• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 945T engine code 2-4-1 socket 6

My '93 945T got a CEL turn on the other day. When I checked the codes I just got one form socket 6, 2-4-1 when I look this up it says: EGR system flow too low, Faulty wiring, EGR, EGR
vacuum or controller; EGR temp sensor and symptoms could be poor idling. I have noticed that sometimes the car will die after I start it, usually after it has been driven for a while. If I rev the engine for a few seconds the idle will set and it will idle fine from there.

Any ideas on where to start tracking this problem down?

Do a visual first. Vacuum line from manifold to the solenoid on the driver side strut tower, then to the valve itself. Also check EGR valve temp sensor for good connection and wiring. For functional checks you need vacuum pump/gauge or at least a piece of vacuum hose about 3 ft long.

Thanks for the feedback! I found a loose piece of vacuum tube coming from the manifold and replaced that. I cleared the CEL and haven’t seen it turn back on yet. Saw a couple of videos using a pump/gauge to test the valve, how do you test with the 3ft of vacuum tube?

Or bypass the vacuum valve- that should make the idle rough. Doesn't have to be 3 ft of vacuum hose, you can use some kind of splice. Hollowed out writing pan can work :)

Thanks for all the info! So far tracking down the little vacuum leaks seems to have stopped the rough idle and the CEL hasn’t turned back on yet, fingers crossed...

On my 1991 740 Turbo I have a "dummy" EGR temp sensor plugged in, but not installed into the piping. I do not get any "lack of flow" codes.

I just know that the sensors go open circuit, or very high resistance, and cause the flow code. Approx 500 ohms is a good sensor. I have seen them at thousands of ohms and that will cause a code!

Thanks for posting back with the results. Glad you got it. That is a reminder to me to tell brickers to inspect their hoses and rubber elbows before anything else.

Back