• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Exhaust manifold rattly heat shield

mhgreen

The heat shield that involves what used to be the warm air intake system rattles and is annoying. Is the shield itself protecting anything? Once the warm air intake system has been dismantled can I safely remove the shield that bolts into the manifold?

^ sorry. Yes B230. I was about to take it off there and just wanted to double check. My '86 never had one so I was fairly confident it was okay. I just removed it, 3/4 bolts came out fine, one broke off but whatever no harm done

My b21f parts motor doesn't have one from the factory. Mounting bosses on the cast iron are non-existent

Lucky. Smog in CA requires the heatshield installed with warm air hose attached to airbox. I've failed visual inspection in the past because of this, for a 1987 240.

Ive always removed mine without issue...that i know of.

We are lucky in NC i dont even need to inspect my 85 any longer. My 93 passes but they pretty much just make sure the lights and horn work.

Back