• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kaplhenke Adjustable Strut Mounts

Djw21a

Anyone using Kaplhenke Racing's Adjustable strut mounts on a 940? If so could you inform me of your setup and the reason you chose to it?

Reason I ask is because I myself am trying to plan where to take my suspension system next. Presently all mine is is lowered with IPD's springs an several of their braces. I'm trying to determine what will best suit me later on versus what suits me fine presently.

Thanks everyone
DJ

What struts are you running currently?

I ran them for about a year on my 945t, which I was autocrossing at the time. You will want/need to switch to coilover 2.5" springs so that you can actually adjust camber past what is allowable with factory pieces. 10" 300# springs netted me a ride height about the same as stock (this was without threaded strut tube adjusters). You may/could run softer or shorter springs which would give you a lower ride height. I would not go much lower than ~225#, but your overall goals will determine where you should end up.

A 940 with good springs/shocks and negative camber is a beautiful thing on curvy roads.

On the other hand, if you don't want to switch springs and don't actually need the adjustment, a set of new OE strut mounts treated to the cambermod is a pretty good middle of the road upgrade. It leaves you with about 1.0-1.2 negative, depending on how low you are, which is still way better than stock.

Ya, I have to agree with this. Are you taking tire temps? What makes you think you need more or less camber or caster?

In all honesty I don't. I've been wondering if or how those settings could help at the track but other than that I was curiousity compelled me to ask as you obviously see by now lol.

How about you tell us what you're trying to accomplish with the car.

Presently, nothing except routine maintance however their is the hope and dream of making it an extreme powerhouse one day in which case suspension detail would be a vital component right?

Presently all thats been modified/added on my 944 is the IPD upper and lower Chassis brace kit, IPD adjustable panhard rod, IPD sport lowering springs, IPD front bushing kit w/ Poly strut rod stay bushing and some Bilstein HD shocks on the rear. Other than that nothing if I take off the belly pan I already busted to hell an need to replace.

I suppose I should have made this thread more about coilovers since thats what I debating on switching to rather than staying with the standard coil and spring setup.

I ran them for about a year on my 945t, which I was autocrossing at the time. You will want/need to switch to coilover 2.5" springs so that you can actually adjust camber past what is allowable with factory pieces. 10" 300# springs netted me a ride height about the same as stock (this was without threaded strut tube adjusters). You may/could run softer or shorter springs which would give you a lower ride height. I would not go much lower than ~225#, but your overall goals will determine where you should end up.

A 940 with good springs/shocks and negative camber is a beautiful thing on curvy roads.

On the other hand, if you don't want to switch springs and don't actually need the adjustment, a set of new OE strut mounts treated to the cambermod is a pretty good middle of the road upgrade. It leaves you with about 1.0-1.2 negative, depending on how low you are, which is still way better than stock.

What do you mean when you say "Cambermod"? Am I correct in assuming this helps in reducing the camber gained via lowering your ride height or is it due to some other reason?

Presently, nothing except routine maintance however their is the hope and dream of making it an extreme powerhouse one day in which case suspension detail would be a vital component right?

Presently all thats been modified/added on my 944 is the IPD upper and lower Chassis brace kit, IPD adjustable panhard rod, IPD sport lowering springs, IPD front bushing kit w/ Poly strut rod stay bushing and some Bilstein HD shocks on the rear. Other than that nothing if I take off the belly pan I already busted to hell an need to replace.

I suppose I should have made this thread more about coilovers since thats what I debating on switching to rather than staying with the standard coil and spring setup.

What's a powerhouse? Straightline or fast on a real track?

What's a powerhouse? Straightline or fast on a real track?

Already have a hit list consisting of the basic engine internals i'll be needing to acquire which consists of a stroker kit from RSI for use with a 16valve head(which I have already). Presently, powerhouse to me is that. If you ask whether or not i'll be on a drag strip or track presently I can't give you a straight answer because I feel i'm i've been concentrating on mainly the things i'll need to get to that point where I can consider such things.

I would worry about the engine build first then. Not to detract from Ben making money but it sounds like you need to figure out what you want to do first.

In all honesty I don't. I've been wondering if or how those settings could help at the track but other than that I was curiousity compelled me to ask as you obviously see by now lol.

If you are going to go to a track having a solid spherical bearing adjustable strut mount will help a few things. First it tightens up the front end by removing the deflection in the factory strut mount bushings (yes the strut mount has a spring rate)

Second, if you use them to dial in a good front end alignment you will get much better grip out of the front tires. This also will also reduce tire wear, tires that wear evenly will save you money in the long run.

Every strut based front suspension benefits from negative camber, to optimize you will need more then what you can dial in on stock components

Third, it keeps you from having to buy a new strut mounts every couple of years when the factory units wear out. If the spherical bearings ever wear out on these its a 80 dollars for a pair of new bearings.

Last edited:
I'll agree to that 100%. I've yet to have my 960 above 90 mph. It scares the hell out of me at the moment above that quite frankly.

Uncle of mine used to hot rod around town(orlando fl) when he was my age(now he's 61ish) with a Ford Galaxy cranking out about 400+hp. Putting it back into second while going 45 in a 45mph zone and coming out at about 100+mph.

I've got that craziness in me. When I get going I want more, 70mph, why not do 80 or even 100? That's the way I think about it, unfortunately I have to rein myself in all the time.

i may asked this anywhere before... but do these mounts work with koni yellow dampers?

/edit

for factory style springs...?

and therefore i just gave an answer to myself :(

Last edited:
I would worry about the engine build first then. Not to detract from Ben making money but it sounds like you need to figure out what you want to do first.

In all honesty i'm going to continue with the suspension improvements/modifications because by the time I get to the engine I want to have the suspension their to back the sucker up.

No offense.

Is anyone here running coilovers on a 940? If so could they tell me some of their experiences with them? I'd really like that alot, because then I might be able to make a more informed decision.

Current struts on the car at present are most likely stock ones, I was considering replacing'em with Bilstein's then I thought about Koni's, but the longer I think about it the more I feel that saving that money and using it to convert to coilovers could be a wise decision.

Back