• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Where do you buy your parts?

Magnanimous

When common go-to places like IPD, rockauto or pelicanparts don't have a random or obscure part, what parts sight do you generally turn to? I'm a little hesitant to just google the part number and just throw my credit card info at the first site that pops up.

Rock auto seems to have a lot of OEM and decent OE replacements you can't find elsewhere, and the prices are better than FCP or IPd or others. I'm also continually impressed by NAPA's quality and selection when I need something faster (granted I live right next to a major distribution center).

If it's something OEM Volvo, then I hit up Smith Volvo...

http://www.volvowholesalepartsdirect.com/

If I need it quickly, then I will see if Ravenna Volvo can pricematch them.

If it's something that I don't need OEM, I'll usually go through Autosport Seattle (a local shop that deals with Worldpac). If the item is more than $50, yeah, it's going to be a little more than iPd, due to sales tax, but I'll have it within a couple hours or so, instead of having to wait 2-3 days. Less than $50, then everything evens out, since the tax usually is equal or less than the shipping cost.

FCP Euro in CT or Tasca Volvo Online.

I made the mistake of going to the dealership yesterday because I need a water pump gasket and the two rubber seals quickly and felt like I was held up at gun point. $44.00 for the three parts. I've felt less taken advantage of leaving a Vegas strip club.

Just a quickie input... depending on the year of your car, Pelican Parts and ICP will have parts that claim to fit but, OF COURSE, don't once you try it. If you have a '70'smobile then watch out for them fuel filters and fuel pump check valves. Rock Auto & Volvo online warehouse are definitely my go to's, with the Volvo store being the most expesivest :D. Parts Geek is ok-ish, but more expensive on the same parts Rock Auto has (bosch injectors on PG = $40+, RA = $34).
ICP hasn't done me any justice yet, except on dem ceramic fuse pack (waaaay cheaper than autozone). Though I still have some love for them since they hold the real deal Holyfield on 240 suspension parts (poly that is). So their day is approaching. Ima counting on them.....

It used to be easy. Old school FCP Groton for everything. Now, the process becomes analysis paralysis as I compare prices and shipping costs between Amazon, Tasca, FCP, and Rockauto.

Rockauto always has the best prices but the shipping charges from all the different warehouses can add up quick, making it cheaper to buy from elsewhere.

FCP usually has decent prices and free shipping. UPS ground gets it to me in 1-2 days, and their free shipping is 3-4.

Amazon almost always is the most expensive, but sometimes it makes sense with Prime shipping.

Tasca consistently has good Genuine part prices, little cheaper than FCP.

Oh, I remember fondly the days of the old school FCP website. And their hole-in-the wall brick and mortar shop.

Tasca generally has the best prices for Genuine Volvo parts, but they can take up to a week to ship, so not ideal if you're in a crunch.

It used to be easy. Old school FCP Groton for everything. Now, the process becomes analysis paralysis as I compare prices and shipping costs between Amazon, Tasca, FCP, and Rockauto.
Ha, truth.

-eeuroparts
-Rock Auto
-ebay

When you know the p/n of what you are looking for, sometimes deals will turn up on ebay or Rock Auto that don't show when you search for your specific car.

The parking lots of Ikea, Crate & Barrel and vape shops. I never have to spend a penny. :-P

Ipd, fcp, tasca, rockauto and the local dealer.

I try not to succumb to corporate level marketing ploys but the customer service I've received from FCP simply can't be argued with. UNFORTUNATELY, I've had to interact with them on this twice because of an erroneous part being shipped in lieu of the part I needed, but they stepped up and got it handled. They've also accepted returns from me no questions asked and added "emergency" parts to an order mid process.

As I'm also a Saab owner (classic 900, fight me) I order a lot of stuff from eeuroparts and they seem to be the FCP equivalent there. As there is a fair amount of crossover on the Saab and the Volvo... they're a good place to check for weird stuff.

Tasca is also a given, but you've got to be a parts catalog person to really dig into it.

IPD is great in their support... but they've lately fallen to second and a half for me.

FCP usually has decent prices and free shipping. UPS ground gets it to me in 1-2 days, and their free shipping is 3-4.

I didn't mention FCP because someone else did.
I like FCP and appreciate their commitment to DIY'ers. I've rolled with their changes over the years.
Their lifetime guaranty is the real deal and I've used it with no hassle whatsoever.

"Analysis Paralysis"

Rockauto always has the best prices but the shipping charges from all the different warehouses can add up quick, making it cheaper to buy from elsewhere.

Amazon almost always is the most expensive, but sometimes it makes sense with Prime shipping.

Tasca consistently has good Genuine part prices, little cheaper than FCP.

Oh, I remember fondly the days of the old school FCP website. And their hole-in-the wall brick and mortar shop.

I know this is an older thread, but thanks for that. Analysis Paralysis is exactly what I am routinely experiencing. I thought I was the only one.

Back