• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

if you dont remove the clutch fan an electric fan probably wont fit.

and the clutch fan is always stealing power.

just less when its cold.

old clutch fans are usually burt and rob too much power anyway.

so you should also buy a new clutch if your even going to attempt to use both kinds of fans.

dont use both kinds, it doesnt really make sense to do so.

davidmacq said:
I have a 940.... Is the 940 electric fan suitable...

I used a fan from a 960 for my e-fan conversion. Works great. I know that others have done this too. I think the 940s had the same fan.

You want the radiator fan, the one behind the radiator. Be sure to take the plastic shroud too. The relay for the fan is on passenger side, behind the headlight. Take that also, and as much length of wire as you can get that's attached to the relay. There are 2 thin ones that are grounded to 'trip' the relay. Red and green power out go to the fan. Heavy red (power in) goes to the battery. On mine, the heavy red wire had a fusible link in it, but I only found that because I traced that wire from the relay all the way to where it ended at the battery and got the whole thing. Definitely worth the effort.

The relay is excellently built. Mine was from a roughly 10-year-old car, and the gasketing on the relay terminals is so good that the contacts in there are still shiny as new. That's a good thing for a fan that can draw maybe 27A. That's another reason I like having the fusible link - I didn't have to bother setting up a high-amp-rated fuse for this project.

brucepick said:
I used a fan from a 960 for my e-fan conversion. Works great. I know that others have done this too. I think the 940s had the same fan.
960/940/850 all had the same 2 speed electric fan.

15 months after installing the 940 fan in the 240, it finally blew the 30a fuse this past weekend. I caught it in traffic as the temp gauge (compensation board removed) spike past the half way point but long before the red. I replaced the fuse (always carry spare fuses in the glove box) and I was back in business in 3 minutes.
This is the wiring diagram for the Volvo fan and relay.
c70c43d2.jpg

I found a 940 in my junk yard here locally, and I am a little confused. I have an '87 240 DL automatic, and my A/c Sucks when the car is not moving. I added a fan to my A/C Condesor and it was working great until it started getting into the '80s. I want to convert to e-fan. I know I need the relay and the wiring, But how do I remove that big monsterous belt driven fan in front of the B230F engine? and how do I mount the 940 e-fan. ?

dezquest said:
I want to convert to e-fan. I know I need the relay and the wiring, But how do I remove that big monsterous belt driven fan in front of the B230F engine? and how do I mount the 940 e-fan. ?
The easy way out on removing the fan is to remove the entire assembly and replace the waterpump studs with short bolts.

As far as mounting it the e-fan, you could do it this way...
<a href=http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=34418 target= blank> Custom Shroud</a>

OK, I'll bite...

I found a fan (forget from what... Ford?) 17" and fits near perfect in the existing shroud provided for the stock fan (760 b230 etc.). But it only just interferes with waterpump studs. Anyone have a source for short waterpump studs or P/N? Anyone have a single pulley setup? I'm about >1/4" away from having it fit. With Dremel I've taken about as much material away from the Ford? housing as I am comfortable with...

...OK and so I followed the link in the last post and what do you know? I think thats the same fan! I'm in the same boat.. except that instead of the 5+ inches of clearance I have an intercooler and am right up against the water pump studs with the same setup. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
765tiME said:
OK, I'll bite...

I found a fan (forget from what... Ford?) 17" and fits near perfect in the existing shroud provided for the stock fan (760 b230 etc.). But it only just interferes with waterpump studs. Anyone have a source for short waterpump studs or P/N? Anyone have a single pulley setup? I'm about >1/4" away from having it fit. With Dremel I've taken about as much material away from the Ford? housing as I am comfortable with...

...OK and so I followed the link in the last post and what do you know? I think thats the same fan! I'm in the same boat.. except that instead of the 5+ inches of clearance I have an intercooler and am right up against the water pump studs with the same setup. Hmmmm.

you could just replace the studs with bolts

765tiME said:
OK, I'll bite...

Share what you find out as I'll be in the same boat soon when we +T the 240 in a few months.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Might be a week or so... before I get to it to put it in, more pressing projects at hand. I'll try with bolts instead of studs and check for clearance. Hope it works because the fan fits the stock shroud so nice, and its dual speed.

I did a E-fan on my 244 6 or so months ago and have put on 6000 miles on it with no problem. I just redid the the wiring today just cause I was board and wanted it to look pretty :-P. For the water pump studs, I just flip them around and it works just fine. I can takes pictures if anyone would like.

Later,
Adam

OK, I'll bite...

Can't you just shear a little bit off the studs with your dremel?

Can't you just shear a little bit off the studs with your dremel?

Yes...just be sure you thread a nut on the stud, cut off the extra part of the unneeded stud, then remove the nut. This will re-cut the threads after the cutting wheel does it's havoc.

what would the cons be if you just had the fan going at all times? i have the fan in the article and i have a crazy old man who knows cars. so all i can see is that sitting in traffic you would get annoyed with the sound?

I am ready to do this conversion, and I think I've found a good candidate. I dont like buying used if I can help it, so I've found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-INCH-ELECTRIC-COOLING-FAN-PRO-SERIES-14-INCH-FAN_W0QQitemZ8026867023QQcategoryZ33600QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am just worried with the drain it will put on my alternator... will it be able to handle it? I am going to be running Sirius Satellite radio, and a 52x4 watt CD deck.

Should be no problem, it's when you get into amps and subs that the problem really comes up. I have a 350WRMS sub and a 400W MTX amp, as well as four speakers and a high end deck, and power windows, locks, car alarm, etc...
Basically I wouldn't worry about it until you start getting amps. I noticed my headlights would VERY SLIGHTLY dim when the bass really hit, at idle. I got a 1 farad capacitor and it's no longer an issue. You'll be okay, as long as your battery is in decent shape.

Back