• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Airbox Mod questions

Dutch-940

Heya everyone!

I'm new to the forum, I currently own a Blackberry Pearl 940 LPT, and want to make it HPT. I've read i need to modify the airbox, but I can't find a topic with pictures.
Is there anyone who can help me out?

Cheers!

I don't know where you've read that you have to modify it.
The airbox is literally the same for all B200/230 Turbo models (so your FK engine has the same as the FT) and their design is good enough for more power, which is well documented when you search around here.

Adding to that, the only difference between FK (LPT) and FT (HPT) engines is the wastegate actuator, nothing else.
They are physically the exact same engines.
FK engines are running with ~0,30bar, FT engines with ~0,60bar.

Just pull out the foam padding if it's still in there because it will be very crumbly at this age and can end up in the filter.
It's just in there for noise deafening.

I did do a similar mod than in the linked topic, meaning I opened up to box to suck in some air from inside the fender, but other than the turbo being much more audible now, I didn't notice anything else.

My car, which was delivered for the German market, didn't have any preheat flappy thing in the Airbox.
I think that was only for the cold climate countries (like Scandinavia etc.)

I think all is depending on model year.
A 1998 model (cold market if matters) has no flapper, both "flapper inlets" closed and a small front inlet and no foam insert.

On my 1991 940 SE, which is similar to an early 960 Turbo from Europe I believe, I just opened up my airbox to remove the foam. I also removed a plastic baffle that sits right in the center at the bottom, straddling the two tubes. Here is what the inside looks like with the foam and baffle gone, yours should be similar:

PXL-20210425-171817624.jpg

For what it's worth, mine doesn't have the hot side "flapper" that pulls warm air from the engine bay, as some models do, the inlet from the engine bay side is blocked off from the factory. I didn't pull apart the intake on the fender side to open it up at all, just left as is.

Mine were closed as well.

Like I mentioned above, I opened the one going into the fender.
But apart from more choo-choo noises from the turbo, it didn't make any kind of noticeable difference.

Back