to work on it.

So the past two weekends I've started converting a space at my folks house [where I store the car] into a small workshop so I can keep all my parts, tools, and stuff under a ceiling with a paved ground and some sense of organization. Before, I had everything stored in a crawlspace [relative term - ceiling was about 6' and I am 6'5] elsewhere that had a dirt floor and was on an incline [so the roof kept getting lower and lower....]

Needless to say it was getting really ****ing old going in and out of that space to grab tools, parts, etc and it was EXTREMELY hard to keep everything organized that way. I have 13+ years of crap I've somehow accumulated between dozens and dozens of Volvos and a few other cars.

Before I cleared it out, the room was filled literally to the ceiling with old furniture and boxes of random stuff. So I went to town wrapping up all the furniture in plastic, and moving it to the attic [a lot of work] last weekend.

Each night after work from 10am-10pm I tore into boxes and boxes of parts, organized them all and even went full OCD and dumped a 20 gallon cooler of miscellenous hardware to get it all organized [which took up a solid chunk of time]

I (almost) finished organizing everything and moved my giant workbench over yesterday, also installed some lighting, shelving and some pegboard behind the workbench to assist with organizing and, well, keeping the workbench clutter down.

Next step is schlepping the two engines I have on stands down there so I can finish them, as well as the parts washer, drill press and a few other things.

Back