• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mustang Brake Master Cylinder

Yes. This discussion is around using large brakes, which requires deleting the triangular split system.

Executed the R brakes conversion (f+r) on my 1993 960 (B234FT). Also use the CENTRIC 13061062 Master Cylinder for a 1994 Mustang. Excellent brake performance, far beyond stock. The only thing still missing is the Brake Fluid Level Sensor Connector. Need to hook up the sensor to the dash warning light in the unlikely event brake fluid level gets critical. Can anybody tell me where I can purchase that sensor connector?

8In1SVb.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Yeah…I just left mine unplugged. Otherwise a trip to pull a part for the pigtail harness is probably in your future.

If you follow Dave’s Big brake thread on his site, he discusses master cylinders at length. He has some good evidence that the Mustang MC might be too large, increasing pedal effort. He has a good example of use of a Volvo 740 MC in the R conversion with pics. I am doing an R brake upgrade and will use the 740 MC and see how it goes.
Thanks Dave!

Discussed the use of the Mustang mc with Dave. Despite his assumption I have nothing but positive experiences with my R brakes combined with the Mustang mc. Pedal effort is like stock with my 960 although the breaking effect is sensational. Required some getting used to. I endorse Dave his theory, so I do not rule out the possibility that my conversion is an incidental case. I wonder if there are more similar experiences.
However I am still searching for the missing brake fluid level sensor connector. Despite several suggestions untill now without result.

Last edited:
Use the reservoir cap with the float in it, hiperforauto and planetman sell these here. Easy solution if you are worried your brake fluid is going to leak out.

Discussed the use of the Mustang mc with Dave. Despite his assumption I have nothing but positive experiences with my R brakes combined with the Mustang mc.

It might be a good time to start referring to the "Mustang MC" as a "94-95 Cobra" or "94-95 GT." They're not the same. I see lots of people discussing their use of the GT master, which has a 27 mm bore. This is the one I have issues with. The Cobra MC, however, has a bore of 23.8 mm, which is a more reasonable size. And the Cobra is what Homer refers to is his Porsche big brake thread and other threads.
Dave

It might be a good time to start referring to the "Mustang MC" as a "94-95 Cobra" or "94-95 GT." They're not the same. I see lots of people discussing their use of the GT master, which has a 27 mm bore. This is the one I have issues with. The Cobra MC, however, has a bore of 23.8 mm, which is a more reasonable size. And the Cobra is what Homer refers to is his Porsche big brake thread and other threads.
Dave

Thats an important differentiation

The 94-95 Mustang Cobra master cylinder has a bore size of 15/16 inch. The 94-95 Mustang GT master cylinder has a bore size of 1-1/16 inch. In my opinion 1-1/6 inch is too big, causes hard pedal.

I'm using the GT master (Raybestos MC390185) with R calipers on all 4 corners. Brake effort is absolutely fine; pedal pressure is not excessive with no vacuum in the booster, either.

Just to clarify, one post i made in my project thread said cobra, an error of mine. The correct MC is in fact the mustang GT version with the 1.0625" (27mm bore)

The 94-95 Mustang Cobra master cylinder has a bore size of 15/16 inch. The 94-95 Mustang GT master cylinder has a bore size of 1-1/16 inch. In my opinion 1-1/6 inch is too big, causes hard pedal.

I matched this MC to work with the cayenne/touareg/q7 brakes. I would NOT expect it to feel right with other random calipers.

I've run the 94-95 Mustang GT master cylinder both with the Cayenne brakes and with the R brakes and the pedal effort was fine with both. Both the Cayenne and R rear calipers have the exact same piston sizes and the Cayenne front caliper pistons have ~15% more area than the R calipers so I don't think there should be a drastic difference between the two as far as master cylinder choice goes

I'm running a 1999 Ford Ranger master on my 88 765 with Jumbo brakes. it has the correctly angled reservoir for horizontal mounting. If I recall the bore is 15/16. This master did require some adapting of the outlet ports.

With V70II front calipers, XC90 rear calipers and 336/308 discs the 27mm Mustang master worked great. Now with V70II front calipers, 302mm discs and stock rear brakes I wouldn't mind having a notch smaller master.

Back