• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wind's 242 Project

Wind

Essentials:
'93 B230F w/ LH2.4(B-cam and electric fan)
M47
Short Billstien HD's in the rear
Decarbons in the front
IPD Springs
25/25 swaybars

So swapping the engine was the first big hurdle, the second is finally jumped too. I've finally got a manual transmission in the car! Still buttoning up the wiring (which, lets be honest, will be happening for a while) but I'll be able to put the dash and cluster in tomorrow and have a "real car" again for the first time in months.

It's just an M47, and it's not really meant to be there for long, but I didn't feel like I was ready to try and do a whole transmission conversion without a manual car to stare at to begin with. There's always a difference in theoretical and actual knowledge of these things...so I figured I was safer to get a Volvo rig going before trying after something else. I'm glad I did this, particularly since I made a catastrophic error and put the clutch in backwards. Holy **** my poor car, thank god I pulled everything apart as soon as I did. I'm amazed something really bad didn't happen...

I've also finally gotten the wiring into a somewhat stable state. I've pretty much constructed my own custom (read: nightmare) harness out of the bits and pieces from the '93 donor car I picked apart. I've learned a hell of a lot about wiring, and I'm not nearly as afraid of the whole "wiring harness" thing as when I started out...however that said I cannot at all recommend trying to do things this way and I couldn't count the hours I've wasted into that particular part of the project.

I've finally gotten the R-Sport cluster figured (mostly) out, and the car will have a working tach for the first time in it's life with me! A working tach and a 5-speed...I thought this day might never come. It's been a pretty serious adventure so far, and I've not done a very good job documenting it here.

I'll try to have some pictures up of the car soon, it's in the best shape I've ever seen it in right now. . . which really does dull the pain of the past few months spent not driving my car! Give me a day or two of driving it and I won't remember ever being upset about the hours of work ;)

Last edited:
Clean and straight, shoudl be a great starting point.

What are you goals?

500 horsepower wheel, and never look back. :rofl:

In reality? Get it running, drivable, cleaned up, and turned into a solid daily driver.

In the long term maybe a B230FT swap? But for now I'll be happy with "running" ;-)

So, I didn't get home till 3 or 4pm today, so I didn't have too too much time to work today.

But here's what I've got

Got the wheel back together
73833_10150340486370495_679240494_17160319_1037939_n.jpg

150209_10150340486800495_679240494_17160325_1495273_n.jpg

Was going to put the rear seats back in...but realized I forgot the mounting hardware :p

Got the alternator back together and back in the car
76424_10150340633115495_679240494_17163258_4923984_n.jpg

As well as the radiator (but just to make sure everything fits..it's back out now)
148617_10150340697715495_679240494_17164477_1158906_n.jpg

That's all for now.

On the table is grabbing a few parts, and trying to figure out what all is supposed to be wrong with the wiring harness. As well as dropping the tank and getting the 10 year old fuel out :p

Yea, I'm amazed at the total lack of rust with this car. Aside from exterior paint failure patches there's no rust at all, so the structure is very sound.

Should be a good project, that'll hopefully run within a not too huge timeframe.

Yea, I'm amazed at the total lack of rust with this car. Aside from exterior paint failure patches there's no rust at all, so the structure is very sound.

Should be a good project, that'll hopefully run within a not too huge timeframe.

minimal rust is always a good start.

u crank the motor by hand yet? i'd do that before trying to start it.

what's the eta on trying to start it?

i'm a sucker for running 242s!

minimal rust is always a good start.

u crank the motor by hand yet? i'd do that before trying to start it.

what's the eta on trying to start it?

i'm a sucker for running 242s!

I'm still trying to figure out if the wiring harness is remotely in-tact...so I'm going to be sure I don't burn down the whole car before I start it :p

"crank the motor by hand" Is this just turning the red pulley assembly behind the fan? (I'm 17 and new to this if you can't tell :rofl:) If not, what's the process for that?

put a socket on the crank pulley and use a long breaker bar...with the car in neutral... turn the bolt.

in result, you're actually turning the rotating engine assembly and making sure it isn't seized

Make it into a 100% clean, sharp, fast 242!! You hve one of the best starting points that was in NC

Pull the cam cover off, and squirt some oil on the cam & top of valve collars so it'll run down the guides. She sat a while.

You're gonna need an electic or air impact gun to tighten & loosen that nut.. If you do not have one, you might as well buy one now. You'll be glad you did as you'll need it for other jobs on the car as well.

Last edited:
I know I haven't been very good with updating...but I've gotten a hell of a lot done recently...the car is almost completely stripped down and the great donor-retrofitting stage shall begin soon!

DFE6I.jpg

Back