• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Rear Brake Line Problem

nate2k5

So I made it home for the holidays but am having an issue I hope I can resolve before I head back.

My rear left brake hardline that goes into the caliper is leaking. I know not many local places carry the correct size fitting to fix it. Ideally I could find the complete line with fittings and flares already made so I can just connect and go.

I have seen the front brake hardlines and the long rear but never the short rear. Are the fronts long enough to do the rear?

Auto Zone should have the right lines. You might have to get whatever length they have however. I believe one time I just used a slightly longer line and used a tubing bender to make a few extra curves. Harbor Freight probably has a cheap tubing bender.

Best if you can take in an old line for comparison.

I know that I have replaced a few lines with Auto Zone stuff. They have European, Japanese and USA style lines. But it's best to take along the old one to get an exact match.

Make sure to bleed that line when done.

No the front hardlines won't reach.

There should be something thaat you can make work at a good auto parts store as mentioned, but they will be steel lines not nickel.

Volvo hardlines after 76 are made from cunifer or cupro-nickel. This article from Skinned Knuckles magazine explains the advantages of the material (Volvo content).

I know that I have replaced a few lines with Auto Zone stuff. They have European, Japanese and USA style lines. But it's best to take along the old one to get an exact match.

Make sure to bleed that line when done.

*AND*...BEFORE you crack the line put a double layer of "microwave SARAN WRAP" under the reservoir CAP to slow down the "leakdown" from the open line...
(essentially sealing the VENT HOLE in the cap....)

the caveat is that you don't want to BOTTOM OUT THE BRAKE PEDAL when ya
get to the bleeding part.... put a towel up against the firewall and push GENTLY
on the pedal until you feel the resistance of the towel....you'll get the air out
tuit de suite *and* you you won't shred the cups inside the MC bore...

carry on!....

Last edited:
http://www.fedhillusa.com/
fedhillmain-merged2.jpg

*my* source...

I just redid my rear brakes and have a left over rear driver's side hard line. Let me know...I can pop it in the mail if you cover shipping...good thing it is the short line.

*AND*...BEFORE you crack the line put a double layer of "microwave SARAN WRAP" under the reservoir CAP to slow down the "leakdown" from the open line...
(essentially sealing the VENT HOLE in the cap....)

I've found that saran wrap a piece of plastic under the cap slows down the leak; I've since discovered that a piece of masking tape sealing the vent hole in the top of the cap works even better - at least on mine. When I removed two front lines and capped the distribution block while doing a front brake upgrade, virtually nothing came out of the system as long as the vent to the reservoir cap was taped over.

Nate - I'd check around for a junkyard where ever you are for the holidays and see if you can score the line you need off a car there.

I've found that saran wrap a piece of plastic under the cap slows down the leak; I've since discovered that a piece of masking tape sealing the vent hole in the top of the cap works even better - at least on mine. When I removed two front lines and capped the distribution block while doing a front brake upgrade, virtually nothing came out of the system as long as the vent to the reservoir cap was taped over.

Nate - I'd check around for a junkyard where ever you are for the holidays and see if you can score the line you need off a car there.

*YUP*....just easier to slap the saran wrap to it...I've had a few
"go-rounds" here and other fora where the *un-believers* claim
*NO vent* to the MC...uh huh...troot dat! :):)

thanks for the tip guys. will a local place likely have lines with the correct fittings and flares? i don't want to have to reuse my old fittings or make the flares. that's kinda the problem now, my flare is leaking. i would like to just be able to pick up a line with the correct fittings/flare in round the correct length.

You can buy one of these close to the correct length, but the fitting on one end will need to be changed. Most import repair shops will have the proper flare tool.

You can buy one of these close to the correct length, but the fitting on one end will need to be changed. Most import repair shops will have the proper flare tool.

why does the fitting need changed. i am looking to buy a line that i have to do no work to. i can't risk taking the line off to compare and being stranded if it breaks.

The inboard fitting is female and attaches to the flex hose. The fitting can be reused but you'll need to cut the line and swap fittings. If you get a line that's too long, it can be cut to the correct length before flaring.

240RearBrakeLine.jpg

Back